Page 16 of 22

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Posted: 10 Oct 2020, 09:27
by Alpha
speancer wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 19:25
I have no idea what you're on about, to be honest :?
[/quote]

This may make a fun off topic thread somewhere but last I'll say not to distract from here and to clear your confusion. This was in regards to depth and focus transition and the various aim techniques some use. The subject on soft focus on crosshairs and starring at crosshairs is a huge rabbit hole. Was curious if you found something that would lead you to look at crosshairs as the driver for aim is what I was on about. There is a transition period that can be measured for those looking at crosshairs and targets. (duh, eyes have to focus its depth perception)

In real life, any reputable firearms course covers the pros and cons to each method. Front site focus hinders your speed (game equivalent to site focus) while point shooting hinders accuracy but you're fast (game equivalent to target focus). This is where the science parts hits and why I think one is far less effective than the other (personal opinion as lasik hindered me on one element of this). I run through a lot of games so naturally one method based on a single game mode could naturally make sense but not be effective in another game. Say headshots only vs BR game so really no wrong way.

Over all my personal opinion on how the brain does the math as you move your mouse and the distance traveled in game in relation to that physical mouse movement a long with muscle memory gained\retained should make the need for looking at crosshairs an archaic approach if the mouse is an extension of your body. Like pointing your finger, no one has ever looked at their finger first when pointing. Except Timmy of course. Love lobbies full of Timmys. Apologies for the off topic and you answered my question. :? :D

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Posted: 10 Oct 2020, 14:01
by tombox
Alpha wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 08:18
tombox wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 02:29
When loading a game like Call of Duty Modern Warfare, do other users get black screens or even lower max refresh rates in settings? I almost always have to restart the game multiple times or power on and off the monitor to get 280hz to work/show up in COD settings. Sometimes the game is locked at 60 fps, even though my monitor is running at 280hz. Is this normal, if no what's the fix?
COD is a legit mess. Gsync enabled would completely break the game from starting for a period. No idea if the newest drivers or updates resolved this. I constantly have to enable fullscreen and set render resolution as well as graphic settings. This is multiple PC's, with various hardware. I believe I experienced the locked 60hz which is literally completely unplayable and really my only complaint about the VG259QM and had to make a change to the config.cfg in the user document folder after deleting 3 other files. Its hard to recall because this is the buggiest game I have ever seen. If you see that in game, try switching to borderless (I know ridiculous) see if it helps but you may need to turn off gsync. I'm top 8% in the world in Wins and top 10% in KD so if I am not winning money in tournaments we end up memeing just because it's impossible to take seriously. With my hardware, I found it best to leave everything off. Gsync, vsync, everything. FPS would average from 138 to 205. After the last few network breaking pactches, I seem to be hovering around the high 170's on average. YMMV.
Thanks for the reply! The game is fun to just mess around with some friends every now and then. I might have to give everything off and uncapped fps a go again. Thanks!

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Posted: 10 Oct 2020, 14:50
by Alpha
tombox wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 14:01
Alpha wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 08:18
tombox wrote:
10 Oct 2020, 02:29
When loading a game like Call of Duty Modern Warfare, do other users get black screens or even lower max refresh rates in settings? I almost always have to restart the game multiple times or power on and off the monitor to get 280hz to work/show up in COD settings. Sometimes the game is locked at 60 fps, even though my monitor is running at 280hz. Is this normal, if no what's the fix?
COD is a legit mess. Gsync enabled would completely break the game from starting for a period. No idea if the newest drivers or updates resolved this. I constantly have to enable fullscreen and set render resolution as well as graphic settings. This is multiple PC's, with various hardware. I believe I experienced the locked 60hz which is literally completely unplayable and really my only complaint about the VG259QM and had to make a change to the config.cfg in the user document folder after deleting 3 other files. Its hard to recall because this is the buggiest game I have ever seen. If you see that in game, try switching to borderless (I know ridiculous) see if it helps but you may need to turn off gsync. I'm top 8% in the world in Wins and top 10% in KD so if I am not winning money in tournaments we end up memeing just because it's impossible to take seriously. With my hardware, I found it best to leave everything off. Gsync, vsync, everything. FPS would average from 138 to 205. After the last few network breaking pactches, I seem to be hovering around the high 170's on average. YMMV.
Thanks for the reply! The game is fun to just mess around with some friends every now and then. I might have to give everything off and uncapped fps a go again. Thanks!
That's the best attitude for sure. I have to settle down my squad when we're memeing it at times and find myself getting irritated when I should be laughing at the ridiculous amount of money they're racking in but can't release a single bug free update.

