The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
kiry4

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Post by kiry4 » 11 Dec 2020, 20:19

Hello everyone! Sorry, my English is bad but I want to ask for advice. I have Ryzen 5 5600X and RTX 3070 and playing CSGO 1280:960 stretched 4:3. Almost everything LOW + 8xMSAA so I have something like 400-600 fps. After reading 22 pages I decided to use following settings for CSGO with my Asus VG259QM which will arrive to me next week. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I made a conclusion that following settings will be the best for competitive gaming:
1) Refresh rate - 280hz
2) Overdrive - 120 (better option) or 80
3) Adaptive Sync/Gsync/Fresync/ELMB/ANY other sync - off
4) Shadow Boost - lvl1/2
5) Fps Mode/Racing mode - debatable. Which color setting should I use. Which ICC profile?
6) VividPixel 25 - debatable

But I have another question! Which settings you can advice for non-competitive gaming/for watching movies/for work. For best picture and colors, for chilling, for eye recreation, etc.

pusep

Post by pusep » 12 Dec 2020, 01:47

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 14:33
pusep wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 10:35
Could you please tell me what porch? Front or back? And what about other settings? By default I see only one 240 hz 1920x1080 (239.964 hz) under "detailed resolution" with settings:
Front porch 48/3
Sync width 64/5
Back porch 48/56

But if I click "add" button default timing is MANUAL with different settings:
Front porch 88/4
Sync width 44/5
Back porch 148/36

I can choose LCD STANDARD or LCD NATIVE are the same as MANUAL, but there is LCD reduced with another settings:
Front porch 88/4
Sync width 32/5
Back porch 80/23

THREE DIFFERENT VALUES. I assume that the first values are gived by the monitor. So what Front porch, Sync width and Back porch should I use exactly for 1920x1079 resolution? ANOTHER PROBLEM: I can't choose display scaling after that, only GPU scaling is available in nvidia control panel.
Manual.

Copy each number (one by one) from your original functioning & working mode, and remove 1 from Vertical Active (1080 -> 1079) without changing Vertical Total.

Select GPU scaling -> No Scaling. Neither monitor nor GPU will scale at all. 1 black pixel row will occur.
You still have not told me what porch, because to keep the same VERTICAL TOTAL I can reduce FRONT PORCH, SYNC WIDTH or BACK PORCH by 1 and VERTICAL TOTAL will be the same. Okay I did some digging, changing 1920x1080 to 1920x1079 and reducing FRONT PORCH by 1, and changing resolution in nvidia panel to PC 1920x1079 (NATIVE) 240 hz AND settings in-game resolution to 1920x1079 and 240 hz (checked on desktop and in-game, all the same 1920x1079@240hz) and setting scaling to DISPLAY and NO SCALING doesn't work and my desktop text becomes a bit blurry after that:
https://i.imgur.com/uY2m1cM.jpg (FRONT PORCH changed from 3 to 4)
BUT deleting HDR STATIC METADATA in CRU->Extension blocks->Data blocks fixes alt-tab speed OUT OF THE GAME but not INTO THE GAME, alt-tabbing back to the game is still very slow (checked on RISE OF NATIONS EE and DESTINY 2) THE ONLY WAY TO FIX THIS IS DELETE all the 1920x1080 resolution lines in CRU like I said in my thread: https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7964 EVEN WITH YOUR 1920x1079 RESOLUTION! I DON'T KNOW WHY, IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE because there is only one 1920x1079 line in CRU and HDR is deleted, it should work the same way as my method, because my method means deleting all the 1920x1080 ***hz lines except desired one ([email protected] hz in my case).
So there is no reason to mess with 1920x1079 because my method works the same way and you can keep 1920x1080. But because of deleted HDR STATIC METADATA, HDR stops working. Do you have any ideas how to keep HDR and fix ALT-TAB speed?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Dec 2020, 22:27

So even when both Windows desktop and the game is set to the one-refresh-rate resolution, you still get the slow Alt+Tab behavior?

Even when the NVIDIA Control Panel is set universally (GSYNC OFF or GSYNC for everything -- wondowed/fullscreen) -- to make sure that the same sync technology is used for both Desktop and the game?

It looks like the monitor is stubbornly wanting to scale even if GPU is no-scaling. Is the monitor menu configured to no-scaling or 1:1? (I'm not sure if it works on *this* particular model).

The 1079 trick is a general trick with some monitor-specific quirks. Please note, the 1079 trick is used with some different monitors (it was successfully used on a few models, mainly non-HDR models) -- so it may not be compatible with all models (VG259QM may be having problems with this).

