Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RLCSContender*

Re: Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Post by RLCSContender* » 30 Sep 2020, 19:15

Here's an example of my ufo test . This is my alienware aw2521hfl, the monitor I use to compete professionally. I ranked at #3 in motion clarity at 3.3 g2g. The way this monitor is tuned make it very difficult to beat in motion clarity

phpBB [video]

At 240hz, i don't have to change the shutter speed to 1/4th. that only apply to lower refresh rates. I can get a perfect straight line ufo test. If i get over exposure, I just lower the brightness on the monitor.

Anyway TC, select OD off and put it at either 240hz or 360hz(i wanna see both) Make sure u are on portrait mode(your smart phone camera is vertical) and track the ufo. Try to get a straight white line with a small gap in between.

I look forward to seeing those pursuit tests tomorrow. If I like what I see, I will buy the pg259qn. LTT And HU only showed the ufo tests on unplayAble OD with inverse ghosting coronas.

workerONE

Post by workerONE » 30 Sep 2020, 20:48

I picked up one from microcenter and it's broken. I drove 4 hours and need to drive another 4 hours to return it.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 01 Oct 2020, 10:46

RLCScontender wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 19:15
Here's an example of my ufo test . This is my alienware aw2521hfl, the monitor I use to compete professionally. I ranked at #3 in motion clarity at 3.3 g2g. The way this monitor is tuned make it very difficult to beat in motion clarity

phpBB [video]

At 240hz, i don't have to change the shutter speed to 1/4th. that only apply to lower refresh rates. I can get a perfect straight line ufo test. If i get over exposure, I just lower the brightness on the monitor.

Anyway TC, select OD off and put it at either 240hz or 360hz(i wanna see both) Make sure u are on portrait mode(your smart phone camera is vertical) and track the ufo. Try to get a straight white line with a small gap in between.

I look forward to seeing those pursuit tests tomorrow. If I like what I see, I will buy the pg259qn. LTT And HU only showed the ufo tests on unplayAble OD with inverse ghosting coronas.
That test will be much easier due to the volume of UFO's, thanks for sharing.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 01 Oct 2020, 10:47

workerONE wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 20:48
I picked up one from microcenter and it's broken. I drove 4 hours and need to drive another 4 hours to return it.
That is a massive bummer and I am sorry to hear that. Excitement there and disappointment back.

What was broken? Not powering up, broken glass?

workerONE

Post by workerONE » 01 Oct 2020, 12:26

Alpha wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 10:47
workerONE wrote:
30 Sep 2020, 20:48
That is a massive bummer and I am sorry to hear that. Excitement there and disappointment back.

What was broken? Not powering up, broken glass?
The screen was broken/cracked. When I ran my hand across the surface, I couldn't feel it but when powering on I could see the screen itself was broken.

canx66

Post by canx66 » 01 Oct 2020, 17:28

Do you think the Reflex Analyzer for at least 100€ more is worth it? Iam waiting, but I dont know. I already have neurosis for input latency. I miss 1 shot and check everything. Iam afraid that I do nothing but testing and cant concentrate on actual gaming. Can some one relate? I dont know. What do you think?

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 01 Oct 2020, 17:37

canx66 wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 17:28
Do you think the Reflex Analyzer for at least 100€ more is worth it? Iam waiting, but I dont know. I already have neurosis for input latency. I miss 1 shot and check everything. Iam afraid that I do nothing but testing and cant concentrate on actual gaming. Can some one relate? I dont know. What do you think?
If you have money to swap out GPU, CPU RAM Mobo etc etc freely then I'd say go for it, because watching the video that's what it looks like it's good for, spending a lot of money to find the best combination of hardware for the lowest latency lol

canx66

Post by canx66 » 01 Oct 2020, 18:03

Stevie66 wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 17:37
canx66 wrote:
01 Oct 2020, 17:28
If you have money to swap out GPU, CPU RAM Mobo etc etc freely then I'd say go for it, because watching the video that's what it looks like it's good for, spending a lot of money to find the best combination of hardware for the lowest latency lol
No. But making settings? Registry? And everything what I do usually. You know?

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 01 Oct 2020, 21:39

360hz no OD
360hz no od st.jpg
360hz no od st.jpg (102.64 KiB) Viewed 7632 times
Had to use a snipping tool due to image size.

240hz no OD
240hz no OD.jpg
240hz no OD.jpg (150.41 KiB) Viewed 7632 times
I did not have the capacity today to go through the proper steps Chief listed. Sorry guys. These are with an iphone cam.

Glado

Post by Glado » 02 Oct 2020, 14:56

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on the site after being a long time lurker. The work you guys do is awesome so thank you for all the information you have shared. I acquired a Pg259qn and feel like my experience has been slightly different than alphas flawless experience so I figured I’d share some info. I do not know how to do the extensive blur testing and other things you do appropriately, so my experience will just be based on what I can say concretely from the ufo test and testing the monitor in game with fps readings.

I have logged probably around 3.5k hours In rocket league so a lot of my experience with this monitor will come from play testing in that game.

-When I first started using my monitor I was extremely underwhelmed and it felt very laggy. Not only was there input lag but every 20-30 seconds the whole screen would stutter for half a second. This was at 360hz with an uncapped frame rate (fps around 500-600 in game when uncapped) and gsync, vsync, ulmb off and low latency mode on ultra. The lag I had was substantially worse than my old 144hz monitor.

-when I enabled gsync the monitor felt substantially less laggy. This with was gsync enabled and vsync on or off. It did not matter. As long as gsync was enabled the game felt much more responsive and while I have no equipment to get an exact reading on latency this was by no means a placebo. The difference was dramatic.

-Something concerning I noticed is that if I enabled gsync and vsync my fps is locked hovering between 330-340fps. This makes me think the monitor does not reach a true 360 hz in game? My fps in game climbs to 500 easily so I would imagine that it has to be an issue on the monitor side forcing my fps lower than it should?

-I also noticed the game seemed a bit more responsive again when I switched the monitor mode to esports/gsync mode. This was not nearly as big of an effect and very well could be placebo. I assumed these picture modes did not have an affect on input lag but just changed brightness and other things. However I gave this setting a try because gsync had performed so dramatically different when enabled and this mode had gsync in the name.

All in all, because of this variety of issues this monitor has felt like a mixed bag for me. For $700 I expected a superb monitor that would blow everything else I had used out of the water and I do not feel like I got that. Not being able to remove gsync is bizarre to me since I’ve never used it before and the fps capping lower than expected with vsync enabled seems to indicate an issue with the monitor (this has never happened with any other monitor I’ve tested).

Hopefully some of this info is useful to you all. I know it’s not the most scientific info in the world but maybe it provides some insight around this monitor. I had used the vg259qm for about a month before buying this monitor. The vg259qm felt more responsive and had less issues but maybe I need to find the right settings for the Pg259qn. I bought this monitor because Tft centrals early review said this was the fastest monitor in the word right now, but I can’t help feeling a bit disappointed at the moment. Currently considering returning it and repurchasing the vg259qm.