The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
hzl

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Post by hzl » 31 Oct 2020, 14:34

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 20:20
hzl wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 09:09
How do you guys fix slow (2-3 seconds) alt tabbing from fullscreen applications to the desktop and also back into the application such as a game? It takes like 3 seconds for the monitor to switch. I haven't had this issue with my XL2411Z. Whenever i was playing CSGO it was pretty much instant to switch to the desktop and back into the game. This monitor seems to basically shut down for a bit before showing the game :/
drjackmann wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 14:11
I found no fix for this during my time of ownership.
It seems to be slightly worse with ELMB enabled but even having it disabled results in a ~2 second delay when tabbing in/out of game.
This is the mode-change blackout (FreeSync ON/OFF, or ULMB ON/OFF, or Hz-change).

The only way to avoid this the 1920x1078 trick.
1. Create a 1920x1078 resolution via ToastyX (not NVIDIA), reduce resolution by 1 or 2 pixels, and increase vertical porch by 1 or 2 pixels to compensate.
2. Give it only ONE refresh rate.
3. Configure Windows desktop to that resolution
4. Configure Game to that resolution
5. Voila!

This also works with 1918x1080 or 1920x1079 -- it just have to be different from 1920x1080, and created via ToastyX (not NVIDIA Control Panel) and you have to make sure you create only one refresh rate.
What if i don't want to use any blur reduction or sync on the dekstop and in games? What you wrote sounds like there is something changing whenever im tabbing out.
How can i see if i have any sync or blur reduction enabled on the desktop?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Oct 2020, 15:26

hzl wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 14:34
What if i don't want to use any blur reduction or sync on the dekstop and in games? What you wrote sounds like there is something changing whenever im tabbing out. How can i see if i have any sync or blur reduction enabled on the desktop?
Once you have only one refresh rate for a specific resolution (e.g. 1920x1078 trick via ToastyX CRU), and configure both Windows and game to the same reoslution; then:

For Strobe
Configure strobe setting via monitor's menu. It will be a universal setting.

For VRR (FreeSync, G-SYNC) via NVIDIA cards
Configure VRR ON/OFF in monitor menus (if it exists there too), and then use NVIDIA Control Panel too (need to configure there too)
-- If you prefer VRR ON, set G-SYNC to also include windowed apps. That way games+Windows is same (ON)
-- If you prefer VRR OFF, set G-SYNC to OFF. That way games+Windowed is same (OFF)

Once everything is identical in Windows + game, then you say goodbye to excessively long mode-change blackouts during Alt+TAB.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 31 Oct 2020, 15:40

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 15:26
hzl wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 14:34
What if i don't want to use any blur reduction or sync on the dekstop and in games? What you wrote sounds like there is something changing whenever im tabbing out. How can i see if i have any sync or blur reduction enabled on the desktop?
Once you have only one refresh rate for a specific resolution (e.g. 1920x1078 trick via ToastyX CRU), and configure both Windows and game to the same reoslution; then:

For Strobe
Configure strobe setting via monitor's menu. It will be a universal setting.

For VRR (FreeSync, G-SYNC) via NVIDIA cards
Configure VRR ON/OFF in monitor menus (if it exists there too), and then use NVIDIA Control Panel too (need to configure there too)
-- If you prefer VRR ON, set G-SYNC to also include windowed apps. That way games+Windows is same (ON)
-- If you prefer VRR OFF, set G-SYNC to OFF. That way games+Windowed is same (OFF)

Once everything is identical in Windows + game, then you say goodbye to excessively long mode-change blackouts during Alt+TAB.
So in CRU uncheck everything on the left side, delete everything under detailed res and standard res and only have 1920x1078 under detailed res?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Oct 2020, 15:44

Stevie66 wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 15:40
So in CRU uncheck everything on the left side, delete everything under detailed res and standard res and only have 1920x1078 under detailed res?
You don't need to delete refresh rates for other resolutions. Just make sure you only create one new refresh rate for the new resolution only -- you don't have to delete refresh rates for other existing resolutions. Everything will be back to the way they are whenver you switch to 1920x1080, and the new convenience occurs when you switch to 1920x1078 or such.

