The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
OOClicKOO

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Post by OOClicKOO » 30 Dec 2020, 15:14

Hey guys, I found the solution in the vg259qm to make ELMB SYNC work perfectly and get a clear, tear-free image. The situation is the following.

I have not found anyone else in any forum not even on Blur busters who talks about this.

This only applies to Asus monitors with ELMB SYNC.

Using the UFO Ghosting test, when only ELMB is activated without adaptive sync, the image with normal reduced motion blur is produced without further ado.

When ELMB and adaptive synchronization are activated simultaneously, it is observed how a bit of crosstalk strobe is created in the UFO, making the image a bit worse, but it is still much better than not using ELMB.

What is the problem with the UFO test?
The problem is that it runs in a search engine and the search engine does not recognize adaptive synchronization, that is why I have used the tool provided by the page

Made by the a5hun Youtube channel called Frog Pursuit. This tool works to see the ghosting of the image as well as the UFO test with the difference that this tool can be executed in full screen and in unrealengine 4, being able to support adaptive synchronization.you can find this tool in aperturegrille . Com

For what I will say next, the previously mentioned tool was used.

The following applies only if you use ELMB and adaptive sync at the same time:

If you are using 240-280hz on the Nvidia panel the following happens. As your fps in games decreases from the monitor's Hz value, the reduction of motion blur will also decrease and it will be more like having it off.

This is the reason why many reviews say that ELMB SYNC works only between 200-280 fps because when it decreases from that it "is better" to have it turned off.
Example if you use 144 fps or less, the motion blur reduction will be practically zero.

I have found the solution to this problem with frequencies below 200 hz.

Before this monitor I have had a 144 Hz 27 inch Acer that also had a backlight strobing technology called "MPRT" with levels: off, on and extreme.

This technology works with any refresh rate, be it those predefined by the monitor itself or a custom frequency, example: 140hz.

Unfortunately Unlike MPRT, ELMB without sync only works with the frequencies predefined by the monitor: 280,240,144,120. It cannot be used with custom frequencies.

Having said this explanation, how do you solve the ELMB problem with adaptive synchronization below 200 hz?

Unfortunately, manually:
You have to find an average fps in the game that you can maintain most of the time and adjust from the Nvidia panel the frequency that is similar but that is obviously above your fps.

Example: you have an average of 150-130 fps so you place the monitor on the Nvidia panel at 144hz and lower the fps to 140 so that it does not exceed the frequency of the monitor and adaptive synchronization is not deactivated. Always set 4 fps less than your refresh rate.

Because the fps limiters in games are not accurate and sometimes go higher than the maximum fps selected. Unless you are using an external limiter like RTSS (Riva Tuner Statistics)

And you do the same if you have between 100-120 fps you put 120 hz on the monitor, etc.

What I conclude is that adaptive sync if adjusted to monitor fps, while ELMB still uses the same 240hz setting and does not adjust to fps, progressively creating motion blur while decreasing fps.

Now, if you agree, ELMB only works with the predefined frequencies: 280,240,144,120 and NOT with custom frequencies.

This is where my question for bijam comes from and I don't know if you could help me to contact Asus or clarify me in case this has no firmware solution:

In Apex I normally play at 180 fps and this is a problem because as I already explained ELMB SYNC (I clarify: when I say SYNC and not only ELMB I mean that it is activated simultaneously with G-sync)

when the fps is close to the frequency that it is in the Nvidia control panel, and I can only choose preset frequencies
(280,240,144,120), is it possible via firmware to request Asus to add more intermediate frequencies?

For example 165, 180, 200, etc. Because I'm not sure if they could be tuned by ELMB firmware to allow any custom frequency to be used.

If anyone. Could help me with this will be so cool.

