I'm absolutely desperate for some help fixing my PC issue which has spanned multiple PCs

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Yuiiski

Re: I'm absolutely desperate for some help fixing my PC issue which has spanned multiple PCs

Post by Yuiiski » 30 Oct 2020, 08:46

howiec wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 08:42
Yuiiski wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 07:50
howiec wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 07:34
Do you have access to someone else's PC that has zero stutter issues which you can test at your location?
Sadly not, I don't know anyone that games on a PC sadly.
That's too bad because if it's truly hardware related you could swap parts between the "known good PC" to isolate the component (incl. the SSD if contents are backed up prior to formatting).

Still doesn't make sense to me why you'd have the same issue across 3 completely different PCs unless there's:
  • an external factor
  • some sort of configuration issue that's being applied to all systems
  • a virus/rootkit which frequently consumes resources that's apparently been present across all 3 systems...
To try and rule out the "external factor" you could take your entire PC setup to another location to test, although you can't be sure it's likely ruled out unless you have a "known good PC" working fine at that new location too.
Its 100% not the PC causing it, I will not believe for a second that I have somehow got three completely different PC's with the exact same problem, I don't think its possible. I have also already taken it to another location, didn't help. Honestly, I am at the point where I just can't be bothered anymore, almost four years of troubleshooting all for nothing, thousands of pounds down the drain, all for nothing. I am just going to call it quits and move back to console, I guess PC gaming wasn't meant to be for me. T-T

The only possible thing I can think of is that somehow the wiring at my house somehow damaged my PC, I am desperate so will assume that is the reason and be done with it because if its not the PC itself causing it, it has to be something to do with the wiring in my house, or some sort of interference.

howiec

Re: I'm absolutely desperate for some help fixing my PC issue which has spanned multiple PCs

Post by howiec » 30 Oct 2020, 08:55

Yuiiski wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 08:46
howiec wrote:
Yuiiski wrote:
howiec wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 07:34
Do you have access to someone else's PC that has zero stutter issues which you can test at your location?
That's too bad because if it's truly hardware related you could swap parts between the "known good PC" to isolate the component (incl. the SSD if contents are backed up prior to formatting).

Still doesn't make sense to me why you'd have the same issue across 3 completely different PCs unless there's:
  • an external factor
  • a virus/rootkit which frequently consumes resources that's apparently been present across all 3 systems...
To try and rule out the "external factor" you could take your entire PC setup to another location to test, although you can't be sure it's likely ruled out unless you have a "known good PC" working fine at that new location too.
Its 100% not the PC causing it, I will not believe for a second that I have somehow got three completely different PC's with the exact same problem, I don't think its possible. I have also already taken it to another location, didn't help. Honestly, I am at the point where I just can't be bothered anymore, almost four years of troubleshooting all for nothing, thousands of pounds down the drain, all for nothing. I am just going to call it quits and move back to console, I guess PC gaming wasn't meant to be for me. T-T
So you're saying it's an external factor (sure it's not the PC) but can't find a known good PC ideally with similar hw to test at your location?
That's literally the only way to rule it out... otherwise you'll never know for sure.

Another thing unlikely to help but advisable to have anyway is a UPS like one of these:
https://www.cyberpower.com/global/en/pr ... ._2#models

Yuiiski

Post by Yuiiski » 30 Oct 2020, 09:10

howiec wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 08:55
Yuiiski wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 08:46
howiec wrote:
Yuiiski wrote:

• an external factor
So you're saying it's an external factor (sure it's not the PC) but can't find a known good PC ideally with similar hw to test at your location?
That's literally the only way to rule it out... otherwise you'll never know for sure.

Another thing unlikely to help but advisable to have anyway is a UPS like one of these:
https://www.cyberpower.com/global/en/pr ... ._2#models
I was considering trying a UPS, but seeing as I already took the PC to another house I am assuming a UPS won't really help.

howiec

Post by howiec » 30 Oct 2020, 09:41

Yuiiski wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 09:10
Its 100% not the PC causing it, I will not believe for a second that I have somehow got three completely different PC's with the exact same problem, I don't think its possible. I have also already taken it to another location, didn't help.
I'm confused. You believe it's not a problem within the PC (HW / SW) but then taking it to another location to try and rule out external factors didn't help, which somewhat (not definitively) points to something specific to the PC...

Without someone else trying to diagnose your PC in person or using a "known good PC" as a control sample, I can't think of anything else we can really do.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 30 Oct 2020, 10:06

howiec wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 09:41
Without someone else trying to diagnose your PC in person or using a "known good PC" as a control sample, I can't think of anything else we can really do.
My sentiments exactly. Troubleshooting such issues with strangers remotely via text format has its limits, unfortunately.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

nuggify

Post by nuggify » 30 Oct 2020, 14:02

Ive been talking about this issue in the EMI thread. Many of us have it, despite people wanting to tell us its extremely unlikely or impossible. It affects entire areas, and I believe it is an issue with POCO infrastructure. I personally have found 4 homes near me that have this problem. If I take my PCs (yes I have 3 desktops now because of this) to my friends in another city 2 hours away, they work totally fine. I have also found some things that mitigate the issues (which for me are not just frame time spikes). High end power conditioning, lifting the ground prong for both PC and monitor (not safe), and using a fiber converter to fiber PCI NIC. So no I do not think anything is damaged.

