Scanline Sync frametime spikes and frame skipping

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Defox

Scanline Sync frametime spikes and frame skipping

Post by Defox » 03 Dec 2020, 12:55

I would like to clarify about Scanline Sync. Despite the fact that I have a powerful system (Rysen 3600 and RTX 3080), and my video card is only 60% loaded and the processor is not fully loaded either, I get small spikes on frametime in Apex Legends and Rainbow Six Siege every second. In the game, this is noticeably less common, maybe once every 5-10 seconds with smooth camera turns, 1-2 frames seem to be skipped. There are no spikes in the freesync mode.

Is this a feature of Scanline Sync and you can't achieve a better result? Or are there ways and tweaks to achieve a smoother frametime without jerking?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Scanline Sync frametime spikes and frame skipping

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Dec 2020, 18:55

Defox wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 12:55
I would like to clarify about Scanline Sync. Despite the fact that I have a powerful system (Rysen 3600 and RTX 3080), and my video card is only 60% loaded and the processor is not fully loaded either, I get small spikes on frametime in Apex Legends and Rainbow Six Siege every second. In the game, this is noticeably less common, maybe once every 5-10 seconds with smooth camera turns, 1-2 frames seem to be skipped. There are no spikes in the freesync mode.

Is this a feature of Scanline Sync and you can't achieve a better result? Or are there ways and tweaks to achieve a smoother frametime without jerking?
Spikes during RTSS S-Sync is often caused by:
- GPU low loading. If too low (below 30%), power management can kick in. Try disabling power management or locking CPU/GPU clockspeeds
- GPU high loading. If too high even for 1-frame, the precision of RTSS Scanline Sync starts to fail. Even a 75%+ loading can create a temporary loss of RTSS Scanline Sync framepacing precision
- Sync technology ability to destutter. A small 1-frame spike may be visible in RTSS but not visible to human eye because of the ability of FreeSync/G-SYNC to erase many kinds 1-frame stutter.
- Simultaneous caps being done. Remove both RTSS and in-game caps when using RTSS Scanline Sync.
- Engine weirdness. Some engines don't behave well with strategic external framepacing behaviours done in a frame-presentation hook (like RTSS).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Defox

Re: Scanline Sync frametime spikes and frame skipping

Post by Defox » 04 Dec 2020, 10:37

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 18:55
Defox wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 12:55

Spikes during RTSS S-Sync is often caused by:
- GPU low loading. If too low (below 30%), power management can kick in. Try disabling power management or locking CPU/GPU clockspeeds
- GPU high loading. If too high even for 1-frame, the precision of RTSS Scanline Sync starts to fail. Even a 75%+ loading can create a temporary loss of RTSS Scanline Sync framepacing precision
- Sync technology ability to destutter. A small 1-frame spike may be visible in RTSS but not visible to human eye because of the ability of FreeSync/G-SYNC to erase many kinds 1-frame stutter.
- Simultaneous caps being done. Remove both RTSS and in-game caps when using RTSS Scanline Sync.
- Engine weirdness. Some engines don't behave well with strategic external framepacing behaviours done in a frame-presentation hook (like RTSS).
Thank you for your reply.
Power management is off.
I must note that in Apex Legends, frame drops are noticeable much more (unlike Rainbow 6 Siege), since, according to my conclusions, the Apex engine works just awfully, frametime jumps insanely, there are frame drops even without Scanline Sync and with very high fps (200+) frames are displayed very unevenly, which as a result makes the smoothness of the game much worse than in 100 frames.
In the same Valorant, scanline sync works almost perfectly and it seems that this is precisely the merit of the engine and also the very low system requirements of the game.
Simply put, it all depends on the uniformity of the game's frame output as well as the stability of system resource consumption without jumps in the load on the CPU and GPU. The only way to reduce the number of hops is to lower the graphics settings of the game. Or if high graphics settings are important - accept occasional frame drops. The rest depends on the optimization of the game.