Asus PG259QN 360hz Monitor

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
element72

Re: Asus PG259QN 360hz Monitor

Post by element72 » 23 Sep 2020, 05:01

1) Why are these reviewers running at 360hz? shouldn't they be manually minimzing crosstalk by lowering their refresh rate?

2) Can we expect other companies to produce brighter screens on 360hz? I see one complaint was the dim screen from the Asus 360hz. But maybe that person needed to turn off their lights in the room, so their eyes can adjust to the dimmer screen.

3) Can we expect strobe light to flash faster for 360hz monitor, and could this be the cause of a dimmer screen?

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 23 Sep 2020, 10:36

element72 wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 05:01
1) Why are these reviewers running at 360hz? shouldn't they be manually minimzing crosstalk by lowering their refresh rate?

2) Can we expect other companies to produce brighter screens on 360hz? I see one complaint was the dim screen from the Asus 360hz. But maybe that person needed to turn off their lights in the room, so their eyes can adjust to the dimmer screen.

3) Can we expect strobe light to flash faster for 360hz monitor, and could this be the cause of a dimmer screen?
Crosstalk is when using BFI, they can't do BFI at 360hz on this monitor, the highest is 240hz. If you mean motion blur trails or inverse ghosting then Hardware Unboxed review showed stats for a few different hz.
Looking at the Hardware Unboxed review it's brighter than almost all the other monitors, I heard the same about my 280hz Asus yet it's super bright to me. But my lighting is poisitioned so no lamps or sunlight is hitting my screen dead on.
Max is 240hz with strobing

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 23 Sep 2020, 16:22

Dirty Scrubz wrote:
22 Sep 2020, 13:59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGssIG9cH6k
OD Normal a lot sharper than his MSI on Fast but a bit more inverse ghosting but he doesn't notice in gaming, but he noticed the MSI on Fastest had ghosting that he noticed so he uses Fast. Still thinks his Alienware TN is a bit sharper but also not noticeable in gaming.
So he's using an unplayable overdrive setting against one of the best motion clarity monitors the msi mag251rx. If he showed in practice results or compared those monitors side by side, the MSI MAG251RX will crush the PG259QN in motion clarity. I blame the people who tuned the monitor. They should've given the option to play a non-overshoot overdrive setting.

overshoot is among the worst motion artifacts and should not be taken into consideration as a playable OD setting. THe UFO test on the MSI look way better in practice because ghosting is MPRT protected, inverse ghosting is not.

He talks about ULMB as well and the capped brightness limitation: https://youtu.be/gGssIG9cH6k?t=435

Just goes to show that Zowie DyAc+ is still the best on the market and these 360 hz motion blur samples he shows are definitely a lot worse than I get with my Zowie XL2746S.
what?

The Asus VG259QM will crush any monitor strobing or non-strobing at high framerates when it comes to motion clarity.

the VG259QM is the only monitor that gets "RLCScontenders's stamp OF APPROVAL" regarding its ELMB-SYNC. Based off my tests, there is no monitor in existence that has better overall motion clarity when elmb sync is on or OFF. i will explain this my upcoming review.

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 23 Sep 2020, 19:31

RLCScontender wrote:
23 Sep 2020, 16:22
Dirty Scrubz wrote:
OD Normal a lot sharper than his MSI on Fast but a bit more inverse ghosting but he doesn't notice in gaming, but he noticed the MSI on Fastest had ghosting that he noticed so he uses Fast. Still thinks his Alienware TN is a bit sharper but also not noticeable in gaming.
So he's using an unplayable overdrive setting against one of the best motion clarity monitors the msi mag251rx. If he showed in practice results or compared those monitors side by side, the MSI MAG251RX will crush the PG259QN in motion clarity. I blame the people who tuned the monitor. They should've given the option to play a non-overshoot overdrive setting.

overshoot is among the worst motion artifacts and should not be taken into consideration as a playable OD setting. THe UFO test on the MSI look way better in practice because ghosting is MPRT protected, inverse ghosting is not.