Anyway I think people misunderstand this problem and want to simply chalk it up to the boogeyman that is EMI. Well its a little more complex than that and using broad terms like EMI doesn't quite cut it. I think it has to be either a neutral return issue with POCO (high impedance) or it has to be a particular subset of common mode noise or low frequency differential noise potentially. These are not easy things to diagnose, trust me we have tried. Anyway if you want to know more shoot me a PM and you can work with us to figure it out or at least figure out mitigation of the problem.

Yuiiski

Post by Yuiiski » 12 Nov 2020, 12:33

nuggify wrote:
30 Oct 2020, 14:02
Ive been talking about this issue in the EMI thread. Many of us have it, despite people wanting to tell us its extremely unlikely or impossible. It affects entire areas, and I believe it is an issue with POCO infrastructure. I personally have found 4 homes near me that have this problem. If I take my PCs (yes I have 3 desktops now because of this) to my friends in another city 2 hours away, they work totally fine. I have also found some things that mitigate the issues (which for me are not just frame time spikes). High end power conditioning, lifting the ground prong for both PC and monitor (not safe), and using a fiber converter to fiber PCI NIC. So no I do not think anything is damaged.

Anyway I think people misunderstand this problem and want to simply chalk it up to the boogeyman that is EMI. Well its a little more complex than that and using broad terms like EMI doesn't quite cut it. I think it has to be either a neutral return issue with POCO (high impedance) or it has to be a particular subset of common mode noise or low frequency differential noise potentially. These are not easy things to diagnose, trust me we have tried. Anyway if you want to know more shoot me a PM and you can work with us to figure it out or at least figure out mitigation of the problem.
I just wanted to add to this...

I got an Xbox Series X two days ago, I have some games that run awfully on my PC but run perfectly on the Series X, The Witcher 3 on my PC suffers from constant stutters and frame drops even at low settings, the game runs flawlessly on the Series X, its capped at 60fps but there isn't a single stutter or frame drop whereas I would get those issues on PC with a 60fps lock. Same goes for games like Battlefield V, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Gears 5, Bright Memory, all these games run fine on my Xbox Series X but perform insanely bad on my PC, which leads me to believe that it likely isn't an "EMI" issue or anything to do with interference because of that was the case, I would imagine that the Series X would be getting the same issues. I suppose at this rate I should just stick with my Xbox Series X, its a shame that I have to downgrade but I would much prefer a solid 60fps then what I get on PC.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 12 Nov 2020, 15:30

Yuiiski wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 12:33
I got an Xbox Series X two days ago, I have some games that run awfully on my PC but run perfectly on the Series X, The Witcher 3 on my PC suffers from constant stutters and frame drops even at low settings, the game runs flawlessly on the Series X, its capped at 60fps but there isn't a single stutter or frame drop whereas I would get those issues on PC with a 60fps lock. Same goes for games like Battlefield V, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Gears 5, Bright Memory, all these games run fine on my Xbox Series X but perform insanely bad on my PC, which leads me to believe that it likely isn't an "EMI" issue or anything to do with interference because of that was the case, I would imagine that the Series X would be getting the same issues. I suppose at this rate I should just stick with my Xbox Series X, its a shame that I have to downgrade but I would much prefer a solid 60fps then what I get on PC.
Is The Witcher 3 running off the Series X's internal SSD? If so, it's possible the way Microsoft handles backwards compatibility includes the asset streaming performance improvements from the Xbox's insanely fast SSD performance (which also heavily reduces load times in Series X games).

Because I can tell you games such as The Witcher 3 absolutely had notable stutter and frame drops on the original console.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Yuiiski

Post by Yuiiski » 13 Nov 2020, 08:27

jorimt wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 15:30
Yuiiski wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 12:33
Is The Witcher 3 running off the Series X's internal SSD? If so, it's possible the way Microsoft handles backwards compatibility includes the asset streaming performance improvements from the Xbox's insanely fast SSD performance (which also heavily reduces load times in Series X games).

Because I can tell you games such as The Witcher 3 absolutely had notable stutter and frame drops on the original console.
I just wanted to add this, I just played through Bright Memory on my PC, the full game and as usual, it ran VERY bad the whole way through, again its like this for every game but I am just using Bright Memory as an example. I had MSI Afterburner in the background so that I could monitor it, after finishing the game this is what MSI Afterburner showed... As you can see the frametime is extreamly unstable and I have no idea what could be causing it as I have tried different monitors, different GPU's etc... Just thought I would add this.

Yuiiski

Post by Yuiiski » 15 Nov 2020, 12:19

Also, I have now installed Linux/Ubuntu and its still doing it, so that means the OS isn't responsible either.