Objects drawn twice when moving mouse fastly

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Kaeptn

Objects drawn twice when moving mouse fastly

Post by Kaeptn » 06 Dec 2020, 09:19

So i bought a Samsung Odyssey G9 today and with that I upgraded from a 60hz to a 240hz monitor. I thought the difference in picture clarity when moving the mouse and while flickshots would be massively better even on like 120FPS but I was disappointed. There still is this effect when moving the mouse rather fast and leaving the eye or observing camera thats taking a picture of the display on one fixed point of the monitor.
When I am tracking an object with my eye ingame while moving the mouse fluedly at low to medium speed, the object will remain sharp and clearly visible. However when I move the mouse faster and up to really fast while fixing my eye position onto the crosshair in the middle of the screen, every object ingame is drawn like twice or 3 times by the monitor, which is such an unclear picture that it really renders it impossible to see enemies or where you are in the map of the game (call of duty/wow) - you really loose orientation for that short moment and have to rely on your feeling for where you are aming.
I really hoped this effect would go away with 240hz but it did not.
I was playing call of duty with frames locked to 120hz cause my pc could not achive 240fps. the monitor is set to 240hz in its settings and in the nvidia settings aswell and has features that boost reaction time set to standard. I have motion blur disabled ingame. I have the newest graphic drivers. Which game I am playing does not matter. I tried every combination of graphic settings ingame but no change. I did the UFO tests on blurbusters but these look VERY good and sharp so I think that what I am observing is a totally normal behaviour unfortunately.

Here are some photos i took with my mobile phone (resting on fixed point) while moving the mouse really fast (links werent allowed for me yet so I removed the . in the links):

imgur(dot)com/a/uB0C2GM

Here is a video by techquickie where you can see the effect I am talking about in slow motion if you put playback speed to the slowest setting:

youtu(dot)be/LnKGTZIAup0?t=40

My Question now is if anybody knows what is happening here and how I can fix it.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Objects drawn twice when moving mouse fastly

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Dec 2020, 01:16

(New users are allowed to post links after a few posts, we had to institute this rule due to spammers, unfortunately)

Embedding your image and video:

phpBB [video]
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Objects drawn twice when moving mouse fastly

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Dec 2020, 02:36

Some suggestions:

This is a VA panel, a panel technology that does not scale as well as TN or Fast-IPS for high-Hz operation.

-- Try warming up your monitor for 1 hour. VA panels are very temperature sensitive. VA panels in cold rooms in winter will be extremely bad at ghosting (which makes the stroboscopic effect linger longer and more noticeably)
-- Try testing a lower resolution to get 240fps in some games. See how it improves.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!