Viewsonic XG2560 - Intermittent scanlines/Pixel Inversion w/ G-Sync on?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Eternis

Viewsonic XG2560 - Intermittent scanlines/Pixel Inversion w/ G-Sync on?

Post by Eternis » 23 Nov 2020, 02:47

Win 10, , Nvidia 1080, and just got this monitor because I've had a very crappy pair for a very long time. :lol:

Other than some colors being really wonky (Cyan in particular) and washed out... I was able to futz with things until I was about 95% satisfied with. Then, I noticed something odd. So far, when I have G-Sync on (This happens with only Fullscreen checked as well as Fullscreen and Windowed, it's if G-Sync is on in any capacity), and I have focus on Bluestacks (so far, haven't found other games/programs...), I get "Scan lines"/pixel inversion artifacts (Am I getting that right?) briefly, and they "settle"--It happens with the whole screen, and it "flickers" somewhat too. It seems to happen the most easily when I am moving around the window itself. I had 0 words for whatever it was I was seeing, so just make sure I have terminology correct, I was able to capture it looking "blurry" then sort of settling in:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RzhmGp ... D8wFk/view

I haven't had too much time to futz with other games, I've tried a couple in borderless windowed games, G-Sync indicator comes on, goes up to 200fps, etc. I'm curious if this is because bluestacks is around the 30fps range for most apps? To test if it was just this, I allowed a higher FPS rate and within the app it did get up to 80, but it was still happening. Honestly I can live with turning gsync off for something inane like bluestacks, but I'm concerned this is going to eventually cause a game that I would like to have gsync on to cause this strange flickering/blurriness/lines.

I saw this talked about all over with a lot of dell machines. I think the thread here MIGHT be the most relevant thing:
https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors ... -p/5055471
"Ideally, images should appear to be moving to the left or the right smoothly, but, the incoming data from the Nvidia video card gets out of sync and thus will result in unexpected vertical lines or vertical pixelation. This issue happens randomly when Nvidia G-Sync is enabled for either the Desktop or Gaming mode. This is due to a Nvidia G-Sync hardware (Nvidia G-Sync scaler IC board) design limitation. Replacing the cable nor the monitor will not fix the issue. Nvidia has to release to Dell a fix for its Nvidia G-Sync scaler IC board."

Though mine is only for brief seconds and then comes and goes randomly for a second or two when the program is in focus. (Oh, and the rest of the screen, at least near it, will have a ripple effect and also get pixelated). So... What might be happening? Any hope for this stopping sometime soon? Why's it only in this one program?? (I have gotten the g-sync indicator to come up in the app, and this happens whether or not it's running at "Normal" or "Gsync", as well). Mostly figuring out if I made a bad decision for buying a monitor. I sort of assume this is a non-hardware thing because I can somewhat easily replicate it.

Oh, and I did a whole bunch of the testing that is supposed to show pixel inversion and flashing but that doesn't happen at all with those in the browser. Any help would be a delight, thanks. :)

Eternis

Re: Viewsonic XG2560 - Intermittent scanlines/Pixel Inversion w/ G-Sync on?

Post by Eternis » 01 Dec 2020, 12:15

Apparently I can't update my post because it doesn't want me to link anything, so I can't touch my post for updates lol.

Couple of other things:
I toyed around with ULMB and it was a nightmare to get it to shut off and get Gsync to work again. And now, I Can't turn my brightness up beyond 75% as if it is still turned on (yes and monitor confirms Gsync). Might need to factory reset the monitor..

Update:
Obvious workaround was for me to go into NVCP assign program to fixed refresh. I'm noticing that even after following some set-up suggestions for "optimal" experience, I am still finding flickers or outright tearing in some games. Rogue Legacy 2 for example, something that is easily run, by limiting system to 3~5 fps below cap w/ RivaTuner, having NVCP Vsync on, Gsync confirmed to be on in program as well.... tons of tearing/stuttering, esp when moving horizontally. No other flashing effects, though. All goes away when Gsync is turned off. Making me wonder if Gsync is really worth it at this point, or if there's something I should look into...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Dec 2020, 14:37

Eternis wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 12:15
Apparently I can't update my post because it doesn't want me to link anything, so I can't touch my post for updates lol.
You got caught in the middle of a forum change: No links for new users

Unfortunately forums got literally ~100 spam messages that bypassed spam filters in the last 48 hours (and had to be manually disapproved) so we had to (for now) disable new-user link posting for now — until users have 5 posts. Spam attacks have been ginormously massively increasing in Holiday Season....

