G-Sync with Nvidia Control Panel V-SYNC vs. G-Sync with In-game V-SYNC | Blurbusters vs Battle(non)sense

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Koven

G-Sync with Nvidia Control Panel V-SYNC vs. G-Sync with In-game V-SYNC | Blurbusters vs Battle(non)sense

Post by Koven » 27 Sep 2020, 11:05

Hi,

as you know recommendations for certain settings can differ depending on the source. Same goes for Nvidia Control Panel V-SYNC vs. In-game V-SYNC settings (edit: in combination with G-Sync ON)

While on Blurbusters it says: "While NVCP V-SYNC has no input lag reduction over in-game V-SYNC, and when used with G-SYNC + FPS limit, it will never engage, some in-game V-SYNC solutions may introduce their own frame buffer or frame pacing behaviors, enable triple buffer V-SYNC automatically (not optimal for the native double buffer of G-SYNC), or simply not function at all, and, thus, NVCP V-SYNC is the safest bet.
There are rare occasions, however, where V-SYNC will only function with the in-game option enabled, so if tearing or other anomalous behavior is observed with NVCP V-SYNC (or visa-versa), each solution should be tried until said behavior is resolved."

Source: https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... ttings/14/

Chris from Battle(non)sense states in his videos that: "The V-SYNC options inside a game might also trigger other optimizations inside the game engine." Which is why he recommends to use in-game V-SYNC (edit: in combination with G-Sync ON).

Source: https://youtu.be/OAFuiBTFo5E?t=734; https://youtu.be/YR0vNs0ZdWI?t=289

My questions:
  • Are there any other methods beside looking for tearing or other anomalous behavior to know if in-game V-SYNC introduced its own frame buffer, frame pacing, triple buffer or if it's not working at all? Meaning any methods, which don't rely on eyesight solely.
  • Can anyone here backup Chris's claim about the optimizations inside game engines or link any other sources proving his claim?
Last edited by Koven on 29 Sep 2020, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

jorimt

Re: Nvidia Control Panel V-SYNC vs. In-game V-SYNC | Blurbusters vs Battle(non)sense

Post by jorimt » 27 Sep 2020, 12:56

Koven wrote:
27 Sep 2020, 11:05
This has been previously covered elsewhere, but short of testing every single G-SYNC-capable game in existence, the bottom-line is 99% of the time, it's safe to use either with G-SYNC.

I have only recommended NVCP V-SYNC over in-game V-SYNC, as it tends to always function, and there's a (1%) chance some in-game V-SYNC options won't (which will be easily evident by tearing, even within the G-SYNC range).

There's also the occasional unexpected quirks, such as in Apex Legends (don't know if it has been patched out since):
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5903&p=45157&hilit=apex#p45157

As for in-game V-SYNC solutions including optimizations, I personally haven't experienced this, but it isn't out of the question. My guess is such optimizations would be of the pre-rendered frame queue variety (primarily beneficial in GPU-bound scenarios), but even then, I'm betting the input lag benefits with properly configured G-SYNC would be minimal to none in most cases.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Nvidia Control Panel V-SYNC vs. In-game V-SYNC | Blurbusters vs Battle(non)sense

Post by RealNC » 28 Sep 2020, 07:19

Koven wrote:
hris from Battle(non)sense states in his videos that: "The V-SYNC options inside a game might also trigger other optimizations inside the game engine." Which is why he recommends to use in-game V-SYNC.
Without g-sync, sure, the in-game vsync option might do something that improves things. With g-sync, I have a hard time imagining any vsync optimization that would be of benefit to g-sync. It's more likely to be detrimental rather than beneficial, unless you run uncapped g-sync.

