Any info on Lenovo Legion Y25 240Hz monitor?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
rock1jump

Re: Any info on Lenovo Legion Y25 240Hz monitor?

Post by rock1jump » 17 Jan 2021, 13:06

fins wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 13:50
Just tested it myself and yes, it does support AMD FreeSync and 240Hz over HDMI (although I realize that for consoles you only need 120Hz).
Thanks! I received my unit and confirmed I can get 60, 144, 200, 240hz out of the box in Win10 over HDMI with my Ryzen Laptop. However, there is no 120hz selection by default.

To manually set 120hz I need to do the following (also works over HDMI):
- Enable Freesync in OSD
- Enable Freesync in Radeon Lite
- Create custom resolution in Radeon Lite
- Select 120 in Win10

I don't see a use case for 120hz in Win10, just makes me wonder if this monitor will play nice with any of the consoles since I haven't received either yet.

fins

Post by fins » 18 Jan 2021, 09:34

rock1jump wrote:
17 Jan 2021, 13:06
I don't see a use case for 120hz in Win10, just makes me wonder if this monitor will play nice with any of the consoles since I haven't received either yet.
That's an interesting point and I would be curious to know if explicit monitor frequency needs to exist to work with consoles, but I know that when my computer was not able to push more than 180fps in games, my monitor would reflect a matching frequency (< 180Hz), so I would assume it would do the same for consoles - if it pushes 120fps, the monitor would be hard-locked at a matching frequency :?:

fins

Post by fins » 18 Jan 2021, 16:02

This is my first attempt at following pursuit camera guide with an iPhone:

Over Drive: Off
https://youtu.be/ZomRYcDrfPU

Over Drive: Normal
https://youtu.be/l8OXfISMPzI

I did not save "Extreme" version of Over Drive, because Ghosting was absolutely terrible!

I know that I can do better and will try to create better versions today/tomorrow. I used a built-in camera app. If anyone knows of a good third-party app for recording, please let me know!

Btw, personal observation - when playing Valorant (the main reason I got this monitor), having it set to "normal" over drive, seems to give me a bit of a better "advantage" versus it being off.

PS: I would like to try overclocking this monitor and I will post my results here.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Jan 2021, 17:29

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 01:40
Over Drive: Off
https://youtu.be/ZomRYcDrfPU

Over Drive: Normal
https://youtu.be/l8OXfISMPzI
I took the liberty of playing the videos, then pausing it, then single-stepping the frames (the "," and "." buttons) to find the best Sync Track images.

For you, from your video, I have screenshotted one of the best freezeframes of each of the two above for comparison sake.

(To get high resolution screenshots, I actually rotated my monitor into portrait mode to get in sync with portrait smartphone. That's why I usually prefer using landscape camera for pursuit photography, but don't worry about repeating this -- your videos were still good)

Enlargement of your Over Drive: OFF
Screenshot 2021-01-18 15.32.17.png
Screenshot 2021-01-18 15.32.17.png (1.43 MiB) Viewed 2824 times
Enlargement of your Over Drive: Normal
Screenshot 2021-01-18 16.16.27.png
Screenshot 2021-01-18 16.16.27.png (1.51 MiB) Viewed 2824 times
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

fins

Post by fins » 18 Jan 2021, 23:06

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 17:29
I took the liberty of playing the videos, then pausing it, then single-stepping the frames (the "," and "." buttons) to find the best Sync Track images.

For you, from your video, I have screenshotted one of the best freezeframes of each of the two above for comparison sake.

(To get high resolution screenshots, I actually rotated my monitor into portrait mode to get in sync with portrait smartphone. That's why I usually prefer using landscape camera for pursuit photography, but don't worry about repeating this -- your videos were still good)
Thank you for this! Sorry, for causing the headache with my vertical videos :oops:

I already started looking into overclocking the monitor, but while my old (75Hz) monitor could simply be adjusted through AMD Radeon's custom resolution, when I tried to do it with this one it did not let me save, blocking me from saving with an error message. I found another more "involved" option, requiring to overwrite default frequency values in monitor drivers, but not sure if that's the way to go :?