LG 27GL850-B - 144hz blur? - 60hz no blur?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
activity123

Re: LG 27GL850-B - 144hz blur? - 60hz no blur?

Post by activity123 » 07 Dec 2020, 16:48

Chief Blur Buster
Thank you for your comprehensive answer. It took me a while to read it all and even more to understand (although not everything is clear anyway).

Unfortunately, this sentence: "The only way to really fix that is to retina-out the refresh rate (> 1000Hz) or add GPU motion blur effects." - doesn't make me optimistic because "motion blur" makes me nausea (I can't stand this effect in games), so that's not an option to consider, also getting more hz is rather hard with games (AAA) and monitors options are quite limited.

It's a pity I bought this monitor to "feel everything better and smoother" but it looks like it will be back to stone age/60hz... (I can not say bad words about my old monitor, but what will I do if it breaks down and already has its years. - Eizo Foris FS2333)

About discomfort - I testing more games and I see this blur... I see it... I will give myself some time to check if nausea will kick in.(for me, unfortunately, it does not occur immediately, but after some time or even for the next morning).

Inco^
I have already brought my "friend" and for her everything is "beautiful, clean and smooth" only when I showed her in the pictures what I see "she understood" what I mean and still claims that she does not see it and everything is sharp.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Dec 2020, 18:53

activity123 wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 16:48
Unfortunately, this sentence: "The only way to really fix that is to retina-out the refresh rate (> 1000Hz) or add GPU motion blur effects." - doesn't make me optimistic because "motion blur" makes me nausea (I can't stand this effect in games), so that's not an option to consider, also getting more hz is rather hard with games (AAA) and monitors options are quite limited.
Be noted that if you keep frame rates high on a high-Hz monitor, e.g. 240fps 240Hz, you are adding only 1/240sec motion blur from GPU motion blur algorithm. That's still a lot less motion blur than 60Hz motion blur (eye-tracked).

The tactic is to get overkill framerate/refresh rate (1/4th the motion blur as 60Hz), then intentionally add back some GPU motion blurring (give up 1/4th).

Thusly GPU-motionblurred 240fps@240Hz is still roughly half the motion blur of non-GPU-motionblurred 60fps@60Hz.
(1/240sec persistence + 1/240sec GPU blurring = 2/240/sec = 0.5/60sec). This is not ideal, but it is at least a solution available today for people who have an extreme aversion to stroboscopic effects of any kind.

Yes, it is hard to get more framerate with games, which is why if you want to really push those frames, you want to consider frame rate amplification technologies such as an RTX card with DLSS 2.0. This will keep your frame rates higher.
activity123 wrote:
About discomfort - I testing more games and I see this stroboscopic effect... I see it... I will give myself some time to check if nausea will kick in.(for me, unfortunately, it does not occur immediately, but after some time or even for the next morning).
Fixed that for you. Be careful not to confuse motion blur (blurry smear) with stroboscopics (duplicate copies of images).

If you have access to visiting a higher end rig -- one technique is to jump much higher in refresh rate (e.g. 240Hz-360Hz range), and upgrade your GPU to match (e.g. RTX 3070+).

Now, if you have a huge dislike of motion blur AND stroboscopics, then you really have to go really high in refresh rates, like 360fps 360Hz or beyond (the most retina-out you can get today with stroboscopics and motion blur simultaneously)
activity123 wrote:
Inco^
I have already brought my "friend" and for her everything is "beautiful, clean and smooth" only when I showed her in the pictures what I see "she understood" what I mean and still claims that she does not see it and everything is sharp.
This is normal to have such divergences.

A person who automatically tracks eyes on moving objects will immediately notice the improved clarity. They automatically don't see what you are seeing -- because their eyes automatically moves with the screen motion.

A person who just keeps eyes fixed even while motion scrolls past, sometimes will see the changes in stroboscopics behaviors.

Different people handles screen eye-tracking very different, and displays show different artifacts for these two behaviors:
- Stationary eyes with moving objects scrolling past
- Tracking eyes with moving objects

Great motion animations of various artifacts of the artificial humankind invention of using finite frame rates to emulate analog real life motion:
- TestUFO Animation - Eye Tracking Motion Blur Optical Illusion
- TestUFO Animation - Persistence of Vision Optical Illusion
- TestUFO Animation - Mouse Arrow Stroboscopic Effect
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

activity123

Post by activity123 » 08 Dec 2020, 15:27

Ok, thank you Chief Blur Buster once again for the comprehensive answer and advice.

activity123

Post by activity123 » 13 Dec 2020, 14:50

I tested a few games and I have strange feelings, sometimes I see stroboscopic effect, sometimes not really.

Starcraft Remasterd - I can see it as well as my friend
The Settlers 3 - History Edition - I can see it as well as my friend

Horizon Zero Dawn - I can see it, but my friend doesn't

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - I don't see it, my friend see it

Far Cry 5 - I can't see it and neither can my friend
Hades - I can't see it and neither can my friend

This is weird:
Anno 1800 - I can see when I move the screen horizontally but not vertically, my friend doesn't see it in both case
The Sims 4 - I can see when I move the screen horizontally but not vertically, my friend doesn't see it in both case

I know we all have different eyes, but the one I wonder most about is the case of Anno 1800 and the Sims 4. Is there any explanation?