Pixel inversion on Va?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
leonman44

Pixel inversion on Va?

Post by leonman44 » 28 Oct 2020, 11:54

Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask if pixel inversion is possible on VA monitors? I have seen them all over on TN models but i dont know if thats normal for Va as well.

Thank you.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Pixel inversion on Va?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Oct 2020, 14:19

Be careful not toconfuse normally-invisible pixel inversion algorithms (necessary for LCDs) with the visible artifacts, inversion artifacts.

Yes, VA panels are prone to artifacts, but are less commonly visible. However, Lagom Pixel Walk tests can produce different-looking inversion artifacts than TN.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

leonman44

Post by leonman44 » 28 Oct 2020, 15:17

I get those tightly-spaced vertical lines within games , so i assume that these are inversion artifacts , just like fast 240hz tn panels and more likely the pg258q which i tried in the past.
On this panel they are visible at 30-110fps after that they get fainter at 120 and starts to disappear once i hit 130+fps (the panel can hit 200hz).

While i dont move the camera or the character itself those lines completely disappear no matter what the framerate.

Gsync on/off does not make a difference , as also does not if i set the panel to run on different frequency , even tried to run the display with an hdmi with the same results.

And just wanted to ask if thats a normal behavior for Va as well and don't just pointlessly rma.

Thank for your help!

overaller

Post by overaller » 30 Nov 2020, 15:23

leonman44 wrote:
28 Oct 2020, 15:17
And just wanted to ask if thats a normal behavior for Va as well and don't just pointlessly rma.
It depends on the display model and panel in my experience. With one model all monitors have inversion patterns. With another model some do and some do less or none. It depends.
If you don't find too many threads about your interference pattern on this model online and if the patterns are easily visible (Try asking a not too tech-savy relative if they see it without explaining it too in-depth prior, just tell them where to look at) I'd say it is worth trying refunding or rma.