Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Stevie66

Re: Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Post by Stevie66 » 22 Nov 2020, 22:49

Q83Ia7ta wrote:
22 Nov 2020, 22:22
Glad rtings made a review. Difference with VG279QM is minimal and some characteristics like quality of overdrive (overshoot) is better by VG279QM.
btw VG259QM is worse than VG279QM by rtings review.
VG279QM on the left, PG279QN on the right
diff2.png
---
source: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/co ... 9768/17390
Should check out Hardware Unboxed reviews of both monitors too, they show slightly different averages and show how much percentage in window too that I don't think RTings shows. VG279QM at 280hz OD 80 shows 40% of frames in window and the 360hz Asus shows 65%, the 360hz should have a bit more clarity but not sure if it's worth it or not. Getting my 27" soon and going to compare it with my 25" 280hz Asus

EliteA1

Post by EliteA1 » 24 Nov 2020, 02:12

So I've owned the PG259QN for over a month now I play Overwatch, Valorant and Dota 2 and I play them pretty competitively being around 4.4k in Overwatch which is top 500 as well as immortal in Dota. I switched from an Omen 25F (240 TN) and the sure the color is better on IPS but when I had them both mirrored it wasn't as big of a difference as I thought it would be. Some shades of red and green were better but the higher end TN panels do a really good job. As far the motion from my experience the Asus beats it out on UFO test at 240 and obviously at 360.

One of my very first high refresh monitors was a benQ XL2411T from 2012 I always used the Toasty program to enable the old school lightboost. I played that way for years then read that it added input delay so I haven't had strobing on in the last 8 years. Well recently I felt like I've been missing a lot of point blank headshots in Overwatch the ones where I have to pretty much spin the mouse and click at the perfect time when someone is in my face. I decided to turn on the ULMB and I Swear it isn't placebo I instantly started to do a lot better motion was super clean when spinning (which is the point of the strobing) The issue with the Asus is that it does suffer a massive brightness loss with the strobing on even with the pulses at 100% it's honestly too dark despite brightness being at 100. I did watch a video with the strobing on with someone using the 360 Alienware and they claimed there was almost no brightness loss it that might be a better choice for those who want to strobe on some games and 360 for the rest. The shadow boost on the Asus is decent but no where near as good as the black eq from benQ.

I ordered the benQ XL2546k as I want to try a monitor with better strobing that doesn't lose brightness and is a little more clean on top of having really name black EQ and a digital vibrancy setting.

Does the PG259QN beat out other monitors including the benQ without strobing? Absolutely if you don't do any strobing the 360 is a better monitor. If you do strobing tho I Would stay away from it and consider a benQ or the Alienware version (even when the alienware strobes its not as clear as the benQ) Do I strobe games like Dota? Absolutely not but do I need 360 for Dota? No.. (game is literally FPS capped to 240 by valve also)

Sum it up color is slightly better on these 360 but I'm not overly impressed coming from a high end TN. Motion is better than other monitors if you don't strobe. If you strobe it's really dark and still not as good as other strobing monitors. Trying out 2546k....

howiec

Post by howiec » 04 Dec 2020, 03:00

howiec wrote:
17 Nov 2020, 07:14
Chillen wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 23:24
So I had the vertical bars going across the screen as well. It's just hard to see in the picture.
My issue was nothing like what's seen in the pictures. It was extremely obvious without any need to zoom in on the pixels. Imagine numerous alternating thick bars of solid and partially corrupted pixels.
So after a while it happened again but this time I took pics. Most likely caused by running the panel at 433Hz for too long so be careful.

Issue was easily resolved by disconnecting monitor power to reset it. Not sure if this issue will occur at lower OC refresh rates, e.g. 400Hz but it's probably not worth the risk.

I highly doubt this classifies as pixel inversion artifacts. It seems more like some sort of issue with the controller and/or related electronics.

Last edited by howiec on 06 Dec 2020, 13:17, edited 2 times in total.

