Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Alpha

Re: Official Asus ROG Swift 360Hz PG259QN Owners Thread

Post by Alpha » 05 Oct 2020, 12:29

axaro1 wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 06:44
Glado wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 19:31
Alright so I had a bit of a breakthrough. I tried getting the new DisplayPort cable to work because I thought it was bizarre that it was not even turning on. I find that the lip they have at the bottom of the monitor makes it extremely difficult to plug in the cables sometimes. I’m going to sound like an idiot, but the cable was only partially plugged in. When I pushed the DisplayPort cable until I thought it was going to break , the cable finally fully went in the monitor popped to life.

After this I went into game and tested those same mechanics I described before. To my surprise using this new cable things were working flawlessly. I finally have that same super responsive feeling I had with the vg259qm again. I would say I wasn’t just able to do the mechanics but a lot of them felt easier than they have ever felt before.

This leads me to believe that the DisplayPort cable that ASUS provided me had an issue and was causing the lag problems I was seeing before? I am very glad I decided I was going to give the monitor one more shot with the new display cable because the difference between what I saw before and what I see now is literally night and day.
The cable coming with the VG259QM was kinda cheap, when I was using a DP 1.4 certified cable my monitor was displaying the 2 different DP modes (whether 1.2+HDR or 1.1), now that I'm back to the original cable (since I ended up breaking the 1.4) it doesn't even make me click on the "Displayport Ver." setting.
Alpha wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 05:51
That is amazing and smart to go after that display port cable. You should definitely reach out to Asus. The quality appearance of the cable I am quite surprised with as it appears top notch.
As a general rule when purchasing DP I generally aim for +1/2 generations newer DP cables compared to the monitor standard (For example 1.3 or 1.4 for 1.2/1.2a ports) and most importantly I double check on https://www.displayport.org/product-cat ... -adaptors/ to make sure that it's actually VeSa certified

Another very important thing to keep in mind is to buy a short DP cable, preferably 1.8m or less. If it's 4-5m long there's high chance that you won't be able to reach enough bandwith, there are multiple reports of people struggling to run 1440p 144hz on 4/5m long DP cables which were solved by buying shorter cables (or eventually messing with PreEmphasis and Voltage swing, PreEmphasis to create micro packet overshoot to balance signal attenuation, Voltage Swing to overvolt the Displayport link, but these are just workaround to the cable length issue).

In some cases even flickering can be solved by using a VeSa certified cable.
Monitor producers have no interest in spending money to get the VeSa certifications.
All words of wisdom thank you for reiterating them! I may be crazy but I don't think the Display Port cable is the same on my VG259QM as it is on my PG259QN but don't hold me to that! I'd need to check. I used the PG259QN out of the box and did not it seemed pretty thick than others but new monitor, all excited, trying to figure out how to get the dang stand off (Japanese instructions online showed before they updated and it wasn't in the manual included). It's 1.4 though a small revision was made for 1.4A in 2018. Struggling finding a 1.4A.

Also, does anyone have a list of things to try to get into service menu? No luck using VG259QM method. No idea if Asus is pretty standard with this or not.

ericl

Post by ericl » 05 Oct 2020, 12:52

Anyone in Canada selling the Asus pg259qn? They are currently sold out :|

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Oct 2020, 13:48

ericl wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 12:52
Anyone in Canada selling the Asus pg259qn? They are currently sold out :|
If the US Amazon sells it, some vendors may ship to Canada for a premium. More price/customs, but if you can't wait, this is one avenue -- ordering from Amazon USA to ship to Canada (for sellers that support shipping to Canada).
speancer wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 03:00
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 22:36
For example, I now also have the prototype 8000 Hz Razer mouse, and it's helping 360 Hz mucho.
How is 8000 Hz polling rate helping with 360 Hz display experience?
Patience. This will be revealed in an upcoming Chief Blur Busters analysis article. I'm not following the mainstream sheep, as my testing methodology is going to be different -- much more Blur Busteresque, with a possible brand new Blur Busters invention I haven't disclosed yet.

I feel 360Hz _really_ needs an 8000Hz mouse, big time. 1000Hz poll rate just ain't enough because harmonic jittering becomes worse as refresh rates (240...280...360...) gets closer to mouse poll rate (1000). Like two audio frequencies getting together and starting generating harmonics.

Ain't music science great (the two frequencies beat-frequencying against each other in amplified jittering).

It may have contributed partially to LinusTechTips real-world-game having little difference 240Hz vs 360Hz, the mouse is becoming the major weak link.

I switch to my back to a 1000 Hz mouse and I just suddenly hold my nose as I drop it out of the way -- ick. Discordant! Erratic phantom array effect. Right now, a 1000Hz mouse on 360Hz has a worse/more jagged phantom array than 500Hz mouse on 120Hz (old 2014 image), given sufficiently fast cursor movements.