The 1079 trick MIGHT have too many disadvantages versus advantages on this specific monitor model, even though it successfully works on several other models for various tricks (such as BenQ overclocking). So it apparently won't solve the Alt+Tab HDR problem if what I am reading is correct, it appears. Which is too bad.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 13 Dec 2020, 00:17

I love this monitor but the slow alt-tabbing in some games and other weird issues get annoying, some games sets my 280hz in the montiors OSD to 144hz for no reason then I turn the monitor off and on and it's set to 60hz and I have to go to the Nvidia panel and set it to 280hz again. Never had an issue like this with other 240hz monitors or the 360hz Asus. Also at 280hz it's native under PC in the Nvidia control panel but if I go back to 240hz non OC it's under Ultra, HD, SD as non native.

milojr21

Post by milojr21 » 14 Dec 2020, 04:56

Stevie66 wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 00:17
I love this monitor but the slow alt-tabbing in some games and other weird issues get annoying, some games sets my 280hz in the montiors OSD to 144hz for no reason then I turn the monitor off and on and it's set to 60hz and I have to go to the Nvidia panel and set it to 280hz again. Never had an issue like this with other 240hz monitors or the 360hz Asus. Also at 280hz it's native under PC in the Nvidia control panel but if I go back to 240hz non OC it's under Ultra, HD, SD as non native.
You need CRU to edit the extension block and remove HDR that's the only way to fix the alt tab delay. Read 2nd post above yours

evmyskov

Post by evmyskov » 14 Dec 2020, 07:05

Hello everyone.
I registered here to find out if there's a fix for "mouse trail" problem with the monitor. I've seen it somewhere both on this forum and reddit that users experience "mouse trail" even on 240 Hz. So do I.
My mouse polling is 1000Hz, G-sync on, all drivers are set up, refresh rate is 240 Hz. And yes, I've checked mouse settings in Windows 10 to make sure there is no trail enabled.

Has anyone else experienced such problem?

kiry4

Post by kiry4 » 15 Dec 2020, 20:08

kiry4 wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 20:19
Hello everyone! Sorry, my English is bad but I want to ask for advice. I have Ryzen 5 5600X and RTX 3070 and playing CSGO 1280:960 stretched 4:3. Almost everything LOW + 8xMSAA so I have something like 400-600 fps. After reading 22 pages I decided to use following settings for CSGO with my Asus VG259QM which will arrive to me next week. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I made a conclusion that following settings will be the best for competitive gaming:
1) Refresh rate - 280hz
4) Shadow Boost - lvl1/2
5) Fps Mode/Racing mode - debatable. Which color setting should I use. Which ICC profile?
6) VividPixel 25 - debatable

But I have another question! Which settings you can advice for non-competitive gaming/for watching movies/for work. For best picture and colors, for chilling, for eye recreation, etc.
Hello again guys! Maybe somebody can look at my question and give any advice? This Saturday my Asus VG259QM will arrive and I want to be ready. I want to have two profiles one for competitive CSGO (extremely fast with minimal response and input lag). And 2nd one for games like Cyberpunk, Witcher, RDR2, GTA. Also for watching movies and relaxing. Could you please look at settings below and advise if everything is more or less good?

For competitive CSGO:
---
1) Refresh rate - 280hz
4) Shadow Boost - lvl1/2
6) VividPixel 25 - debatable?

For single player games, films, work, relax:
---
1) Refresh rate - 240hz - why 240? (Correct me If I'm wrong but probably it is not a good idea to force display to keep 280hz 24/7?)
2) Overdrive - I don't know. Any suggestions?
3) Adaptive Sync + ELMB - ON
4) Shadow Boost - lvl1/2
6) VividPixel 25 - debatable?

Or there is no sense to have profiles and I can use 1st one for everything?

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 18 Dec 2020, 18:18

When my monitor is OC'd to 280 it's under PC 1080p and native in NCP, but at 240hz it's under Ultra HD SD etc but not native, is there a big difference and is there a simple way to make 240hz show up under PC and native I guess with CRU somehow(don't really know my way around that program)?

Deezyy

Post by Deezyy » 21 Dec 2020, 20:28

I've learned a lot in this post but as I am new to all this I still have some questions.

I just ordered this monitor thinking I had everything figured out but now I am unsure of whether or not I am fully going to be taking advantage of this monitor's features that I am paying for. I have a pretty decent system with a 2070super that can push many well optimized games like CS:GO and such to this monitors 240-280 framerate no problem but my concern is with more strenuous games such as Warzone in which I get around 140-180 FPS.

My reasons for buying this monitor were to take advantage of its fast response, G sync, and ELMB Sync. I was told that this combo of G sync and ELMB used together provided a great experience unlike any other but after doing some research into "overshoot" I became worried that it might be a problem for me on more strenuous games that I won't be able to push 200-280 FPS consistently. I learned a bit about the overdrive settings from you guys and I am aware that I could lower the overdrive to combat this but will I still be able to utilize the G sync and ELMB sync combo? If not I feel as though I might want to look into a different monitor as paying for these premium features and not being able to fully utilize them doesn't seem like the best idea. Granted my system could push the required frames on plenty of optimized games, I play Warzone so often that it would feel less than ideal not being able to utilize this monitors features while playing games like this.

Any thoughts or considerations are appreciated considering I am not very informed in all of these aspects like most of you guys are. I am sure there are things I am not fully understanding so I greatly appreciate it.

evmyskov

Post by evmyskov » 22 Dec 2020, 05:17

evmyskov wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 07:05
Hello everyone.
I registered here to find out if there's a fix for "mouse trail" problem with the monitor. I've seen it somewhere both on this forum and reddit that users experience "mouse trail" even on 240 Hz. So do I.
My mouse polling is 1000Hz, G-sync on, all drivers are set up, refresh rate is 240 Hz. And yes, I've checked mouse settings in Windows 10 to make sure there is no trail enabled.

Has anyone else experienced such problem?
Recently I started experiencing screen going on and off randomly - both in office apps and games. This is quite annoying. Any fix for this?
I already disable fast boot on my system, but no changes yet.