Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Post Reply
Stevie66
Posts: 204
Joined: 06 Aug 2020, 15:56

Re: Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Post by Stevie66 » 03 Oct 2020, 10:06

Glado wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 04:33
Stevie66 wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 19:56
How are you liking the OD on Normal and 360hz clarity compared to the other 240-280hz monitors?
I think clarity wise the Pg259qn is better or at least comparable to the vg259qm with the recommended settings from the owners forum here. I don’t see any huge differences in game between the two which is good because I felt both were excellent for clarity.

As for input lag, which I feel is the most important factor for me, a crazy part of me feels this monitor is not as responsive. I keep telling myself it has to be placebo and that I’m just second guessing myself after the initial 3 hours playing with gsync off where the monitor was lagging horribly, but I can’t shake the feeling.
That doesn't sound right at all, sounds like you have a faulty monitor or something else is up because Hardware Unboxed tested the input lag as one of the lowest they've ever tested, if you're actually experiencing horrible lag then that's way more than a few ms difference

RLCSContender*
Posts: 541
Joined: 13 Jan 2021, 22:49
Contact:

Re: Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Post by RLCSContender* » 03 Oct 2020, 11:08

Stevie66 wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 22:59

OD Normal does not have inverse ghosting coronas, as you can see from the reviews that are out now, it's way faster and clearer than the Alienware, MSI and Asus etc on their best settings.
(hardware unboxed UFO test of PG259QN at 240hz vs Alienware aw2521hfl 240hz)

Image
'
I clearly see it. It's FEINT but i see them non-the-less. UFO tests NEVER lie(presuming you did them CORRECTLY), i'm sorry but i've done a bajillion ufo test and 99.9% of the time, it HOLDS TRUE to my in practice tests.

The Asus PG259QN 360hz OD normal is an unplayable overdrive setting(this is my opinion since i cannot stand unwanted artifacts) . The optimal overdrive setting is OD OFF,, OD OFF is MPRT protected(MPRT is dominant). Feint inverse ghosting coronas are NOT MPRT protected and they are very easy to see.

i'm fairly sure(this is just an inference) the reason why ppl think OD normal is the optimal overdrive setting is because they are so accustomed to it that they think those unwanted artifacts are simply "part of the game". If you've reviewed as many monitors as I have, i can easily spot those unwanted artifacts since i have more of a reference point to compare them.

Feint inverse ghosting( 0.2%) inverse ghosting, coronas are still very easy to spot. This is at 960 pixel speed, can you imagine how bad it is if the pixel speed is 1440-2040?(the average speed of a high ranked rocket league game).

REAL LIVE video of me showing the UFO test of 0.2% inverse ghosting on blurbusters AND my in practice test in rocket league. (this is at 960 pixel speed). (this is just an example, this is not the pg259qn but if the PG259qn has inverse ghosting, the RESULT will be the same)
phpBB [video]


i'm fairly confident the aw2521hfl will crush the pg259qn in motion clarity. (btw, it's only ranked 3rd, since the MSI MAG251RX has better clarity at 240hz than my alienware.


t;dlrr;r

Bad (0.2% overshoot, inverse ghosting)

Image

good
(0% overshoot, regular ghosting)

Image

i'm giving the PG259QN one last shot. i'm waiting for alpha to warm up the monitor for ONE hour so he can post the 360hz and 240hz results on OD OFF. Based off his previous UFO tests however, i clearly see more asymmetrical blur on the pg259qn on OD OFF than my alienware

Glado
Posts: 9
Joined: 28 Jul 2020, 11:05

Re: Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Post by Glado » 03 Oct 2020, 12:55

Alpha wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 08:41
Glado wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 04:33
Stevie66 wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 19:56
How are you liking the OD on Normal and 360hz clarity compared to the other 240-280hz monitors?
I think clarity wise the Pg259qn is better or at least comparable to the vg259qm with the recommended settings from the owners forum here. I don’t see any huge differences in game between the two which is good because I felt both were excellent for clarity.