Without further ado, I hope it has served you and I went a bit extensive because I wanted everything to be in detail and to understand the reason for everything.
Attachments
IMG-20201230-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20201230-WA0007.jpg (82.32 KiB) Viewed 5987 times
IMG-20201230-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20201230-WA0006.jpg (53.81 KiB) Viewed 5987 times
IMG-20201230-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20201230-WA0003.jpg (50.68 KiB) Viewed 5987 times

DukeDice929

Post by DukeDice929 » 30 Dec 2020, 23:01

My only problem with this monitor is locked OverDrive setting with ELMB active. Latter forces to use OD80 at any refresh rate, and below 240Hz strobing become useless due to high overshoot (either adaptive sync or not).
No hope for new firmware, because ASUS milking their brand new 360Hz atm. :(
My bad English :0

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 31 Dec 2020, 04:46

OOClicKOO wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 15:14
This issue is exactly the one described by a5hun in his VG279QM video, enabling ELMB + Adaptive Sync forces double pulse strobe which does not benefit motion clarity.

Try running this https://www.testufo.com/blurtrail#foreg ... tion=1000
with ELMB + Adaptive Sync to check it yourself, you'll see two lines moving instead of one (I'm not talking about afterimages, I'm talking about the main line).

ELMB + Adaptive sync is unusable for this specific reason, even if you could cap at a refresh rate that you can reach 100% of the time.

Fps fluctuations are another issue with ELMB-SYNC because VT variance at different refresh rates due to Adaptive Sync managing Vertical Totals causes unpredictable Crosstalk Areas.

Standard ELMB is nice on this monitor, especially at 280hz where the overshoot penalty of OD80 is reduced compared to 240hz.

With Shadow Boost Level 3 you can even make ELMB usable during daytime in a lit room.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

OOClicKOO

Post by OOClicKOO » 31 Dec 2020, 07:53

axaro1 wrote:
31 Dec 2020, 04:46
OOClicKOO wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 15:14
This issue is exactly the one described by a5hun in his VG279QM video, enabling ELMB + Adaptive Sync forces double pulse strobe which does not benefit motion clarity.

with ELMB + Adaptive Sync to check it yourself, you'll see two lines moving instead of one (I'm not talking about afterimages, I'm talking about the main line).

ELMB + Adaptive sync is unusable for this specific reason, even if you could cap at a refresh rate that you can reach 100% of the time.

Fps fluctuations are another issue with ELMB-SYNC because VT variance at different refresh rates due to Adaptive Sync managing Vertical Totals causes unpredictable Crosstalk Areas.

Standard ELMB is nice on this monitor, especially at 280hz where the overshoot penalty of OD80 is reduced compared to 240hz
a5hun in his video did not explain that using ELMB SYNC, NOT JUST ELMB, for fps less than 200 you have to manually lower the frequency to adjust to your average fps, because in the tests that he performed and are on his page, it shows that a As the fps drop the image loses clarity and that's because he didn't adjust the monitor's Hz while lowering the fps.

Now, when you manually lower the frequency to 144 and continue using ELMB SYNC it creates a lot of overshoot but in practice I personally don't notice it too much, the ufo tests in my experience exaggerate the crosstalk with ELMB SYNC too much as seen in game.

I play Apex Legends and Warzone and when I realized this, especially Warzone that I have 100-120 fps limit to 120 hz and change the OD: 60 for ELMB SYNC and change completely, everything looks clearer and I have no tears and fluid.

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 31 Dec 2020, 17:52

Blxze3 wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 21:44
Has anyone found a way to fix the deep sleep glitch for this monitor, it is driving me nuts and i really need help.
What's the sleep glitch?

bl00rb00ster

Post by bl00rb00ster » 06 Jan 2021, 09:03

I just took a look at the review of the VG279QM on tft central and there is one thing I don't quite understand yet. Why does the g2g average time drop with a lower refresh rate? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Mentioned tables in the review:
Increasing Refresh Rates - Over Drive 60
and
High Refresh Rates - Over Drive 80

OOClicKOO

Post by OOClicKOO » 08 Jan 2021, 08:18

bl00rb00ster wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 09:03
I just took a look at the review of the VG279QM on tft central and there is one thing I don't quite understand yet. Why does the g2g average time drop with a lower refresh rate? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

and
I have tried by chance to set the OD to 100 with frequencies below 200 hz and I was surprised that it is even better than OD 60 or 120 but with an almost imperceptible minimum of overshoot

