I'm absolutely desperate for some help fixing my PC issue which has spanned multiple PCs

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
kryztripleb

Re: I'm absolutely desperate for some help fixing my PC issue which has spanned multiple PCs

Post by kryztripleb » 17 Nov 2020, 03:44

jorimt wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 15:30
Yuiiski wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 12:33
I got an Xbox Series X two days ago, I have some games that run awfully on my PC but run perfectly on the Series X, The Witcher 3 on my PC suffers from constant stutters and frame drops even at low settings, the game runs flawlessly on the Series X, its capped at 60fps but there isn't a single stutter or frame drop whereas I would get those issues on PC with a 60fps lock. Same goes for games like Battlefield V, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Gears 5, Bright Memory, all these games run fine on my Xbox Series X but perform insanely bad on my PC, which leads me to believe that it likely isn't an "EMI" issue or anything to do with interference because of that was the case, I would imagine that the Series X would be getting the same issues. I suppose at this rate I should just stick with my Xbox Series X, its a shame that I have to downgrade but I would much prefer a solid 60fps then what I get on PC.
Is The Witcher 3 running off the Series X's internal SSD? If so, it's possible the way Microsoft handles backwards compatibility includes the asset streaming performance improvements from the Xbox's insanely fast SSD performance (which also heavily reduces load times in Series X games).

Because I can tell you games such as The Witcher 3 absolutely had notable stutter and frame drops on the original console.

I have the same issues on all my PC's, PS4's, etc. I bought a PS5 and it runs super smooth for now, although sometimes new hardware can work fine for a bit, but the problem will come back.

htalloush

Re: I'm absolutely desperate for some help fixing my PC issue which has spanned multiple PCs

Post by htalloush » 26 Nov 2020, 12:12

My brother had a similar issue, with intermittent complete computer freezing randomly, these were obvious 1 second lasting macro stutters, turns out it was his new 970 evo plus he bought, it might have been a case of thermal throttling and not hardware's fault but then he cloned the same OS to a new Adata sx8200 pro NVMe drive and it fixed it,

OP, check your airflow, if that is ok replace your drive and/or try it or another SSD using SATA instead of NVMe.

Yuiiski

Post by Yuiiski » 05 Jan 2021, 13:24

htalloush wrote:
26 Nov 2020, 12:12
My brother had a similar issue, with intermittent complete computer freezing randomly, these were obvious 1 second lasting macro stutters, turns out it was his new 970 evo plus he bought, it might have been a case of thermal throttling and not hardware's fault but then he cloned the same OS to a new Adata sx8200 pro NVMe drive and it fixed it,

OP, check your airflow, if that is ok replace your drive and/or try it or another SSD using SATA instead of NVMe.
My parts are fine, everything has been replaced multiple times, including the SDD.

StareX

Post by StareX » 05 Jan 2021, 16:37

Hey,

So did you enable the XMP profile and OC the CPU to 5GHz, disabling all power saving features?

I can walk you through the settings that are unneeded, sometimes these can slow down the CPU despite the readings.

Also have you tried the msi mode, affinity tool methods? And removing some unessential Intel drivers from Device Manager?
These can cause stutters aka the 0.1 percents and 1 percents and high latency.

I think we can fix your issue, and I think I can help you with that.

oneils

Post by oneils » 06 Jan 2021, 10:37

Were all of these machines plugged into the same electrical outlet? If so, does your surge protector have a notification on it to tell you if the power is grounded or not? After years of issues with my setup, i finally noticed that my outlet wasn't properly grounded and switched to another one and things worked a lot better.

Dunno, worth a shot.

Yuiiski

Post by Yuiiski » 17 Sep 2021, 22:33

oneils wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 10:37
Were all of these machines plugged into the same electrical outlet? If so, does your surge protector have a notification on it to tell you if the power is grounded or not? After years of issues with my setup, i finally noticed that my outlet wasn't properly grounded and switched to another one and things worked a lot better.

