BenQ Zowie XL2546K 240hz TN

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
axaro1

Re: BenQ Zowie XL2546K 240hz TN

Post by axaro1 » 24 Oct 2020, 02:42

detto_o wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 14:37
This is my XL2546K.

https://youtu.be/mehHYJbQ94g

Thoughts?
It looks great!

Can I ask you how's the crosstalk on top/bottom part of the screen?
I even wonder how good is non-strobed mode considering that the average G2G is 1.1ms, which is impressive and should probably reduce ghosting even further.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

detto_o

Post by detto_o » 24 Oct 2020, 03:45

These are the top 3 aliens:

And here are the bottom 3 aliens:

The best are of the ones in the middle:

I played around a bit with total vertical in the nvidida driver, and the highes I can go is 1252. At 120Hz the results are bad so I compared 180, 200 and 240 Hz. And they don‘t really show much differences, so I even might stick to 240 Hz.

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 24 Oct 2020, 10:19

Single Strobe range is unlocked ? The XL2746S can't single strobe under 100Hz, so 60FPS locked games and 60p video streams with DyAc+ show double image (double strobe).

Good strobed motion, with good brightness, but still crosstalk. This panel is very fast, but even with last generation TN, response time it's not enought for enjoy artifact free motion, it's fustrating. I use LCD mainly, but still have one old 21" CRT and motion is almost perfect. I search a new LCD/OLED/MicroLED monitor with the same motion smothness, but seems impossible mission.

For young people that never have play with one good CRT, see this amazing review from ApertureGrille, https://youtu.be/Ya3c1Ni4B_U?t=976

BlurBusters Ufo Test is almost perfect, and this quality is over all frequencies of the range from 50 to 170Hz, at any custom resolution. Only a small trail caused by phosphor decay (light to dark colors) destroy the perfection, but can be solved manufacturing CRT with more short phosphor decay. Response time is allways rock solid under 0.5ms, in all GtG transitions, except when phosphor decay time override it. Signal lag 0ms, in CRT the monitor lag is only the refreshrate, time betwhen frames. Black level, Contrast, and viewing angles is much higher than TN.

This amazing motion quality exist, but sadly today is not manufactured. Imagine how would it be today a evolved high end FHD 240+Hz eSports CRT/FED/SED monitor ! Kill completely impulse displays is a big mistake for gaming, especialy for fast paced games. Should be both technologies here, and player choice, at least until flat panels can equal CRT in all specs.

Moreover, if the implused eSport monitor can have VRR, we can have tearing free and low lag when framerate drop, and motion blur free, at the same time !

Yes, i'm dreaming, seems we will never see it. Hope at least BenQ/Zowie manufacture soon one high end monitor with OLED panel, this change would be revolutionary. JOLED is ready to manufacture monitor OLED panels, and eSports monitors need get OLED <0.5ms GtG speed, much faster than any LCD. Maybe expensive, but a true jump in quality, and with rolling scan, and subpixel local dimming, bye-bye crosstalk. It's a must be. Please BenQ, do it !!

detto_o

Post by detto_o » 24 Oct 2020, 15:15

CRT will always be king, we can only get close to it. At least that's my current view on this topic.
But for my current setup it might just be the best one, or is there any other monitor with better strobed motion than this XL2546K?

My S2417DG is very nice and I prefer its 1440p resolution heavily over 1080p, but the ULMB on the Dell has more trailing behind it than the BenQ.

All I want is a 1440p 16:9 monitor with at least the same strobing motion quality as this 2546K.

TwentyFoe

Post by TwentyFoe » 24 Oct 2020, 18:34

AddictFPS wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 10:19
Please BenQ, do it !!
BenQ representatives aren't going to see your message here. Your best bet would be making a new post at r/Zowie or r/Monitors and tagging u/ZOWIE_Support along in the post, or by messaging them directly. As you can see, they are very active!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Oct 2020, 20:37

detto_o wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 15:15
CRT will always be king, we can only get close to it. At least that's my current view on this topic.
But for my current setup it might just be the best one, or is there any other monitor with better strobed motion than this XL2546K?

My S2417DG is very nice and I prefer its 1440p resolution heavily over 1080p, but the ULMB on the Dell has more trailing behind it than the BenQ.

All I want is a 1440p 16:9 monitor with at least the same strobing motion quality as this 2546K.
I've seen much better than this.

Please read this:
CRT Nirvana Guide for DIsappointed CRT-to-LCD Upgraders

Why not use IPS strobing and use lower refresh rate strobing to get massive better strobed color quality than XL2546K? Unless you're doing esports and prefer lower-lag strobing? Are you currently lag-priority or strobe-quality-priority?