Definitely 8000 Hz mice are the way of the future for anyone using 240Hz and above, especially 360Hz. The Windows mouse cursor is music to my eyes. I even see it in the Windows mouse cursor and window dragging. Perfectly spaced phantom array effect. No hint of beatfrequencying.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Oct 2020, 13:55

RLCScontender wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 11:08
Yeah, I see it too. The fainter 1-pixel-thick-league "ultrathin corona/ghosting" asymmetry between left edges and right edges, one edge is greener and the other edge is bluer. Much fainter than normal overdrive artifacts, indeed, but some people are still pretty picky about any faint asymmetry (at any Hz). Most people don't even notice this nearly as much as the magnitude of motition -- whether display-persistence symmetric blur, or asymmetric blur (ghosting/corona contribution to persistence motion blur).
RLCScontender wrote:
03 Oct 2020, 11:08
The Asus PG259QN 360hz OD normal is an unplayable overdrive setting(this is my opinion since i cannot stand unwanted artifacts)
Fair opinion -- I know many don't mind, but I know others can't stand even the faintest asymmetry (much like some are really obsessive about tearing problems or stutter problems or color problems). Everyone certainly picks up things differently, so I am glad you added the "my opinion" part and acknowledged the improved blur;

Yes, there are some huge challenges on equallizing overdrive on different-Hz panels. It's much like 240Hz panels sometimes doing a poorer job of 144Hz than the native 144Hz monitors -- until the panels improved.

In other words, this monitor is really designed to play at its full 360fps 360Hz refresh rate, for its most optmium performance -- the 360Hz panels are currently the closest to blurless sample-and-hold money can buy today in a desktop monitor (blur reduction via brute Hz, instead of using ULMB / ELMB)

360Hz is certainly going to improve further as time passes.

Personally I do not think it is unplayable even at 240Hz. Also, one can also test 240fps 240Hz non-GSYNC, versus 240fps 360Hz GSYNC, to see how the overdrive behaves a bit differently.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Oct 2020, 19:00

P.S. I feel 360Hz _really_ needs an 8000Hz mouse, big time. 1000Hz poll rate just ain't enough because harmonic jittering becomes worse as refresh rates (240...280...360...) gets closer to mouse poll rate (1000). Like two audio frequencies getting together and starting generating harmonics.

Ain't music science great (the two frequencies beat-frequencying against each other in amplified jittering).

I switch to my back to a 1000 Hz mouse and I just suddenly hold my nose as I drop it out of the way -- ick. Discordant! Erratic phantom array effect. Right now, a 1000Hz mouse on 360Hz has a worse/more jagged phantom array than 500Hz mouse on 120Hz (old 2014 image), given sufficiently fast cursor movements.

Definitely 8000 Hz mice are the way of the future for anyone using 240Hz and above, especially 360Hz. The Windows mouse cursor is music to my eyes. I even see it in the Windows mouse cursor and window dragging. Perfectly spaced phantom array effect. No hint of beatfrequencying.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 07 Oct 2020, 11:32

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 19:00

In Windows, it is hands down the worst I have ever seen in person bad.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Oct 2020, 13:36

Alpha wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 11:32
1000Hz mouse on 360Hz monitor is the worst phantom array effect you have seen?

Ha, though I think non-gaming 125Hz mice are worse.

Yeah, 360Hz(display)-vs-1000Hz(mouse) has far more visible jittering than 144Hz(display)-vs-1000Hz(mouse) -- photo proof.

canx66

Post by canx66 » 07 Oct 2020, 19:25

Its available in my country. I saved up the money but I cant buy it bc I afraid to regret the buy bc I didnt wait for the R Version with the Analyzer, which is probably coming on november (Like the MSI 360 Hz monitor with Reflex analyzer.)

I wondering if it be able to measure things like OS settings, tweaks, registry changes on and on. Or ist just measuring the Hardware wise Latency. Whats your opinion?

Sorry for my english, Iam from germany.

RLCSContender*

Post by RLCSContender* » 08 Oct 2020, 07:25

upon seeing TFT's UFO tests. That confirms that i will pass from buying this monitor

To me, there's too much inverse ghosting on OD normal and there's too much ghosting on OD OFF on their optimal refresh rate.

luckily, there are FOUR other options when it comes to 360hz monitors so i will wait until the other four gets released.

Anyway, if you enjoy this monitor, more power to ya. I'm not discouraging anyone here. Because my personal preferences as an esports professional may differ from someone who isn't. So what I find unacceptable maybe acceptable to you.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » 08 Oct 2020, 09:01

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 13:36
Alpha wrote:
07 Oct 2020, 11:32
1000Hz mouse on 360Hz monitor is the worst phantom array effect you have seen?

Ha, though I think non-gaming 125Hz mice are worse.

Yeah, 360Hz(display)-vs-1000Hz(mouse) has far more visible jittering than 144Hz(display)-vs-1000Hz(mouse) -- photo proof.
lol I wasn't aware those existed! Lowest I have ever owned (or at least old enough to recognize) I believe was 250hz and NOT on a 144hz display!!