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 04 Dec 2020, 05:30

EliteA1 wrote:
24 Nov 2020, 02:12
So I've owned the PG259QN for over a month now I play Overwatch, Valorant and Dota 2 and I play them pretty competitively being around 4.4k in Overwatch which is top 500 as well as immortal in Dota.
Well recently I felt like I've been missing a lot of point blank headshots in Overwatch the ones where I have to pretty much spin the mouse and click at the perfect time when someone is in my face. I decided to turn on the ULMB and I Swear it isn't placebo I instantly started to do a lot better motion was super clean when spinning (which is the point of the strobing)
I agree, strobing when playing Overwatch feels great, being able to perfectly understand every piece of information during teamfights is why I always keep Dyac+ enabled on my XL2546k when playing this game.
A great example of characters benefitting from strobing is Genji during blade when you are in the middle of a teamfight and you look around to find squishy targets to reset the dash, even Brig becomes 100x more cancerous with perfect motion clarity :lol:

I'm not really seeing much benefit when I play things like Widow/Ashe/Cree with Dyac enabled, it does make sense since strobing isn't known for benefitting staring at your crosstalk play styles, but it does noticeably improve spacial awareness.

You'll be able to spot that Widow's head peeking from a corner while you spin your view, it definitely is a game changer for most heroes + you can play at a very high brightness on the benq (2x higher than on my VG259QM with ELMB enabled).

I'm not as high elo as you (peaked 3.8k but it was a couple of seasons ago, been hardstuck since :mrgreen: ) but I can tell that it benefits the competitive experience in this specific game.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

effjaysea

Post by effjaysea » 04 Dec 2020, 14:45

3 units tested and 2 had a lot of light bleed. Third unit is far from great, but closer to acceptable. 2 units had delta e of 97 & 95 and one of 57.

Even with lightbleed and ips glow this monitor is a huge improvement over XL2546K's vertical gamma issue. BenQ's monitor also has some huge design flaw with their units that show a massive dark rectangle in the middle of the screen (all 3 units had the same thing). Not sure if that's normal for TN's in general, but paying 600 euros for a monitor that looked that shit just wasn't going to happen. DyAc+ is nice, but I'm performing better with the Asus already so no real loss there.

I think there's a serious issue with BLB on these units I've tried mainly due to the bezel/frame of the monitor. It shouldn't leak through the way it is. I've seen countless ''gaming'' ips monitors that have awful IPS glow, but nowhere near the same amount of weird light bleed at the bottom of the bezel. I wonder if MSI/Dell/Acer will have the same problem.

Also, review units can eat my ass as it doesn't seem like any reviewers had these issues. :x

Stevie66

Post by Stevie66 » 04 Dec 2020, 17:23

I should be getting my PG259QN next week, hope it has no BLB, my 2 280hz Asus were pretty perfect, my Alienware was decent and Msi decent.

effjaysea

Post by effjaysea » 04 Dec 2020, 18:07

be sure to report back. hopefully your luck is better than mine.

Sergio

Post by Sergio » 04 Dec 2020, 23:08

I currently own a Xl2546 and a Dell s2417dg , I recently bought the PG259qn and I was very disappointed with colors, yes its a little bit better and yes a little bit faster but at the end i think I very much prefer my dell (which I got for 200$ on craiglist) i mainly play high rank Apex legends and Battlefield games.
I will return it and probably will try either the alienware or the MSI that so coming out in January.
At this point I really would like a 24inch 1440p at 240hz.

effjaysea

Post by effjaysea » 05 Dec 2020, 15:05

24/25'' 1440p 240hz IPS with great ULMB would be a dream come true for sure.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Dec 2020, 18:23

howiec wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 03:00
I highly doubt this classifies as pixel inversion. It seems more like some sort of issue with the controller and/or related electronics.
It's not an inversion artifact.

Also, please... please... don't call artifacts as "pixel inversion".
Don't confuse inversion from inversion artifacts...

Glossary
pixel inversion ... Beneficial invisible algorithm that all LCD monitors have to protect against LCD image retention.
inversion artifact ... Visible side effects from inversion algorithms that should have been invisible.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!