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Posted: 12 Oct 2020, 21:52
by tombox
Does anyone use this monitor with ASCR on?

Here's what it says on their website: "ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio (ASCR) Technology enhances the display’s dynamic contrast ratio up to 100,000,000:1, which adjusts the brightness according to the content so that the picture will be displayed with better dark levels and more vivid colors, creating sharper and brighter images, especially during video and movie playback."

Btw, it's under the Image setting (next to VividPixel).

It seems like brightness can't be adjusted, but contrast can.

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Posted: 13 Oct 2020, 07:47
by axaro1
tombox wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 21:52
Does anyone use this monitor with ASCR on?
Nope, I've never tried it

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Posted: 14 Oct 2020, 14:21
by axaro1
Vividpixel set to 25/50 legit feels like cheating in rainbow six, regardless if you use TAA, FXAA or even TAA OFF, it makes everything so clear it is so easy to spot enemies behind cover.
I don't care if it does actually increase input lag or if it doesn't(I can't tell), competitively speaking it is crazy good.

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Posted: 14 Oct 2020, 14:40
by Nen
axaro1 wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 14:21
Vividpixel set to 25/50 legit feels like cheating in rainbow six, regardless if you use TAA, FXAA or even TAA OFF, it makes everything so clear it is so easy to spot enemies behind cover.
I don't care if it does actually increase input lag or if it doesn't(I can't tell), competitively speaking it is crazy good.
What does it actually do? and what setting would you recommend?

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Posted: 14 Oct 2020, 14:57
by Alpha
axaro1 wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 14:21
Vividpixel set to 25/50 legit feels like cheating in rainbow six, regardless if you use TAA, FXAA or even TAA OFF, it makes everything so clear it is so easy to spot enemies behind cover.
I don't care if it does actually increase input lag or if it doesn't(I can't tell), competitively speaking it is crazy good.
I was giddy at 25 and fell apart on the next step up 50 I think? I use NVCP sharpening though.

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Posted: 14 Oct 2020, 16:09
by axaro1
Alpha wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 14:57
I was giddy at 25 and fell apart on the next step up 50 I think? I use NVCP sharpening though.
I don't use NVCP/RIS so Vividpixel is the only sharpening I use.
I guess for normal gaming/browsing 25 is overall the best choice, it doesn't create too many artifacts, from what I can see only the dots on top of the "i"s on certain dark backgrounds with white text turn from white to light blue.
50 is more detailed but with more artifacts, for some games it can be too much and for some others it feels like the perfect sweetspot.
In battle royales it helps seeing targets far from you or hiding behind covers.
75 and 100 create too many artifacts.

VividPixel set to at least 25 is a must on this monitor, for some unknown reason Asus didn't put a Sharpness slider in the OSD which was a very stupid move, especially considering that every single 240hz IPS panel has the same opaque pixel coating that makes it blurry out of the box.

Re: The Official *Asus VG259QM* Owners Thread (+ Secret Overdrive)

Posted: 14 Oct 2020, 16:26
by PixelDuck87
axaro1 wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 16:09
Alpha wrote:
14 Oct 2020, 14:57
I was giddy at 25 and fell apart on the next step up 50 I think? I use NVCP sharpening though.
I don't use NVCP/RIS so Vividpixel is the only sharpening I use.
I guess for normal gaming/browsing 25 is overall the best choice, it doesn't create too many artifacts, from what I can see only the dots on top of the "i"s on certain dark backgrounds with white text turn from white to light blue.
50 is more detailed but with more artifacts, for some games it can be too much and for some others it feels like the perfect sweetspot.
In battle royales it helps seeing targets far from you or hiding behind covers.
75 and 100 create too many artifacts.

VividPixel set to at least 25 is a must on this monitor, for some unknown reason Asus didn't put a Sharpness slider in the OSD which was a very stupid move, especially considering that every single 240hz IPS panel has the same opaque pixel coating that makes it blurry out of the box.
Is VividPixel just a sharpness setting or something else?