Looking for hdmi-based dynamic backlights for monitor

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
deama

Looking for hdmi-based dynamic backlights for monitor

Post by deama » 01 Aug 2020, 14:37

Couple years ago I made my own dynamic backlights using an arduino uno, and the software ambibox. The problem is that this uses up a decent amount of my CPU, about 1 core, which may not seem to be that much, but I've noticed it also interferes with other stuff even though I've set the core affinities to not interfere with each other.
The way the device I made works is the CPU processes the edges of my monitor, calculates the average colour from them, and sends those back to the arduino, which distributes it among the correct LEDs.

So now I'm looking for some sort of device that can simply take the input from a hdmi cable (duplicate of my monitor), calculate the average colours on the edges of the screen, and send it to the correct LEDs all by itself.

Is there such a thing on the market? Not really bothered about the price range too much, as long as it'll last for a while and can change the lights at a reasonable pace (30fps minimum if this metric is valid).
I tried to find some myself, but the closest I could find is having to custom make one using a rasberry pie, is there a prebuilt device instead?

For those that don't know, dynamic backlights basically go on the back of your monitor and each LED is meant to represent a corner of the screen, e.g. I have 56 LEDs, each one mapped to a corner, and each one is responsible for about 100x150 pixels. These lights shine the average colour of what is happening on the screen, giving some nice effects when watching movies and especially playing games.