Dual monitors (VRR + 60hz normie)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ballzley

Dual monitors (VRR + 60hz normie)

Post by ballzley » 26 Sep 2020, 21:31

Hello! I have learned everything here I needed to know to make my first VRR purchase, and couldn't be happier with the G-Sync 240hz XB273 Xbmiprzx. :D

However, I miss having a dual monitor setup on my desk. I don't have any applications that would take advantage of another XB273 Xbmiprzx - as opposed to having a normal 60hz monitor - and it would be quite an investment to buy another. But I hear mixing monitors could pose stability / stuttering / frame rate issues. The XB273 is definitely the primary monitor. If I want to run a basic second monitor (for a music player, or browser, or streaming chat, or wallpaper, or anything otherwise that doesn't need high refresh rate features) while I am playing a game on the XB273 Xbmiprzx, which kinds of basic monitors should I steer clear from? Do I need to invest in a second graphics card for a second monitor, or plug it into the motherboard HDMI? I don't want to cause any sort of interference on the primary monitor.

nimbulan

Re: Dual monitors (VRR + 60hz normie)

Post by nimbulan » 27 Sep 2020, 15:40

You're right to be concerned. Windows has had issues with running multiple displays at different refresh rates ever since the DWM was introduced with Windows Vista. This does only occur when running games in windowed mode however, fullscreen mode should not cause any problems. Thankfully though, Microsoft has been taking steps to improve the situation the past couple years. There is a new screen presentation mode in the DXGI called flip model presentation that basically eliminates the problem for games that use it. The latest Windows 10 update also significantly improves how DWM vsync is handled - it preferentially syncs the display where hardware acceleration is being used, though it's not perfect.

In any case, the type of display is irrelevant. I'm not sure if plugging a second monitor into a different graphics device would matter or not as I've never tried it.