When using capped g-sync, the game is NOT being v-synced. That pretty much by definition means that any possible v-sync "optimizations" the game has should not be used, simply because capped g-sync = v-sync OFF. The NVCP vsync option then simply toggles the tearing prevention mechanism of g-sync for the cases where some frames sometimes come too early or too late. It does NOT run the game with vsync, and thus it doesn't make sense to use any kind of vsync optimizations.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 28 Sep 2020, 07:56

RealNC wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 07:19
Koven wrote:
hris from Battle(non)sense states in his videos that: "The V-SYNC options inside a game might also trigger other optimizations inside the game engine." Which is why he recommends to use in-game V-SYNC.
When using capped g-sync, the game is NOT being v-synced.
This is indeed an important point, and is something still misunderstood by many. With G-SYNC:
  • The V-SYNC option within the refresh rate = G-SYNC
  • The V-SYNC option outside the refresh rate = V-SYNC
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Sep 2020, 23:03

Koven wrote:
Chris from Battle(non)sense states in his videos that: "The V-SYNC options inside a game might also trigger other optimizations inside the game engine." Which is why he recommends to use in-game V-SYNC.
This is what I recommend too.

gametime-to-photontime can sometimes be more relative-time-accurate if game engine does some optimizations for VSYNC, which may for example use a fixed update frequency sync'd to Hz (for VSYNC ON technology), rather than a floating frametime (perfect for asynchronous sync tech like VSYNC OFF or G-SYNC)

It probably varies on the engine -- no effect with some, but significant effect with others.

Now, if instead of using pure VSYNC ON, you are instaed using G-SYNC + VSYNC ON, you still should usually use VSYNC OFF in-game. (VSYNC ON via Control Panel, VSYNC OFF via in-game). When you're using a framerate cap, G-SYNC + VSYNC ON (CP setting) and G-SYNC + VSYNC OFF (CP setting) usually has little to no difference (look-wise or latency-wise) except for those too-quick frametimes which will occur rarely if you are using a framerate cap.

Be careful not to conflate/confuse "VSYNC ON" (primary) versus "G-SYNC + VSYNC ON", since that's G-SYNC primary (in NV CP), VSYNC ON fallback (in NV CP), and the game is still VSYNC OFF (in-game menu). There can be a lot of confusion resulting from that, since the terminology used by Blur Busters and Battle(non)sense is different, but generally the settings recommended by Blur Busters usually agree with the settings recommended in Battle(non)Sense, though some games do really weird things and need a case-by-case setting (some older games aren't easy to coax into VRR, and other times, you may be smoothness-priority instead of latency-priority). In other words, the Right Tool For The Right Job.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Koven

Post by Koven » 29 Sep 2020, 16:11

RealNC wrote:
Without g-sync, sure, the in-game vsync option might do something that improves things. With g-sync, I have a hard time imagining any vsync optimization that would be of benefit to g-sync. It's more likely to be detrimental rather than beneficial, unless you run uncapped g-sync.

When using capped g-sync, the game is NOT being v-synced. That pretty much by definition means that any possible v-sync "optimizations" the game has should not be used, simply because capped g-sync = v-sync OFF. The NVCP vsync option then simply toggles the tearing prevention mechanism of g-sync for the cases where some frames sometimes come too early or too late. It does NOT run the game with vsync, and thus it doesn't make sense to use any kind of vsync optimizations.
Makes sense when you look at it from this perspective and therefore it would make sense to use Nvidia Control Panel's V-Sync ON option.
jorimt wrote:
28 Sep 2020, 07:56
RealNC wrote:
Koven wrote:
Chris from Battle(non)sense states in his videos that: "The V-SYNC options inside a game might also trigger other optimizations inside the game engine." Which is why he recommends to use in-game V-SYNC.
When using capped g-sync, the game is NOT being v-synced.
This is indeed an important point, and is something still misunderstood by many. With G-SYNC:
  • The V-SYNC option within the refresh rate = G-SYNC
  • The V-SYNC option outside the refresh rate = V-SYNC
Yeah I totally forgot to make that clear in my first post. I meant V-Sync in combination with G-Sync (within the refresh rate).