Dunno, worth a shot.
I can now confirm that it's 100% an electrical issue, I got a brand new PC the other day, I got it pre-built just to be on the safe side that I wasn't messing up during the building process. I took it to another house first and played it all day with zero issues. I then took it back to my house, plugged it in, loaded up a game, and boom, constant stuttering just like the PC before, tested multiple games and the stuttering was present in all games again. I took the PC back to my friend's house the following day and the stuttering remained....

So basically, plugging any PC into my house instantly ruins it. I have no idea what would cause this but it sucks.

nuk_won

Post by nuk_won » 28 Oct 2021, 19:14

hey did u ever find a fix? i have the exact same problem same stutter. i think i dhould buy double conversion ups that that could fix the problem have u tried it?

KiwiOlive

Post by KiwiOlive » 31 Oct 2021, 08:38

That's the craziest PC trouble shooting thread I have ever read!

I feel really sorry for you OP, I hope you can get this somehow solved one day.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Oct 2021, 12:24

Yuiiski wrote:
17 Sep 2021, 22:33
I can now confirm that it's 100% an electrical issue, I got a brand new PC the other day, I got it pre-built just to be on the safe side that I wasn't messing up during the building process. I took it to another house first and played it all day with zero issues. I then took it back to my house, plugged it in, loaded up a game, and boom, constant stuttering just like the PC before, tested multiple games and the stuttering was present in all games again. I took the PC back to my friend's house the following day and the stuttering remained....

So basically, plugging any PC into my house instantly ruins it. I have no idea what would cause this but it sucks.
Hey, I am glad you made a little progress but…

I am not quite convinced it’s electrical wiring yet. Most TRUE electrical wiring issues would be issues that disappear/reappear when moving back and fourth (without touching any settings).

Things like an over-the-Internet update can ruin things. And also, Windows often runs a lot of background activity (housekeeping tasks) for the first hour after a computer is powered up.

You need additional troubleshooting before a non-mechanical (e.g. loose connector) electrical issue is 100% confirmed. I’m not yet convinced. The majority of minor 100%-non-mechanical electrically-influenced lag/stutter issues are usually ephemeral/temporary.

It’s possible, but every time I retested something that “sticks”, I traced it to other thing than external EMI. An example is transportation vibrations creating loose contact with thermal paste/fans that created thermal throttling that added stutters. Even mouse DPI and pollrate change, going too high or plugging mouse into a different USB port can add stutters. Also, loose PCIe cards also generate error correcrion storms that add stutters. And also to hidden background/updates. There’s a lot of odd things that can go wrong. Even RGB system utils (that updated an .01 version) had added stutters.

Externally-influenced electrical issues such as EMI, while real, are often wild goose chases to red herrings. To be 100% confirmed, needs multiple elements of proof since electrical is a hard-to-trace category of issues.

Or super-strong proof of such as eliminating all other variables (no movement, exact same USB cables into same USB ports, no software updates, no Internet), such as alternating plug between mains and a UPS (that lasts long enough to do the offgrid test without moving the computer). A super sized 8-hour UPS in the form of “Lithium Power Stations” can last a full day of offgrid computing, if need be. Certain things like spread spectrum settings in BIOS (or 3rd party utilities that modifies hidden BIOS settings) may also be a supplement. But, that’s only if you definitively confirmed your electrical wiring is causing the issues. But these things generally do not instantly “stick” unless something became slightly loose such as during a computer move. Reseating may increase/decrease error correction related stuttering that occurs in offline play that still occurs even on clean/offgrid/etc, so YMMV. There is now a new semi-hidden EMI forum here for these kinds of troubleshooting.

Another test is reseat everything, reset your BIOS to factory, and a fresh Windows install. Try imaging your disk for a good Windows install, for a quick rewind & restore of a known good install, without the hassle of reinstalling Windows.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Jcb21

Post by Jcb21 » 26 Dec 2021, 18:00

Hey OP!
I’m experiencing something very similar. Did you manage to find a solution or reason for this?