XL2546 series is one of the best 240Hz strobers, but if you don't care about latency or refresh rate, and want to mimic a 120Hz CRT, there are better options nowadays. It's easier to find LCDs more perfectly matching a 120Hz CRT because of the refreshrate-headroom trick ("Get max Hz you can afford, then strobe at the lowest possible Hz on it, to get the most CRT-quality strobing money can buy"). My ViewSonic XG270 (240Hz IPS) at 120Hz has less crosstalk than BenQ at 240Hz; refreshrate headroom can erase strobe crosstalk. You can get less motion blur at 120Hz than non-strobed 240Hz, and it's easier to get closer to CRT colors & CRT zero-crosstalk at 120Hz on an ultra-high-Hz "1ms IPS" panel (240Hz-360Hz IPS panels can have ultralow strobe crosstalk at 120Hz, while having better colors).

If you're strobe-quality-priority (instead of lag-priority), you may be prioritizing wrong;
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 25 Oct 2020, 06:58

detto_o wrote:
24 Oct 2020, 15:15
If your main goal is get the lowest lag strobing, DyAc+ 182-240Hz seems the best today. But strobing under this range, in order to try minimize crosstalk trading input lag, overdrive artifacts appears, due these monitors not have dinamic overdrive, nor a fine tune overdrive setting, just Off-High-Premium. High is to much for 100-125Hz range, and Off is to slow. I can't understand why a eSports monitor not have 100 levels of overdrive. Temperature and panel lottery make changes that need this fine tune to get the best in all units, temps and freq. Temp sensor and dinamic overdrive 100+ levels is a must be on XL series, beside full single strobe unlocked range 50-240, to enjoy also 60FPS locked games like in XL2411p.

The most close with 1440p seems AOC AG273QZ, someone has this monitor ? AU Optronics 27" flat TN 1440p240 with unlocked single strobing 85-240Hz. Review at TFTCentral. I doubt it have the same crosstalk/brightness ratio at 182-240Hz, high brightness strobing with decent crosstalk at high frequency, is a feature that seems only DyAc+ offer today. DyAc+ seems like a very high brightness strobing backlight spikes, above others monitors. But with AG273QZ with low room light, and short strobe lenght = low brightness, maybe is interesting at 100-125Hz range. XG270 need this also in order to get close to CRT motion. And waiting +1000 nits panels in future models to fix this issue.

There is no talk about AG273QZ on this forum, but maybe is a good balance resolution/speed, specialy strobing with short strobe lenght, due to this monitor has dinamic overdrive, at recommended OD setting, is tuned to never show overdrive artifacts, frecuency independent. Maybe brightness is low, but 0% OD artifats + 240Hz scanout + short strobe lenght = seems a good base to see interesting results.

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 25 Oct 2020, 09:00

OLED is not a joke, we need it. Look at this deep review of TV LG OLED CX 48" with BFI On, BlurBusters Ufo test is amazing ! :shock: and this is at only 120Hz ! Imagine OLED 4K panels like this at 32 27 24" sizes, working also at 1080 native with integer scaling lagless (microsecond), tuned by BlurBusters ;)

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_cx_oled.htm#mbr

This TV with BFI high work internally at 240Hz, MPRT 4.16ms, seems low compared to LCD, but is artifacts free, none overdrive artifact nor crosstalk, due to this and extremely low response time, show this good result, clear.

This is only to show motion smoothness, can't be used for eSports due to size and high input lag, but one OLED panel designed exclusively for eSports with input lag the first priority, is the way to go in the short term for high end eSports, until MicroLED are available.

Chief, you think OLED is good for eSports ? If yes, can you please talk with manufacturers requesting OLED ? Sure you get much more attention than me or any other unknown.

Meowchan

Post by Meowchan » 25 Oct 2020, 12:36

OLED should be fantastic for esports, if you don't mind buying a new ~$1k monitor every 3 months due to burn in. That will be the case until we get an alternative technological solution.

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 26 Oct 2020, 11:05

Meowchan wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 12:36
OLED should be fantastic for esports, if you don't mind buying a new ~$1k monitor every 3 months due to burn in. That will be the case until we get an alternative technological solution.
Yes, burn in is the weak point, very worrying. But 3 months sound very exagerated. People play PC and console games with LG OLED TV and is not bricked in 3 months. In this forum there are people like Jorimt with LG CX 48" since release (memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2920), and i not see they talking about very fast degradations, refunds, RMA. But brightness is limited by LG to avoid it (ABL). 120 nits at 4K 120Hz BFI High, not bad, is the goal during monitor calibration, a decent start.

You can see more info in Rtings.com OLED bur in test. Is needed much time of long static + high brightness to seriously burn in panel. Mobile gaming and VR gaming headsets also enjoy OLED contrast and response time, at least they have LCD and OLED versions, and people can choice.

eSports market deserves at least a try. If not worth it, we can return to LCD. OLED is in constant research, LG, JOLED, and now Samsung also. Today BlurBusters web announce Samsung OLED 10,000 dpi screens. This technology is far from its limits for sure.

Goal is MicroLED. Samsung, LG, Apple, +much others research. Specs > OLED, non organic LED, burn in should be like LCD. This is what eSports monitor need, but its not ready.