As for input lag, which I feel is the most important factor for me, a crazy part of me feels this monitor is not as responsive. I keep telling myself it has to be placebo and that I’m just second guessing myself after the initial 3 hours playing with gsync off where the monitor was lagging horribly, but I can’t shake the feeling.
To my eyes the PG259QN is a significant improvement over my VG259QM but I haven't messed with GSync off much. eSports mode with brightness set appropriately is my go to. That's with OD Normal but I haven't played with the others. Picture is more accurate, shadow boost more effective, and clarity in motion through the entire fps range. VG259QM is completely unplayable at lower FPS so if your system hits a snag that pull or lag is brutal and can easily cost you a match (referring to SBMM on FPS, my only experience). On a good system I wouldn't worry so much if a person plays esports games but on popular games like COD or soon to be Cold War, those hiccups can get you killed especially in Warzone.

I feel you on the input lag and been slow to post as I mentioned to Chief in the 8000hz polling thread as a result. I was hyped to try Reflex only to dislike it due to things feeling slow. This changed after the DDU instance. On HumanBenchmark my typical average times climbed almost 20ms all the way to the upper 150s some landing at 160 (WTF!!). I started with LatencyMon and went down the system latency hole but not finding any glaring issues. Maybe I'm broke lol. TFT should have their update this weekend I believe and anxious to see Chiefs side as he'll answer any questions I'd ever have including the ones I didn't know to ask.

Finally, I DDU'd my drivers and reinstalled and feel this is a lot better but its just in games. My OS is immaculately kept. In Windows, it still feels off. Aimlabs for me is unplayable. Clicks don't register despite the mouse clearly being on target and the mouse lag is visible when loading in it's pretty incredible. I hit this with OBS slowed down and zoomed in. Fortunately I am not crazy... well maybe it's better put I am right. I am clearly hitting it isn't registering for some reason. There is something still missing and I am with you and quite honestly I am not sure where it lives. Windows issues, Aimlabs has an issue that's in my head, BIOS issue, AGESA issue, monitor issue, I am just not certain.

My first professional contest with it is next weekend so I'll know more. No memes, full prep, rest, and the like so I'll see. Hoping to rule out all system stuff and going to roll back my bios to rule out that being a potential issue since it was just recently updated. I really need a 8000hz mouse.
Yeah I will admit up front I am not nearly as sensitive to any of the clarity issues with monitors as a lot of you are, so if you say the pg is a dramatic improvement, I would definitely believe your take haha. I do 100% agree this monitor destroys the vg259qm at lower frame rates which is very nice. I felt vg was virtually unusable if you weren’t running at 240-280hz.

While I am sorry to hear you feel the monitor feels laggy for you as well, I’m glad to know I maybe not completely crazy (hopefully we both aren’t haha). A lot of the very precise techniques I used to execute in game feel harder to do now than they did on my 144hz monitor and way way harder than the 280hz vg.

I purchased the early access tft central review and they say that this monitor has the lowest input lag of any they have tested. That was the reason I bought it. Not sure when rtings is going to release their review? The tft central review is what is still giving me hope that there is a way to get this fixed. If they are saying it’s the lowest input lag monitor they have ever tested then I am hopeful there is just something we are missing.

Glado
Posts: 9
Joined: 28 Jul 2020, 11:05

Re: Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Post by Glado » 03 Oct 2020, 13:13

Stevie66 wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 10:06
Glado wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 04:33
Stevie66 wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 19:56
How are you liking the OD on Normal and 360hz clarity compared to the other 240-280hz monitors?
I think clarity wise the Pg259qn is better or at least comparable to the vg259qm with the recommended settings from the owners forum here. I don’t see any huge differences in game between the two which is good because I felt both were excellent for clarity.

As for input lag, which I feel is the most important factor for me, a crazy part of me feels this monitor is not as responsive. I keep telling myself it has to be placebo and that I’m just second guessing myself after the initial 3 hours playing with gsync off where the monitor was lagging horribly, but I can’t shake the feeling.
That doesn't sound right at all, sounds like you have a faulty monitor or something else is up because Hardware Unboxed tested the input lag as one of the lowest they've ever tested, if you're actually experiencing horrible lag then that's way more than a few ms difference
Yeah and that’s the thing. I’ve seen those same reviews so I am genuinely confused with my experience. With gsync on the monitor is acceptable but feels slightly worse than my 144hz monitor for input lag. When gsync is off it genuinely feels like I’m playing on a 60hz monitor. All my movements become clunky and heavy. And if I’m turning right and then turn left it feels like there is almost a second of delay before the turn registers.

Definitely could be a faulty monitor because that level of input lag seems unacceptable for a modern high quality monitor. I will keep testing and listening to what people are posting on here to see if we can make any breakthroughs or find a setting that gets it to that world class input lag all the review sites are raving about!

