Best monitor for someone who is *not* a competetive gamer?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ropeadope

Best monitor for someone who is *not* a competetive gamer?

Post by ropeadope » 09 Aug 2020, 03:16

Hello! I realize this is the blur busters forum, and the focus is on high refresh rates and low response times for competitive gaming, but those issues are on the back burner for me (though still somewhat important) as I'm not a competitive gamer, and I'm just trying to buy the best all-around monitor I can get and use it for 5+ years. Best color/picture, best viewing angles, reliable and hassle free. I've been reading lots of posts here and you folks are very knowledgeable, and I don't know where else to ask for recommendations.

Here's what I'm looking for:
IPS
24-25" screen preferred (1080p)
Minimum of 144hz freesync/gsync

I recently bought an AOC 24G2 after hearing it highly praised many times, but the viewing angles were quite poor. I didn't know IPS monitors could actually have bad viewing angles, but it was similar to a TN monitor that regard - I'm back to my 8 year old Dell IPS monitor which has much improved viewing angles over the 24G2. Also the 24G2 came with dead pixels, but instead of exchanging it for another, I decided to return for a refund. Gaming on it was pretty great, though, for the limited time I tested it out. It's hard to go back to 60hz once you've used 144hz :D. I do game a lot, just not competitive games where every millisecond counts.

So now I'm back to square one and don't know what to buy. I'm looking into the MAG251rx, the XB253Q GX, and the AW2521HFL just because I've had really good experience with Dell monitors over many years (assuming they still produce high quality product, but I don't know). Even though I don't need high-end gaming monitor, it seems that the highest quality monitors are also the best gaming monitors at the moment. I'd be glad to check out anything else that you recommend though. I'm just trying to avoid panels that are known or are likely to have substantial issues of some kind. Image retention is an issue that keeps coming up in this class of gaming monitors. Do the monitors I mentioned I'm looking into buying have solid IPS viewing angles? I would hope so! I wonder if I might just be better off going with a 1440p 27" IPS for the same price, which would be the LG 27GL83A-B. The downsides there being I find 27" to be too large (maybe I could get used to it, or position it further away from where I sit), and 1440p gaming requires higher-end PC hardware, which would cost me a lot more.

I don't see any clear winner right now, and I don't know if there are any new monitors set to be released soon in the same category. So any advice/recommendations would be awesome!
Last edited by ropeadope on 12 Aug 2020, 04:19, edited 1 time in total.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Best monitor for someone who is *not* a competetive gamer?

Post by RealNC » 09 Aug 2020, 07:20

ropeadope wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 03:16
I didn't know IPS monitors could actually have bad viewing angles, but it was similar to a TN monitor that regard
Yeah, this was pointed out in the pcmonitors review:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-24g ... ing_angles
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

ropeadope

Re: Best monitor for someone who is *not* a competetive gamer?

Post by ropeadope » 10 Aug 2020, 02:50

RealNC wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 07:20
ropeadope wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 03:16
I didn't know IPS monitors could actually have bad viewing angles, but it was similar to a TN monitor that regard
Yeah, this was pointed out in the pcmonitors review:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-24g ... ing_angles
That picture they showed captures it perfectly also. I think I must have glazed over that part of the review originally :? , I wrongly assumed all IPS monitor would have great viewing angles. I assume most of them still do, but it's definitely something I'll look at more closely before purchasing my next monitor.