Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Alpha

Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Post by Alpha » 26 Sep 2020, 13:06

Secured mine today. Going to check for stuck pixels and runs some test. Mostly this will be compared to my VG259QM and Omen X 25F. Will check to see if there are any hidden service menu items like the OD120. Maybe a ULMB @ 360 :lol: ?

Evidently we can reach for the future around here with display technology but can't attach a higher resolution image. Come on Chief.... :twisted:

Alpha

Re: Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Post by Alpha » 27 Sep 2020, 08:09

Run down of my experience so far. This is purely based on competitive play.

To clear some of the misinformation, you do not need a monitor that has Reflex to use this feature. There is a QNR variant coming in a few months that will have the "analyzer" but any monitor can do this. The SDK simply requires this gets built into the game and not display dependent. Think of it as the right combo of settings for latency based on a game performance scenario.

Few highlights,

-The English directions do not show how to get the stand off. The English edition online are in Japanese on Asus website. Scroll down to view for now. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/LCD% ... panese.pdf If this gets moved look closely at the notch behind the stand. Pop it out with a flat head screw driver or a flat tool you're comfortable with. The recession is DEEP for the vesa mounting (100x100). If you intend on putting the mounting bracket on first and it won't fit into the arm slot don't panic, just put the mounting bracket into the arm and hold the monitor and screw it into the vesa mount already mounted on arm... duh :lol: .

-Stunning image out of the box. (Who cares, I know. This is nice when I am editing content.). You likely won't have to touch anything with this.

-G-Sync Esports Mode is awesome profile to switch too. Yes you lose image quality but no one will be hiding in the shadows or anywhere.

-I have not been able to get into the service menu. Anyone know of other Asus options to get in? While on request, what is the trick to capturing decent UFO images? I can not get focused in time for even a semi representative image.

-I have not tested ULMB. Quite honestly I was curious how this stacked again the VG259QM. I'll play with this later but not much interest due to the glaring 240hz situation.

-I couldn't say before which I thought was faster between the VG259QM and the Omen X 25F. Omen X 25F is the all around better monitor as the FPS and scenario of game you're playing determines the proximity of how these two compete. Meaning if you take an FPS hit due to game performance VG259QM feels like it slows down much much much worse by comparison. Image on the X 25F I will echo what I have said, you would not tell it's a TN panel however with my X 27 you can tell every time in double blind test. The X 25F is my favorite TN panel I have seen and owned easy. The PG259QN is better than all of these models unequivocally. This is in regards to picture, response, motion, blur, feel. I believe the next would be the X 25F as the all arounder. With the VG259QM the few ms differences with ULMB on vs OD I could feel and mentioned multiple times before reviews ever hit showing there was a difference. I didn't think it was game breaking of course but enough OD was a no brainer to me. The PG259QN just shits all over everything I have used. I tend to like turning off VRR, GSync, VSync, and I just uncap frames and let it go. Games like Rainbow Six Siege this is perfect as my FPS are 350-400. Games like Warzone can be a bit of a PIA. Playing both on the PG259QN Warzone is still a buggy pile of shit but I get 170-210fps and have never seen it smoother\less blurry. It's a MASSIVE difference over the VG259QM for those wondering. On Siege, holy shit. This isn't placebo. I am at a financial place in my life replacing this tomorrow at the cost of the display doesn't matter as I play competitively and this is my hobby I have the blessings to throw disposable income at (my only other hobby is expensive being mountain biking but I don't drink alcohol spending money at bars or whatever or eat out a lot as I prefer healthier lifestyle). I am not team XYZ, I just want the best experience based on my needs and price isn't a concern and I don't have any allegiances to any technology. I just don't care. Junk is junk, good is good.

The PG259QN is amazing. Leaving Gsync on, LLM Ultra, Preferred Refresh @ Highest Available and using the application settings for VSync (I left off in both instances and did not notice any lower tearing at all.). There was a few plays I made on Siege that had me like wow. Not sure I'd have managed that without the display. That could be placebo of course lol. The speed at which you move and response is on a level and games where the mechanics are important I can't imagine people not knowing or being able to feel it. Its significant to me.

-This monitor is going to review extremely high everywhere. Out of the box picture, modes to choose from like Dark Boost and really the settings in general not needing to be touched in terms of calibration but switched is awesome.

-eSports will move to 360hz. This is blatantly obvious now.

-The RGB on back is stupid. Should have had a light underneath like the Omen Series or really not at all. Wasted expense.

-Silly there is not a software solution for adjusting in Windows. While pushing buttons on the back is easy it feels archaic. They have a software solution that is pretty robust for the RGB but not for the monitor settings and what not. This is a complete shame.

-Check the manual for the OD sight options. These changed from what they have shown. Definitely improved over the VG259QM.

Is this monitor's performance worth the price over what I personally think is one of the best monitors out specifically due to price, the VG259QM? For me without a doubt. Should you ditch your XL2546S or Omen X 25F for the PG259QN? It will be worth it over the XL2546 unless you're a hardcore Dyac lover (nothing wrong with that, do you and enjoy what your eyes like!), bummer about the S\K situation, the Omen X 25F maybe not as there are likely to be cheaper alternatives around the corner without the GSync module. If you want the best though, PG259QN is it.

There is going to be two types of people.

1) Those who can easily tell and feel what this monitor adds.
2) Those who can't and they will hate it and call BS.