Alpha
Posts: 98
Joined: 09 Jul 2020, 17:58

Re: Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Post by Alpha » 03 Oct 2020, 19:31

Stevie66 wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 10:06
Glado wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 04:33
Stevie66 wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 19:56
How are you liking the OD on Normal and 360hz clarity compared to the other 240-280hz monitors?
I think clarity wise the Pg259qn is better or at least comparable to the vg259qm with the recommended settings from the owners forum here. I don’t see any huge differences in game between the two which is good because I felt both were excellent for clarity.

As for input lag, which I feel is the most important factor for me, a crazy part of me feels this monitor is not as responsive. I keep telling myself it has to be placebo and that I’m just second guessing myself after the initial 3 hours playing with gsync off where the monitor was lagging horribly, but I can’t shake the feeling.
That doesn't sound right at all, sounds like you have a faulty monitor or something else is up because Hardware Unboxed tested the input lag as one of the lowest they've ever tested, if you're actually experiencing horrible lag then that's way more than a few ms difference
For me, I can't call it horrible lag and not sure lag would be the right word maybe hitches. I can not wrap my brain around why this is most evident in AimLabs. I can make a quick vid but what is happening in Aimlabs kinda mimics my desktop when apps start. I am really thinking this is a bios issue since that is the only that that has changed and a 2 modifications resolved the COD completely but not Aimlabs. After some bios changes today, COD is 100% good. Left Reflex and Boost on and all felt will. In Aimlabs, I'll flick and shoot a target, see it and beyond a doubt its a hit but it doesn't register. It's like some is behind from what I am seeing vs where it is registering. I'll likely roll back tomorrow but curiosity has me on the cause. I need to try CS:GO to see if when CPU spikes hit.

workerONE
Posts: 10
Joined: 23 Sep 2020, 19:57

Re: Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Post by workerONE » 03 Oct 2020, 20:05

Can someone comment about the brightness with ULMB enabled? Almost every monitor review I read (except for XL2456) says that enabling ULMB makes monitors too dim. Hoping this monitor is bright enough w/ ULMB (IIRC it's not available at 360Hz)

.kernel 0x000
Posts: 27
Joined: 15 Nov 2014, 18:07

Re: Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Post by .kernel 0x000 » 03 Oct 2020, 21:42

How is the strobing like in this monitor? I remember when I had the RoG Swift PG278Q years ago the strobing only looked "good" at really low brightness and it hurt my eyes like hell. I've written off strobing since then and never tried another monitor so I'm just wondering if there is a difference here since the strobing is at 240Hz and I heard having higher refresh rate limits gives the strobing more headroom to look good. Can someone please clarify this for me?

Alpha
Posts: 98
Joined: 09 Jul 2020, 17:58

Re: Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Post by Alpha » 04 Oct 2020, 07:59

Glado wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 13:13
Stevie66 wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 10:06
Glado wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 04:33
Stevie66 wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 19:56
How are you liking the OD on Normal and 360hz clarity compared to the other 240-280hz monitors?
I think clarity wise the Pg259qn is better or at least comparable to the vg259qm with the recommended settings from the owners forum here. I don’t see any huge differences in game between the two which is good because I felt both were excellent for clarity.

As for input lag, which I feel is the most important factor for me, a crazy part of me feels this monitor is not as responsive. I keep telling myself it has to be placebo and that I’m just second guessing myself after the initial 3 hours playing with gsync off where the monitor was lagging horribly, but I can’t shake the feeling.
That doesn't sound right at all, sounds like you have a faulty monitor or something else is up because Hardware Unboxed tested the input lag as one of the lowest they've ever tested, if you're actually experiencing horrible lag then that's way more than a few ms difference
Yeah and that’s the thing. I’ve seen those same reviews so I am genuinely confused with my experience. With gsync on the monitor is acceptable but feels slightly worse than my 144hz monitor for input lag. When gsync is off it genuinely feels like I’m playing on a 60hz monitor. All my movements become clunky and heavy. And if I’m turning right and then turn left it feels like there is almost a second of delay before the turn registers.