OOClicKOO

Post by OOClicKOO » 10 Jan 2021, 07:51

OOClicKOO wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 08:18
bl00rb00ster wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 09:03

and
I have tried by chance to set the OD to 100 with frequencies below 200 hz and I was surprised that it is even better than OD 60 or 120 but with an almost imperceptible minimum of overshoot
Exactly, I have checked this with the tool that provides a5hun on i aperturegrilledotcom where it runs on UnrealEngine and you can lower the fps with an fps slider from 360 fps to 1. This OD 100 becomes the best overdrive when you set 144 hz, 120hz or even a custom frequency below 200 hz. The problem with this is that when you change back to frequencies like 240 p 280, OD 100 becomes useless again. To enjoy OD 100 at 200hz+ you have to do the following: set the frequency of your preference, 240-280hz and have VRR activated, activate ELMB SYNC and lower the fps in your game to less than 200 fps, I don't know exactly what number you change OD 100 to but it doesn't matter, just in case you set it to 170fps, then turn ELMB SYNC off and that's it, you can raise your fps to 280 and enjoy the best OD Asus offers. If you turn ELMB SYNC on and off again when it is above 200 fps OR even if you change the frequency manually in the control panel, OD 100 will become useless again. It is a pity that all these manual adjustments have to be made to enjoy a better experience and that Asus could not automatically implement changes in the OD with adaptive Sync like other manufacturers for example Samsung with the Odyssey g7 that when activating VRR disables the possibility of changing the OD but it does not matter because it automatically adjusts it correctly in the entire refresh range, and this problem also affects ELMB SYNC because it stays at OD 80 either at 280 or 60 hz making it useless below 144 hz unless it supports high levels but not extremes of overshoot. I also want to clarify here very briefly for those who did not want to read my solution to ELMB SYNC below 144hz that I wrote above. Unfortunately everything in this monitor has to be done manually so that it works more or less as it should, as I just explained to have the best OD you have to adjust it manually, the same happens with ELMB SYNC, if you are below 200 fps, adjust it to 140 and change MANUALLY the frequency in the NCP to 144hz and ELMB SYNC will adjust the backlight strobing, the same if you have 120 fps or less adjust it to 120 hz and lower your fps 4 below the frequency to avoid tearing. Unfortunately there are no intermediate frequencies between 144 and 240 hz for example:165, 180, 200 hz to be able to adjust MANUALLY, all manually because ELMB SYNC does not adjust anything automatically at all, and thanks to this there is a window between 145 and 200 fps in which ELMB SYNC has almost no improvement compared to having it off by having to choose between having more fps and. g 160, 180fps or go down to 144 and turn on ES, because as your fps go down from the frequency your monitor is at, the clarity of ES decreases to zero, so you have to adjust it manually. Attention, ES on at 144 hz has a remarkable improvement against off but will suffer from overshoot, 120 hz to 100 also has improvement but in this range is already very strong, below 85 hz ES is off and you are left with an incredible overshoot. I hope Asus will release a firmware update in which it adds frequency steps e.g 165, 180, 200, hz and below 160 fps ES it uses OD 100 dropping to 85 fps. Or even better, that allows to modify the OD with ES on, so that at least you can enjoy adjusting it MANUALLY. Because I doubt very much that through a firmware update a miracle can be done by fully automating ES and that it works as it should from the beginning, adjusting it as fps is lowered to avoid loss of clarity and adjusting the OD to avoid overshoot. Good thing Dreaming is free.

Anyway, to be able to check everything I have mentioned you will not be able to do it with UFO test since it runs in browser and you cannot adjust the fps besides the fact that the browsers do not support VRR yet.
You have to go to the a5hun page Aperturegrilledotcom then to the software section and download the tool with the direct link that leaves you there. If you find any other "bug" so to speak, let us know.

DukeDice929

Post by DukeDice929 » 10 Jan 2021, 09:16

OOClicKOO wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 08:18
I'm pretty sure it's a firmware bug or inconsistency. Several people confirmed the same thing in this thread earlier.
For example, on 144Hz OD80 has stronger overshoot than OD100, which is nonsense. :D
My bad English :0

bl00rb00ster

Post by bl00rb00ster » 10 Jan 2021, 17:06

This is also mentioned in the rtings review. Oddly even OD 0 can cause a minimal overshoot @ 280 hz