I'm absolutely desperate for some help fixing my PC issue which has spanned multiple PCs

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Yuiiski

Re: I'm absolutely desperate for some help fixing my PC issue which has spanned multiple PCs

Post by Yuiiski » 29 Oct 2020, 17:46

howiec wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 17:44
Yuiiski wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 17:18
I shall get back to answering you all, I just wanted to share this quickly, its only four games but if you take a look you'll notice how unstable the frametime is at the bottom, which has a result causes the game to basically stutter and just feel pretty horrible at all times.
Yeah, that's pretty bad...
Just for the heck of it, try disabling HT although I highly doubt that's causing this specific issue.
"HT"? Do you mean hyper-threading? If so, I have tried that too.

jorimt

Re: I'm absolutely desperate for some help fixing my PC issue which has spanned multiple PCs

Post by jorimt » 29 Oct 2020, 17:59

Yuiiski wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 17:27
I should also add that this issue would still happen after a new fresh install of the OS, meaning it would happen before I had even installed anything other than the OS.
That basically rules almost everything out then. Only think I can think if it's still happening with a clean OS install (no other extraneous programs), is perhaps an OS-level setting.

The Xbox Game Bar has been know to cause stutter, so you could try disabling that if you haven't already (slim chance if nil for a fix though).

The "issue" you are referring to are those several second pauses depicted in your videos, correct? Because beyond those, seeing < 0.5 second stutter here and there is expected, as are some of the halts and pauses during loading screens, since the hard drive is being thrashed for data.

Do you regularly have video capture software running, or was that just to record the issue? And either way, the "issue" is the same regardless whether you're recording or not, correct? Also, do you usually run Afterburner? And if so, what's your polling period in the setting? You don't want it lower than default (can cause spikes).

Anyway, going by how many factors you've verbally eliminated here, it would be difficult to continue troubleshooting remotely like this.

Have you tried monitoring with LatencyMon?
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Yuiiski

Post by Yuiiski » 29 Oct 2020, 18:03

jorimt wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 17:59
Yuiiski wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 17:27
I should also add that this issue would still happen after a new fresh install of the OS, meaning it would happen before I had even installed anything other than the OS.
That basically rules everything out then. Only think I can think if it's still happening with a clean OS install (no other extraneous programs), is perhaps an OS-level setting.

The Xbox Game Bar has been know to cause stutter, so you could try disabling that if you haven't already (slim chance if nil for a fix though).

The "issue" you are referring to are those several second pauses depicted in your videos, correct? Because beyond those, seeing < 0.5 second stutter here and there is expected, as are some of the halts and pauses during loading screens, since the hard drive is being thrashed for data.

Do you regularly have video capture software running, or was that just to record the issue? And either way, the "issue" is the same regardless whether you're recording or not, correct?

Anyway, going by how many factors you've verbally eliminated here, it would be difficult to continue troubleshooting remotely like this.

I tried it with Windows 7 and Windows 8, still did it. Also, I have the Game Bar turned off. Also, I don't see how performance like that is "expected", its god awful, I get better performance out of my Xbox then I do out of my £2000+ PC, makes no sense. And no, I always have recording software turned off unless I am recording of course, but it does it no matter what.

And according to MSI Afterburner my frametime usually always reaches way over 300ms somehow, in every single game which results in terrible drops and stutter and just overall sluggish performance, I wouldn't really consider that "expected" performance out of a high end build.

Yuiiski

Post by Yuiiski » 29 Oct 2020, 18:17

This isn't normal, every single game. I am sick of it. Doesn't matter what game it is, could be the most basic game in the world, it still does it. Just look how high the frametime reached, its nuts.

https://i.imgur.com/mR7rQ5g.png

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 29 Oct 2020, 18:23

Yuiiski wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 18:03
I tried it with Windows 7 and Windows 8, still did it. Also, I have the Game Bar turned off. Also, I don't see how performance like that is "expected", its god awful, I get better performance out of my Xbox then I do out of my £2000+ PC, makes no sense. And no, I always have recording software turned off unless I am recording of course, but it does it no matter what.

And according to MSI Afterburner my frametime usually always reaches way over 300ms somehow, in every single game which results in terrible drops and stutter and just overall sluggish performance, I wouldn't really consider that "expected" performance out of a high end build.
I did not say spikes that last several seconds at a time were "expected," I said occasional < 0.5 second spikes and halts during loading screens were "expected."

The average "expected" frametime spike is around the 50ms or under mark, sometimes 100ms or under at the high-end (not counting initial game load up or loading screens).

That said, you can't eliminate all frametime spikes, period. You can however usually eliminate the ones that last a second or more, but you keep ruling everything out, and we're all literally blind here; we can only go by what you report, and going by your replies, we've run out of most of the obvious or plausible causes in a very short amount of messages.
Yuiiski wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 18:17
This isn't normal, every single game. I am sick of it. Doesn't matter what game it is, could be the most basic game in the world, it still does it. Just look how high the frametime reached, its nuts.
I didn't say that was normal.

As I said, try LatencyMon. It will report problem processes while you're running a game.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Yuiiski

Post by Yuiiski » 29 Oct 2020, 18:27

jorimt wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 18:23
Yuiiski wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 18:03

I did not say spikes that last several seconds at a time were "expected," I said occasional < 0.5 second spikes and halts during loading screens were "expected."

The average "expected" frametime spike is around the 50ms or under mark, sometimes 100ms or under at the high-end (not counting initial game load up or loading screens).

That said, you can't eliminate all frametime spikes, period. You can however usually eliminate the ones that last a second or more, but you keep ruling everything out, and we're all literally blind here; we can only go by what you report, and going by your replies, we've run out of most of the obvious or plausible causes in a very short amount of messages.
Yuiiski wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 18:17
I didn't say that was normal.

As I said, try LatencyMon. It will report problem processes while you're running a game.
I have also tried LatencyMon and rarely ever finds anything, when it does find something it's usually Nvidia kernel?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 29 Oct 2020, 18:36

Yuiiski wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 18:27
I have also tried LatencyMon and rarely ever finds anything, when it does find something it's usually Nvidia kernel?
The Nvidia process usually reads as one of the highest, but there's typically not much you can do about that one.

So, according to this thread, we've ruled out physical PC location, all system components, connected peripherals, you're internet service (as it apparently happens offline as well), and background processes.

What's left?

Yuiiski

Post by Yuiiski » 29 Oct 2020, 19:21

jorimt wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 18:36
Yuiiski wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 18:27
The Nvidia process usually reads as one of the highest, but there's typically not much you can do about that one.

So, according to this thread, we've ruled out physical PC location, all system components, connected peripherals, you're internet service (as it apparently happens offline as well), and background processes.

What's left?
Nothing honestly, I have been trying to fix it for almost four whole years now and can't think of anything left to try... I'm out of options and it makes absolutely no sense.

Thanks for trying to help though.

howiec

Post by howiec » 29 Oct 2020, 20:16

Yuiiski wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 19:21
Nothing honestly, I have been trying to fix it for almost four whole years now and can't think of anything left to try... I'm out of options and it makes absolutely no sense.
I'll ask again, which NVME driver are you using?
Worth checking.

Yuiiski

Post by Yuiiski » 29 Oct 2020, 22:55

howiec wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 20:16
Yuiiski wrote:
29 Oct 2020, 19:21
I'll ask again, which NVME driver are you using?
Worth checking.
According to device manager, the driver version for my NVME is version "10.0.19041.1".