Cheapest 1440p display with constant strobing brightness (at least 200 nits), where strobing is linked to framerate?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Cheapest 1440p display with constant strobing brightness (at least 200 nits), where strobing is linked to framerate?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Oct 2020, 14:21

All monitors dim to an extent when strobing, but if you use DyAc-branded voltage boosting, they are less likely to dim nearly as much. If brightness is a problem, get something DyAc-branded from BenQ.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Randomoneh

Re: Cheapest 1440p display with constant strobing brightness (at least 200 nits), where strobing is linked to framerate?

Post by Randomoneh » 28 Oct 2020, 14:42

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 14:21
All monitors dim to an extent when strobing, but if you use DyAc-branded voltage boosting, they are less likely to dim nearly as much. If brightness is a problem, get something DyAc-branded from BenQ.
My bad, I thought XL2411p was DyAc branded.
XL2411k apparently is DyAc branded yet this video (https://youtu.be/eW1O9xmuuYE) at 2:35 seems to show brightness reduction with DyAc? I wonder what's up with that. And what's Viewsonic's version of voltage-boosted strobe called?

edit: I just found out that even though XL2411K is "DyAc" branded, its brightness is lowered while strobing:
Last edited by Randomoneh on 28 Oct 2020, 22:57, edited 3 times in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Oct 2020, 18:51

Voltage boosted does not completely eliminate brightness reduction of strobing. For example, it might drop from 400 to 100 without DyAc, but drop from 400 to 300 with DyAc. Or something like that. Basically, the size of the brightness loss will generally be smaller with the DyAc-branded ones.

Have you ever used a strobe backlight mode on any model of any computer monitor?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh » 28 Oct 2020, 22:52

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 18:51
Have you ever used a strobe backlight mode on any model of any computer monitor?
I've used CRTs up to 2000 and some year. Much later I've tried BFI on 2018 Samsung TV and an Acer (I believe) gaming monitor. In both cases it resulted in significant dimming.

Unfortunately, this is what BenQ says about "DyAC" on new XL2411K:
Due to the XL2411K design limitations of the panel, the brightness of the XL2411K will be reduced when DyAc is switched on
Welp, there's that. No gaming the system and getting both good motion clarity and brightness for less than $520 locally. Do you know what Viewsonic brands their voltage-boosted strobe backlight models?