The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
TakenZ

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Post by TakenZ » 24 Dec 2020, 20:33

Is G-Sync compatible with 280 HZ? Why would anyone use 240HZ over 280 HZ after finding these settings?

StareX

Post by StareX » 24 Dec 2020, 20:50

evmyskov wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 05:17
evmyskov wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 07:05
Hello everyone.
I registered here to find out if there's a fix for "mouse trail" problem with the monitor. I've seen it somewhere both on this forum and reddit that users experience "mouse trail" even on 240 Hz. So do I.
My mouse polling is 1000Hz, G-sync on, all drivers are set up, refresh rate is 240 Hz. And yes, I've checked mouse settings in Windows 10 to make sure there is no trail enabled.

Has anyone else experienced such problem?
Recently I started experiencing screen going on and off randomly - both in office apps and games. This is quite annoying. Any fix for this?
I already disable fast boot on my system, but no changes yet.

Turning on and off like a flash of black screen for 1 second and then comes back?

It's a Display Port issue, happens to my ASUS PG279Q aswell, a black flash for 1 second like the monitor goes off and then after that 1 second it comes back on.

It also happens on both of my friends VG259QM's, and often times resets the refresh rate to 144Hz instead of 280Hz mid game... and there's no way to change it unless you restart your PC or restart the video drivers either via a combination of key strokes or CRU's restart64.exe trick.

Btw, speaking of which.. Is there a fix for that? lol, that the refresh rate resets to 144Hz mid game? XD

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Dec 2020, 21:16

TakenZ wrote:
24 Dec 2020, 20:33
Is G-Sync compatible with 280 HZ?
G-SYNC is compatible at 280 Hz, yes.
TakenZ wrote:
Why would anyone use 240HZ over 280 HZ after finding these settings
Historically, this is more useful for motion blur reduction -- ELMB / ELMB-SYNC since there's less strobe crosstalk (fewer double images) when you use framerate=Hz and Hz has refreshrate headroom (so that LCD GtG fits better between refresh cycles).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 24 Dec 2020, 21:36

StareX wrote:
24 Dec 2020, 20:50
evmyskov wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 05:17
evmyskov wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 07:05
Hello everyone.
I registered here to find out if there's a fix for "mouse trail" problem with the monitor. I've seen it somewhere both on this forum and reddit that users experience "mouse trail" even on 240 Hz. So do I.
My mouse polling is 1000Hz, G-sync on, all drivers are set up, refresh rate is 240 Hz. And yes, I've checked mouse settings in Windows 10 to make sure there is no trail enabled.

Has anyone else experienced such problem?
Recently I started experiencing screen going on and off randomly - both in office apps and games. This is quite annoying. Any fix for this?
I already disable fast boot on my system, but no changes yet.

Turning on and off like a flash of black screen for 1 second and then comes back?

It's a Display Port issue, happens to my ASUS PG279Q aswell, a black flash for 1 second like the monitor goes off and then after that 1 second it comes back on.

It also happens on both of my friends VG259QM's, and often times resets the refresh rate to 144Hz instead of 280Hz mid game... and there's no way to change it unless you restart your PC or restart the video drivers either via a combination of key strokes or CRU's restart64.exe trick.

Btw, speaking of which.. Is there a fix for that? lol, that the refresh rate resets to 144Hz mid game? XD
Warzone seemed to bring my refresh rate down to 144hz(probably due to my alt tabbing but still that shouldn't happen), had to turn my monitor off and on then select 280hz again in NCP, game seems kinda a mess. Hasn't happened since using CRU to remove all hz except for 280hz.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Dec 2020, 23:41

Black flashes can be minimized by:

1. Making sure VRR is identical inside/outside game.
Set G-SYNC to Windowed (so Desktop+Game has VRR) or NONE (so neither Desktop+Game has VRR)

2. Making sure Hz is identical inside/outside game.

One easy way is to use ToastyX CRU to delete all refresh rates but one, but that can be problematic. If the monitor is compatible with 1920x1079 without scaling it, then create 1920x1079 with just one refresh rate -- and configure both game and Windows to it.

