Should I expect ghosting/blurring on an Acer Nitro IPS XV240Y?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ModernLeper

Should I expect ghosting/blurring on an Acer Nitro IPS XV240Y?

Post by ModernLeper » 20 Oct 2020, 10:04

I play FPS games at a fairly competitive level, currently on an Xbox One S but am moving to the Series S. It supports 1440p but I mainly play Destiny 2 which will only be 1080p and 60 FPS, so I only want a 1080p monitor. The extra Hz will be nice for whenever I start playing other games again.

I was about to buy a TN monitor (ViewSonic XG2402 or VX2458-MHD, or AOC G2590FX, or Asus VG248QG) but am having second thoughts after reading about the better colours on an IPS. But I don't want to give up the fast response time of a TN monitor, so I thought this Acer Nitro XV240Y (23.8" FHD 165Hz 2ms GTG IPS LED FreeSync) might be a good compromise. I expect slightly slower response times but doubt I could actually tell the difference.

HOWEVER, I am very afraid of motion blur and ghosting. The monitor has Acer's VRB technology which supposedly "creates the effect of 1ms VRB, giving your screen less blur for crystal clear gameplay." One spec sheet claims it has a Grey-to-Grey Response Time of 2 ms, so is that with VRB turned off? From what I've seen it seems like activating VRB and/or overdrive might detract from some of the other specs. I'm pretty new at this so it's gotten really confusing. There aren't a lot of reviews out there.

Basically I just want to know if I will be able to set this monitor up to give me fast response times similar to a TN panel, while also providing the colour benefits of IPS (don't care about viewing angles), without producing more ghosting and motion blur than a similarly-priced TN. All while mostly playing a 60 FPS game on the Xbox Series S.

Thank you so much for any advice!