Definitely could be a faulty monitor because that level of input lag seems unacceptable for a modern high quality monitor. I will keep testing and listening to what people are posting on here to see if we can make any breakthroughs or find a setting that gets it to that world class input lag all the review sites are raving about!
This sounds horrible! Mine is not like that and I am extremely sorry to hear this. Maybe some of this information will help. I play in the sweatiest lobbies in the world in Warzone, caught 4 wins yesterday (should have been 5 but I thirsted a frag thinking self revive in a 2v1 and died) and can say with 100% conviction, even with a half second delay I'm dead. The volume of hackers (real, not crying but full on hackers) is insane at times though yesterday I can't say I saw any with 100% conviction which quite honestly may be a first. Servers weren't punch a baby bad either, they weren't any decent PC server acceptable but you know what I am saying. In any case, perfect matrix to test. I was leveling up the new sniper which requires incredible fast reflexes for no scopes and I was legit popping off. KD ended up less than .1 than my lifetime average. We were legit memeing it, I did not have my squad and with guns that were no where close to be leveled. It felt really good. Some of the drops to the lower 140 fps would get me killed on other displays. When flicking the larger drops in FPS were an issue with the VG259QM but definitely not game breaking I can't use this. This was not experienced with the Omen X 25F.

I can't say this for sure but I believe my issue has to do with the CPU maxing/spiking. I run a Ryzen 3900 and the latest bios and AEGAS has cased some USB VDROOP. I increased the VSOC Voltage and VDDG too 950/1050. Bottomline is AMD's new Bios appears to be broken some how as well as the AEGAS. I'd wager heavy it has to do with the Ryzen 5000 series coming. The current machines (I have 3 higher end Ryzen machines) 2 seem to not like as tight timings on the memory. At 1900:1900 IF, my memory @ 3800 CL14 was extremely fussy. Been stable since launch day stressed 24 hours. Another machine I did a slight rollback on memory speed (to 3400). Everything tested and stable. Nvidia released the new driver update which is interesting for two reasons.

Kinda of a summary,
One of my Ryzen machines has been left a lone. 0 issues. No hitches. This means, no new Nvidia driver, no new AEGAS, bios is not current, working as expected. Another one, not using a Nvidia card, updated bios and chipset, fussy until I lowered the timings. This DID NOT have issues with the hiccups in Aimlabs. Main rig, updated everything fussy until I upped some of my voltage and I hear a new AEGAS is coming soon. I lowered my mem to 1600 and tightened timings CL14-14-14-1-28 1T and its completely stable. Since I am dropping a new CPU in it soon, I'll leave it as is. All gameplay yesterday was after the changes. Aimlabs, still has weird ass hit detection. Have not noticed anywhere else except when launching an app in Windows. I get that mouse stutter shit for a second. So weird. I could move my Omen to this machine and see if it does the same thing but at this point it's just Aimlabs so I am ok.

Here is TFT review, https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/as ... g259qn.htm. workerONE, for me ULMB is perfect and brighter than I would ever use.

Stevie66
Posts: 204
Joined: 06 Aug 2020, 15:56

Re: Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Post by Stevie66 » 04 Oct 2020, 10:42

Tftcentral says this monitor also supports Freesync with AMD cards, but does anyone know if it also supports the Variable Overdrive? is Variable Overdrive always on and working or only when GSync in enabled?

RLCSContender*
Posts: 541
Joined: 13 Jan 2021, 22:49
Contact:

Re: Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Post by RLCSContender* » 04 Oct 2020, 13:57

Stevie66 wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 10:42
Tftcentral says this monitor also supports Freesync with AMD cards, but does anyone know if it also supports the Variable Overdrive? is Variable Overdrive always on and working or only when GSync in enabled?
All native g sync modules support variable overdrive. The problem is, it's poorly implemented in the pg259qn because if it had good Variable overdrive tuning, the asymmetrical blur should be kept in check throughout the refresh rate range since the OD voltage adapts to the changing framerates.

I've owned the acer predator xb273x and Viewsonic elite xg270qg, both native g sync modules and variable overdrive works well. (Asymmetrical blur such as ghosting or inverse ghosting is kept in check throughout the refresh rate range in those aforementioned g sync monitors). The asus pg259qn is the only native g sync module that has semi aggressive asymmetrical blur on its marketed 360hz refresh that I know.

Good news is, it has about 33.33% less motion blur since the monitor's refresh rate is about 33.33% more than 240hz refresh rate monitors. It also has 4% less input lag relative to 240hz monitors. This is contingent if the game you play can get to 360hz framerate.

Post Reply