I didn’t want to do this (uggg...) but manually deleting 100 spam is even less fun.
Eternis wrote:
I toyed around with ULMB and it was a nightmare to get it to shut off and get Gsync to work again. And now, I Can't turn my brightness up beyond 75% as if it is still turned on (yes and monitor confirms Gsync). Might need to factory reset the monitor..
Sounds like there is an NVIDIA firmware bug. Try an unplug-plug the monitor (full power cycle).
Eternis wrote:
Obvious workaround was for me to go into NVCP assign program to fixed refresh. I'm noticing that even after following some set-up suggestions for "optimal" experience, I am still finding flickers or outright tearing in some games. Rogue Legacy 2 for example, something that is easily run, by limiting system to 3~5 fps below cap w/ RivaTuner, having NVCP Vsync on, Gsync confirmed to be on in program as well.... tons of tearing/stuttering, esp when moving horizontally. No other flashing effects, though. All goes away when Gsync is turned off. Making me wonder if Gsync is really worth it at this point, or if there's something I should look into...
Some games are just not G-SYNC friendly, you’ll want to test out a variety of different games — it works very well in some games. Also, for most reliable behavior, you need:
- Latest drivers, just to be safe
- G-SYNC + VSYNC ON in NVCP
- VSYNC OFF in-game menus
- Cap 3-5fps below.

Bigger moves:
- Uninstall and reinstall your graphics drivers
- Also try the power cycle (off-on), just in case it’s a bug with the drivers or firmware.

If this all fails, you may also wish to open a ticket with ViewSonic for a potential RMA, because some of the defects you are describing are severe-enough to warrant RMA. Most G-SYNC native chipped monitors aren’t that buggy — sure, games often don’t co-operate, but major glitches like the brightness failure & other artifacts should not be happening at this frequency you are describing..
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Eternis

Post by Eternis » 05 Dec 2020, 02:51

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 14:37

Unfortunately forums got literally ~100 spam messages that bypassed spam filters in the last 48 hours (and had to be manually disapproved) so we had to (for now) disable new-user link posting for now — until users have 5 posts. Spam attacks have been ginormously massively increasing in Holiday Season....

I didn’t want to do this (uggg...) but manually deleting 100 spam is even less fun.
This seems perfectly reasonable :lol:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Eternis wrote:
Sounds like there is an NVIDIA firmware bug. Try an unplug-plug the monitor (full power cycle).
Hmm I did this, sadly didn't work. What I might do is intentionally try and get it to go back into ULMB and then see if I can get out of it without it freaking out this time when I have a bit more time and patience this weekend.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Eternis wrote:
Some games are just not G-SYNC friendly, you’ll want to test out a variety of different games — it works very well in some games. Also, for most reliable behavior, you need:
- Latest drivers, just to be safe
- G-SYNC + VSYNC ON in NVCP
- VSYNC OFF in-game menus
- Cap 3-5fps below.

Bigger moves:
- Uninstall and reinstall your graphics drivers
- Also try the power cycle (off-on), just in case it’s a bug with the drivers or firmware.

If this all fails, you may also wish to open a ticket with ViewSonic for a potential RMA, because some of the defects you are describing are severe-enough to warrant RMA. Most G-SYNC native chipped monitors aren’t that buggy — sure, games often don’t co-operate, but major glitches like the brightness failure & other artifacts should not be happening at this frequency you are describing..
Yup! I tried to do my digging regarding G-sync+NVCP Vsync, vsync on game menus, and using that one program that limits the fps globally (tested in another game too, seemed fine there), as I was looking around on here and trying to understand uh... just literally how any of this works. It was an overwhelming deep dive that I have like, 1/100th of an understanding but I can at least follow the dummy directions y'all nicely provide ;)

Luckily I got this from Amazon and I have until end of Jan. I'm gonna snag the ViewSonic ELITE XG270 27" (Y'know, since it's got that seal of approval and checks all the same boxes I just didn't come across y'all til after I bought this monitor :lol:), sadly it's not gonna arrive til like Jan 5th, but that should be plenty of time for me to process the return and fix things up and pick one of the two. And if I have the same issue(s) between both, then I can point directly to game(s) itself and my mind can be put to ease. If I find out anything more (or if I break something...) I'll be sure to update. Push come to shove, I'm not doing anything super intensive and taxing, so if I have to turn off gsync, It'll have to do. I'm actually more excited about XG270 because I uh, apparently didn't take the time to pay attention to how panels work and if I prioritize color/blacks that I sorta made the wrong decision right off the bat anyways!

Eternis

Post by Eternis » 12 Dec 2020, 16:41

After not being able to turn the brightness over 75 after I tried ULMB and turned it off. I said YUP let's return this, I wanted so much to like it, but oh well!. I got the Viewsonic XG270 and although clearly I was sent a refurb, this is immediately a delight and has a lot of things I could toy with but I am enjoying the standard settings. So, yeah, great job with all that stuff and thanks for poking around in here!