The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
axaro1

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Post by axaro1 » 14 Oct 2020, 17:07

PixelDuck87 wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 16:26
Is VividPixel just a sharpness setting or something else?
̶I̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶h̶a̶v̶e̶s̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶a̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶h̶a̶r̶p̶n̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶f̶i̶l̶t̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶h̶a̶r̶p̶e̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶l̶g̶o̶r̶i̶t̶h̶m̶, IMO it does a great job increasing sharpness but the presence of mild white artifacts even with 25 is something that you normally wouldn't get from a sharpness filter.
Last edited by axaro1 on 16 Oct 2020, 02:48, edited 1 time in total.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 16 Oct 2020, 02:37

axaro1 wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 17:07

̶I̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶h̶a̶v̶e̶s̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶a̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶h̶a̶r̶p̶n̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶f̶i̶l̶t̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶h̶a̶r̶p̶e̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶l̶g̶o̶r̶i̶t̶h̶m̶, IMO it does a great job increasing sharpness but the presence of mild white artifacts even with 25 is something that you normally wouldn't get from a sharpness filter.
I want to correct myself, oversharpening can creates white borders artifacts due to how sharpening filters operate over pixels (sharpening filters are no more than convolution operations while considering pixels zones as matrices, there is no low/high value correction).

It's actually possible that it was not a sharpening algorithm (which I'm now more prone to believe due to the way raw sharpening can affect color borders by adding deep blacks and whites in pixel segmentation and by confirming the lack of increase in processing lag by testing with a 960fps camera [±1.04ms margin of error] and counting each pixel between input-output on the screen, a standard monitor sharpening filter has no significant computational cost).
Level 50 and higher are most likely just a bad use of convolution offsets/shiftings but there is no way to know it unless I get my hands on the firmware code.

I personally would not use/code a sharpening algorithm without adding a smoothing filter for noise reduction to normalize the matrices results, which is something used in post processing algohoritm like the ones used in Madvr (Lumasharpen to name one).

Vividpixel is probably just a sharpening filter overtuned at 50 or higher, this doesn't mean that 50 shouldn't be used if it gives you a competitive advantage but just stick to 25 if you are oversensitive to artifacts but you are still looking for blur reduction.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

CortexFPS

Post by CortexFPS » 16 Oct 2020, 04:28

Guys, I have two questions, I decided to buy this monitor, on some games I don't have a stable framerate of 280hz like valorant and apex legends

1. Do you recommend using the blur busters method Gsync on + vsync nvcp on + 277 fps? Is it a must have to use regardless? Even on stable games like rainbow6 and overwatch that keep the correct frame rate?

2. should I use adaptivesync? adds delay? using it excludes the gsync method?

thanks everyone in advance
Last edited by CortexFPS on 17 Oct 2020, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
In use: 27GR95QE-B | XG2431
Used before: PG248QP | XL2566K | XL2546K/S | XV252QF | AW2521H | VG259QM | PG279QM | AW2721D
Mouse: OP1 8K | Zaunkoenig M2K
Keyboard: Wooting 60HE
PC: 5800x3D; RTX 3080

pstn

Post by pstn » 16 Oct 2020, 07:31

Quick question based on the rtings review. Do you guys think input lag @ 1280x1024 (240hz) would also be 1.9ms? I'm just afraid that running anything other than 1080p@240 might increase input lag (based on the terrible input lag @ 60hz vs other monitors). What do you guys think?

hzl

Post by hzl » 16 Oct 2020, 08:43

hzl wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 12:11
I just got it and it feels VERY responsive!
Im not using any sync at the moment at it feels great. Having almost no screen tearing feels very nice!
280hz seems to be stable (probably always the case) but do you guys think its gonna change the lifespan of the monitor in any way?
A little update:

i still have the one here i received first and it had almost perfect backlight (bleeding), great colors, deep blacks, nice white but there is something underneath a pixel which makes it look like its dead pixel. It's almost in the middle of the screen and bothers me.

So i bought another one from "Saturn" and it had exactly ONE pixel which didnt change it's color to black. I went back to the shop and returned it. The guy working there told me its quite common and said that i only get one replacement and after that i would have to keep it. So i just returned it.

Two days ago i bought another one from "Media Markt". This one has really bad backlight bleeding but no dead or stuck pixels.

Im completely lost. I like this monitor a lot (and by that i mean the first one i got from Amazon). But there seems to be really bad/no quality control regarding the panel by Asus.

I dont know what to do. Im about to quit my plan of getting a new GPU and a new monitor and just plug in my XL2411z again so i can forget about it :/
Attachments
the first one i got is on the right side
the first one i got is on the right side
L MediaMarkt R Amazon klein.jpg (489.11 KiB) Viewed 7794 times

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 16 Oct 2020, 10:05

Does anyone know how to make alt tabbing faster on this monitor or I'm guessing it's not possible, my MSI and Alienware alt tabbed really quick in and out of games and this one is so slow with the same games. So slow that sometimes it takes so long that the screen just turns off and I have to click the power button 2 times to turn it back on which is odd, tried changing the from GPU, monitor etc but no difference, all were on Native 1080p in the Nvidia settings too.

hzl wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 08:43
hzl wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 12:11
I just got it and it feels VERY responsive!
Im not using any sync at the moment at it feels great. Having almost no screen tearing feels very nice!
280hz seems to be stable (probably always the case) but do you guys think its gonna change the lifespan of the monitor in any way?
A little update:

i still have the one here i received first and it had almost perfect backlight (bleeding), great colors, deep blacks, nice white but there is something underneath a pixel which makes it look like its dead pixel. It's almost in the middle of the screen and bothers me.

So i bought another one from "Saturn" and it had exactly ONE pixel which didnt change it's color to black. I went back to the shop and returned it. The guy working there told me its quite common and said that i only get one replacement and after that i would have to keep it. So i just returned it.

Two days ago i bought another one from "Media Markt". This one has really bad backlight bleeding but no dead or stuck pixels.

Im completely lost. I like this monitor a lot (and by that i mean the first one i got from Amazon). But there seems to be really bad/no quality control regarding the panel by Asus.

I dont know what to do. Im about to quit my plan of getting a new GPU and a new monitor and just plug in my XL2411z again so i can forget about it :/
Welcome to the panel lottery where monitors have so many little issues and you have to find a perfect one or just get used to the small imperfections. The one with mediocre blacklight bleeding do you notice it at normal contrast/brightness while playing in a normal lit room? if not then keep that one.

hzl

Post by hzl » 17 Oct 2020, 12:44

The backlight bleeding of the left monitor looks as bad IRL as it does on the picture. Its not as visible in games but on the desktop its pretty obvious.
How difficult is it to get one without bad backlight bleeding and no dead or stuck pixels?
Its just so unlucky that the right monitor has this pixel issue... would have been perfect otherwise :(

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 17 Oct 2020, 12:53

My first Asus was perfect with no BLB but had a dead pixel, my second has almost perfect BLB but can't notice it unless I turn off all the lights. My Alienware had bad BLB as did my MSI.

hzl

Post by hzl » 17 Oct 2020, 13:43

That does not make me have hope.

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 17 Oct 2020, 14:16

Yep it's one of the worst PC parts to buy with all the issues it could have, at least there's good shops with good return policies around