I'm absolutely desperate for some help fixing my PC issue which has spanned multiple PCs

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
BorrowedPlane

Re: I'm absolutely desperate for some help fixing my PC issue which has spanned multiple PCs

Post by BorrowedPlane » 29 Oct 2020, 23:00

Exactly the same problem here, 3 different builds, exact same problem.
Also, there is no secret service or setting that solves stutters beyond 50ms, either you have them or dont.

howiec

Re: I'm absolutely desperate for some help fixing my PC issue which has spanned multiple PCs

Post by howiec » 30 Oct 2020, 04:37

Yuiiski wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 22:55
howiec wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 20:16
Yuiiski wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 19:21
Nothing honestly, I have been trying to fix it for almost four whole years now and can't think of anything left to try... I'm out of options and it makes absolutely no sense.
I'll ask again, which NVME driver are you using?
Worth checking.
According to device manager, the driver version for my NVME is version "10.0.19041.1".
That's your disk drive driver.

I'm talking about under "Storage controllers".

E.g. I have:
MS Storage Spaces Controller
Standard NVME Controller
Standard NVME Controller

What are listed in yours?

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 30 Oct 2020, 06:55

Just to be sure as i'm curious: i assume you already tried my suggestions (on the first page) with no result, right?

Also, have you ever tried an AMD GPU? could you find one (from a friend)?

And (although i think this has nothing to do, but just to try to find "unseen" problems), do you have a lot of wireless devices arround or do you have WIFI antenas on your PC-motherboard?

Yuiiski

Post by Yuiiski » 30 Oct 2020, 07:00

howiec wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 04:37
Yuiiski wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 22:55
howiec wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 20:16
Yuiiski wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 19:21
Nothing honestly, I have been trying to fix it for almost four whole years now and can't think of anything left to try... I'm out of options and it makes absolutely no sense.
I'll ask again, which NVME driver are you using?
Worth checking.
According to device manager, the driver version for my NVME is version "10.0.19041.1".
That's your disk drive driver.

I'm talking about under "Storage controllers".

E.g. I have:
MS Storage Spaces Controller
Standard NVME Controller
Standard NVME Controller

What are listed in yours?
Mine says "Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller"

and

"Standard NVM Express Controller"

Yuiiski

Post by Yuiiski » 30 Oct 2020, 07:09

I just reinstalled Windows 10 again, completely reset everything, first thing I did was loaded up a simple game like Minecraft and the stuttering and frame drops happened, which means its 100% not a software issue either because I have nothing installed except for Minecraft at this point.

howiec

Post by howiec » 30 Oct 2020, 07:34

Yuiiski wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 07:09
I just reinstalled Windows 10 again, completely reset everything, first thing I did was loaded up a simple game like Minecraft and the stuttering and frame drops happened, which means its 100% not a software issue either because I have nothing installed except for Minecraft at this point.
Having the same issue occur across 3 completely different PCs with fresh installs (literally no drivers except maybe NIC for internet) is bizarre and potentially points at something else going on...

Do you have access to someone else's PC that has zero stutter issues which you can test at your location?

Yuiiski

Post by Yuiiski » 30 Oct 2020, 07:50

howiec wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 07:34
Yuiiski wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 07:09
Having the same issue occur across 3 completely different PCs with fresh installs (literally no drivers except maybe NIC for internet) is bizarre and potentially points at something else going on...

Do you have access to someone else's PC that has zero stutter issues which you can test at your location?
Sadly not, I don't know anyone that games on a PC sadly.

Put just take a look at this madness, I just installed Watch Dogs Legion, its a pretty demanding game so I am only getting like 50fps but just look at the frametime, its all over the place, I am getting a steady 50fps but because the frametime being all over the place the game feels more like 2fps, its nuts, I have no idea what is causing it, the parts are fine, at this rate I will probably just get an Xbox Series X or PS5 and be done with it all.

https://i.imgur.com/KkAlNJR.png

howiec

Post by howiec » 30 Oct 2020, 08:23

I noticed your CPU clocks are fluctuating a lot which is a bit strange if loads are constantly high.

Can you disable:
  • HT
  • EIST / SpeedStep
  • Speed Shift
  • All C-states
Leave Turbo Mode enabled.

Although all the above shouldn't be the sole cause of those horrendous frametime spikes, I would still force a constant clock speed to begin with.

Yuiiski

Post by Yuiiski » 30 Oct 2020, 08:30

howiec wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 08:23
I noticed your CPU clocks are fluctuating a lot which is a bit strange if loads are constantly high.

Can you disable:
  • HT
  • EIST / SpeedStep
  • Speed Shift
  • All C-states
Leave Turbo Mode enabled.

Although all the above shouldn't be the sole cause of those horrendous frametime spikes, I would still force a constant clock speed to begin with.
Yeah, that is because I forgot to turn my power plan from "Balanced" to "High Performance" after reinstalling Windows, after doing that my CPU Clock is staying at 4700MHz in game. But yeah, it doesn't make a difference anyway, I still get the terrible performance either way.

Also, I just tried turning off those things you mentioned for shits and giggles and it didn't do anything sadly.

howiec

Post by howiec » 30 Oct 2020, 08:42

Yuiiski wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 07:50
howiec wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 07:34
Sadly not, I don't know anyone that games on a PC sadly.
That's too bad because if it's truly hardware related you could swap parts between the "known good PC" to isolate the component (incl. the SSD if contents are backed up prior to formatting).

Still doesn't make sense to me why you'd have the same issue across 3 completely different PCs unless there's:
  • an external factor
  • some sort of configuration issue that's being applied to all systems
  • a virus/rootkit which frequently consumes resources that's apparently been present across all 3 systems...
To try and rule out the "external factor" you could take your entire PC setup to another location to test, although you can't be sure it's likely ruled out unless you have a "known good PC" working fine at that new location too.