He talks about ULMB as well and the capped brightness limitation: https://youtu.be/gGssIG9cH6k?t=435

Just goes to show that Zowie DyAc+ is still the best on the market and these 360 hz motion blur samples he shows are definitely a lot worse than I get with my Zowie XL2746S.
what?

The Asus VG259QM will crush any monitor strobing or non-strobing at high framerates when it comes to motion clarity.

the VG259QM is the only monitor that gets "RLCScontenders's stamp OF APPROVAL" regarding its ELMB-SYNC. Based off my tests, there is no monitor in existence that has better overall motion clarity when elmb sync is on or OFF. i will explain this my upcoming review.
Words mean nothing if you didn't try the monitor yourself, on paper Normal is fine with under 4% overshoot and 2.21ms you most likely won't even notice, and it crushes the MSI in response times on Fast 5.30ms and only 49% in window and Faster( little over 3% average error but higher worst errors and error % over 15%) and still a ms higher than the Asus. There's people that play the MSI on Faster and aren't distracted by any overshoot it may have, same with OD120 on the Asus that Rtings said it's "literally unplayable" yet it's not even a distraction and way better than OD80. Also has some of the lowest input lag out there. And the latest Gsync module is a nice bonus that no one seemed to test yet.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Sep 2020, 19:50

RLCScontender wrote:
I'd be inclined to disagree depending on the variables.

Firstly, you have to become familiar with adjustable-pulse-length strobing (MPRT adjustment)

1. Run TestUFO Panning Map Test at 3000 pixels/second
https://testufo.com/photo#photo=toronto ... ttersize=0
2. Adjust your persistence in the menus (DyAc Pulse Width, ULMB Pulse Width, VRB levels, PureXP levels)
3. Some settings will get clearer than ELMB

Strobe flash pulse width adjustments is a good see-for-yourself demonstration of Blur Buster's Law (1ms of pulse width translates to 1 poixel of motion blur per 1000 pxiels/second). This is even more noticeable when DPI of screen is higher, so the difference between stationary images and moving images are different.

Of course, not all technologies are sync'd (ELMB-SYNC).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Dirty Scrubz

Post by Dirty Scrubz » 24 Sep 2020, 18:03

RLCScontender wrote:
Dirty Scrubz wrote:

what?

Couldn't give a rats ass about your stamp of approval buddy. The evidence is right there with several videos I've posted of DyAc+, not a single monitor can match it so far.

masneb

Post by masneb » 24 Sep 2020, 23:41

Lots of hyperbole based off theorycrafting here.

Stamp of approval doesn't mean anything without qualitative testing or even testing at all. When websites or youtube videos do that, they stake their reputation on it based off of their testing. When you're a rando that preaches on forums with almost no tests and of the handful that you've had a hands on experience with, it's all subjective over a few days before sending it back that means exactly nothing.

I'll stick to my rtings, tftcentral, or other reviewers that actually have metrics in their tests.

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 25 Sep 2020, 16:07

The review is out for Patreons at Tftcentral and everyone on October 4th.

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 25 Sep 2020, 20:42

RLCScontender wrote:

what?

lol :mrgreen: complete BS.

the benq xl2546S and 2746S completely smokes any monitor including the asus in strobing quality at 240 hz.

side by side comparison here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7DBqyGf7JE

RLCSContender*

QN

Post by RLCSContender* » 25 Sep 2020, 23:44

alexander1986 wrote:
25 Sep 2020, 20:42
RLCScontender wrote:

what?

lol :mrgreen: complete BS.

the benq xl2546S and 2746S completely smokes any monitor including the asus in strobing quality at 240 hz.

side by side comparison here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7DBqyGf7JE
lol we'll see when i write the review. Stay tuned when i crown the king of motion clarity