This can eliminate FSE mode-switch black-flashing during Alt-Tab.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TakenZ

Post by TakenZ » 25 Dec 2020, 01:15

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
24 Dec 2020, 21:16
TakenZ wrote:
Is G-Sync compatible with 280 HZ?
G-SYNC is compatible at 280 Hz, yes.
TakenZ wrote:
Why would anyone use 240HZ over 280 HZ after finding these settings
Historically, this is more useful for motion blur reduction -- ELMB / ELMB-SYNC since there's less strobe crosstalk (fewer double images) when you use framerate=Hz and Hz has refreshrate headroom (so that LCD GtG fits better between refresh cycles).
Interesting, okay. I got this monitor because I like the fast IPS and I’m future proofing myself, but mainly because of the G-Sync. I’ve read all of the stuff about how to set up G-Sync correctly (V-Sync in NVIDIA Control Panel but not in game and 3 FPS under Hertz cap so 277 FPS cap for me), so I think I’m good there. If I’m not able to get over 200 FPS in games, which I’ve read on this forum is the minimum amount for ELMB-Sync to not produce much strobe crosstalk, should I disable ELMB?

Warzone is the best example of why I wanted G-Sync so badly. My FPS jumps from 80-130 all the time and I wanted the game to feel consistent no matter the FPS. G-Sync should do that, right?

Finally, this thread doesn’t have the best color settings and IPS Profile settings listed. Is that listed somewhere else on blurbusters?

davidm71

Post by davidm71 » 25 Dec 2020, 12:58

Hi,

Excuse my ignorance on what overdrive is or does or how it works but confused what does the term OD60 vs OD80 mean? I bought the VG259QM and using it with an AMD 5700 XT calibrated with a Spider 5 pro. Probably have to throw out the calibration file and start over. Where should I start?

Also I loose 10 bit support after passing 144 hz. Read some of you guys are able to set 10 bit at 240hz?

Thanks

Lucasre5

Post by Lucasre5 » 26 Dec 2020, 00:34

guys I don't know if this has already been discussed here, but the asus display widget works on the asus vg259qm, you can change the color presets, color temperature, brightness, contrast, saturation and some other things only in the softwere, I just couldn't get it the automatic preset mode according to the program you are running but it helps a lot. I managed to run it by downloading in this model in support / drivers and softweres: https://rog.asus.com/br/Monitors/Below- ... /helpdesk/

DukeDice929

Post by DukeDice929 » 26 Dec 2020, 17:22

TakenZ wrote:
25 Dec 2020, 01:15
Warzone is the best example of why I wanted G-Sync so badly. My FPS jumps from 80-130 all the time and I wanted the game to feel consistent no matter the FPS. G-Sync should do that, right?

Finally, this thread doesn’t have the best color settings and IPS Profile settings listed. Is that listed somewhere else on blurbusters?
With this monitor use settings: Overclocking 280Hz, Overdrive 60, Adaptive Sync On, Vsync On (driver or in-game) and cap fps below refresh rate.
This should be enough for smooth G-Sync experience in Warzone (when framerate dips below 100fps) and singleplayer games.
* if fps below 200 = don't use ELMB!
For ICC profile and colors see the Rtings review: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... ng-vg259qm
My bad English :0

TakenZ

Post by TakenZ » 27 Dec 2020, 03:08

DukeDice929 wrote:
26 Dec 2020, 17:22
TakenZ wrote:
25 Dec 2020, 01:15

Turn on Overclocking 280Hz, Overdrive 60, Adaptive Sync On and forget about everything else. This should be enough for smooth G-Sync experience in Warzone (when framerate dips below 100fps) and singleplayer games.
* fps below 200 = don't use ELMB!
For ICC profile and colors see the Rtings review:
So not the secret overdrive setting of 120? Also, I’ve read that G-Sync is still worth it in games where I get FPS high enough to constantly be over the refresh rate of the monitor, but I don’t see how that could be true. G-Sync adds input lag and makes frames appear at the same time (so I’ve read), but when your FPS is over the refresh rate constantly, why would you want the extra input lag?