Don't forget to configure your monitor menus to "1:1", and if it doesn't exist, try "Aspect" (to match aspect ratio of resolution). So you have a black pixel row at top or bottom, otherwise monitor might try to scale 1078p to 1080p and things go really blurry.

Remember you can run ToastyX reset-all.exe to undo your modifications you made in ToastyX CRU -- which simply modifies Window's copy of the monitor plug and play data (EDID/DisplayID). This will revert any accidental deletions/additions/modifications you made, allowing you to start over with a clean slate.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 31 Oct 2020, 15:57

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 15:44
Stevie66 wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 15:40
You don't need to delete refresh rates for other resolutions. Just make sure you only create one new refresh rate for the new resolution only -- you don't have to delete refresh rates for other existing resolutions. Everything will be back to the way they are whenver you switch to 1920x1080, and the new convenience occurs when you switch to 1920x1078 or such.

Don't forget to configure your monitor menus to "1:1", and if it doesn't exist, try "Aspect" (to match aspect ratio of resolution). So you have a black pixel row at top or bottom, otherwise monitor might try to scale 1078p to 1080p and things go really blurry.

Remember you can run ToastyX reset-all.exe to undo your modifications you made in ToastyX CRU -- which simply modifies Window's copy of the monitor plug and play data (EDID/DisplayID). This will revert any accidental deletions/additions/modifications you made, allowing you to start over with a clean slate.
So under the standard res I add this new custom res or under detailed res?(first time using CRU)

Max_hz

Post by Max_hz » 01 Nov 2020, 06:21

hzl wrote: ↑
30 Oct 2020, 09:09
How do you guys fix slow (2-3 seconds) alt tabbing from fullscreen applications to the desktop and also back into the application such as a game? It takes like 3 seconds for the monitor to switch. I haven't had this issue with my XL2411Z. Whenever i was playing CSGO it was pretty much instant to switch to the desktop and back into the game. This monitor seems to basically shut down for a bit before showing the game :/

@Max_hz
Strange....when I switch from game (CS:GO) to desktop it happens instantly.

@Chief Blur Buster

indeed Chief, I tried another resolution/aspect ratio in game and windows this results in the alt+tab delay so that's why I didn't have the delay because the resolution/aspect ratio were already the same in Windows + game.
In use: Asus VG259QM IPS 240-280hz - Hanns-G HS233 TN 120hz
Used before: LG 24LG600 TN 144hz - HP Omen X 25f TN 240hz - ViewSonic XG2402 TN 144hz - Asus VG259Q IPS 144hz

Digika

Post by Digika » 01 Nov 2020, 23:26

High nits value at 0 brightness really killed my interest and excitement in this monitor. Why every modern hi-refresh rate display has such high low brightness?

drjackmann

Post by drjackmann » 03 Nov 2020, 07:17

Digika wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 23:26
High nits value at 0 brightness really killed my interest and excitement in this monitor. Why every modern hi-refresh rate display has such high low brightness?
Idk if I prefer dim monitors but I had NO issue with brightness on this when using elmb sync. It does reduce brightness a lot when activated but there is still plenty of headroom for it to be usable. Obviously this is just my personal take. Might be worth trying to VG259QM first hand if that is your chief concern.

Digika

Post by Digika » 03 Nov 2020, 08:21

May daily driver is about 70nits, sometiems I go 90 when sunny. VG259QM is 96nits at 0 brightness

drjackmann

Post by drjackmann » 03 Nov 2020, 13:58

Ah I misread your post. I was thinking you were indicating you were worried about it being too dim. Yes, I agree. IPS panels seem too bright and can't be adjusted low enough.