Bottomline, you know what you know. This is going to be an AMD\Intel, TN\IPS, Xbox\PS, AMD\Nvidia all over again. My advice, do you on what you prefer based on your own personal experience. If your eyes\brain or whatever science\biology makes the potential benefits felt, you're in for a f'n tasty treat and that is a fact. I hope every single person out there hates this wasted technology that's a gimmick over 240hz for any reason they can name. That way I can sit back and shot them in the face while smiling. Frames do win games.

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 27 Sep 2020, 13:20

if I can ask you, in your opinion how do games feel and look when the fps is not at 360 on this monitor compared to a 240 hz monitor?

I mean, say you are running a game that varies 150-300 fps during a match, does it still look a lot smoother and feel better on this monitor, than a 240 hz monitor? or is the difference only really noticeable in games where you can actually have 360 fps?

monitor looks awesome anyway but is very expensive here in sweden , like 800 euro xD

PLUSPUNKT

Post by PLUSPUNKT » 27 Sep 2020, 14:19

Alpha wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 08:09
Games like Warzone can be a bit of a PIA. Playing both on the PG259QN Warzone is still a buggy pile of shit but I get 170-210fps and have never seen it smoother\less blurry. It's a MASSIVE difference over the VG259QM for those wondering.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 27 Sep 2020, 21:41

alexander1986 wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 13:20
if I can ask you, in your opinion how do games feel and look when the fps is not at 360 on this monitor compared to a 240 hz monitor?

I mean, say you are running a game that varies 150-300 fps during a match, does it still look a lot smoother and feel better on this monitor, than a 240 hz monitor? or is the difference only really noticeable in games where you can actually have 360 fps?

monitor looks awesome anyway but is very expensive here in sweden , like 800 euro xD
Extremely good as in the best I have seen. Sorry man, I want to say some bad things about it but just shy of no OS interfacing software its literally damn near perfect. Dead serious. I've been playing around with ULLM, GSync, VSync On\Off\Fast, Frame Cap. Only thing I haven't tried is everything off. Warzone has massive breaks in frames and I have never seen it smoother or clearer. Only played 3-4 matches. Siege though is insane. I was hoping to do some test with Aim Labs but I have the infamous no hit bug I've been dealing with (since before the display.) so the results would not be accurate. No idea how to fix it.

It's expensive. It's 1080p. Its the fastest monitor you can get I can absolutely guarantee I'd tell in a double blind. Everyone is different though, plenty of reviews where people could not tell. I'll wager heavy, all esports teams will move to the 360hz displays. Its just a matter of time now.

Edit, if I was you I would perhaps consider waiting. The non Gsync modules are coming and they'll likely be less expensive. I can't imagine them coming with more accurate colors but that's subjective (perception) anyway. If you bought now, it would be hard to believe your jaw wouldn't be on the floor. It reminds me of when I got my first Kuro. Jaw dropping every time I watched a movie on it. Even my OLED's do not have the motion it does. This monitor can brings years of satisfaction and that is extremely rare for me to say. If 480hz hits this year and the cards can deliver the frame rate I'd be in but reluctantly. ASUS killed it with this. Can't wait to see what MSI and the others bring.

elliott

Post by elliott » 28 Sep 2020, 00:31

Thanks for sharing your review, I’m definitely sold on trying this out. For those of us still trying to get our hands on one, could you share where you nabbed this? I’m still trying to find a good option for acquisition.

workerONE

Post by workerONE » 28 Sep 2020, 01:49

How is the brightness with ULMB on? Have you been able to test it at different refresh rates? Do you know where/when they'll be sold online?

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 28 Sep 2020, 10:12

Just search your online stores it's not that difficult, they are probably most sold out though because a lot went on sale a week ago. Microcenter, Newegg, Bhphotovideo etc
I preordered mine from Amazon, saw it at Bestbuy too

canx66

Post by canx66 » 28 Sep 2020, 12:36

Thank you for your review!

I can't wait to buy this monitor, especially after I read your Review. But my thought is to buy one time and good. So Iam waiting for the R-Version. Which comes with the stand and the Reflex feature. You wrote, that its not necesarry and any monitor can do that? Can you pls explain this? Is the wait for the R Version not worth? @TO ALL - Do you think it will come with more features than the mounting kit and Reflex Feature? Maybe it will be faster? I dont know.. I REALLY want to buy this monitor, but I dont want to regret it, after I see the R Version is much better, for a little bit money more.

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 28 Sep 2020, 12:41

canx66 wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 12:36
Thank you for your review!

I can't wait to buy this monitor, especially after I read your Review. But my thought is to buy one time and good. So Iam waiting for the R-Version. Which comes with the stand and the Reflex feature. You wrote, that its not necesarry and any monitor can do that? Can you pls explain this? Is the wait for the R Version not worth? @TO ALL - Do you think it will come with more features than the mounting kit and Reflex Feature? Maybe it will be faster? I dont know.. I REALLY want to buy this monitor, but I dont want to regret it, after I see the R Version is much better, for a little bit money more.
The R version has a Reflex Analyzer, to see stats on which part of your hardware has unnecessary input lag etc, you also need a special mouse for it.
Nvidia Reflex itself works with all monitors, you just need a modern enough Nvidia GPU(900 series and up) and a game that supports it.