The Official *Dell Alienware AW2521H 360Hz* Owners Thread

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
CortexFPS

Re: The Official *Dell Alienware AW2521H 360Hz* Owners Thread

Post by CortexFPS » 09 Aug 2021, 05:25

Relic wrote:
08 May 2021, 07:10
Can anyone confirm if this monitor works with freesync? I have read recently that it does but some of the early reviews i read said it didn't support it but I wouldn't be surprised if they never tested freesync. The pg259qn supports it and it's the same panel and g sync module so I'm hoping this supports it so I can save some money as it's a good bit cheaper.
did you find out anything about it?
In use: 27GR95QE-B | XG2431
Used before: PG248QP | XL2566K | XL2546K/S | XV252QF | AW2521H | VG259QM | PG279QM | AW2721D
Mouse: OP1 8K | Zaunkoenig M2K
Keyboard: Wooting 60HE
PC: 5800x3D; RTX 3080

Delarocha

Post by Delarocha » 25 Aug 2021, 12:15

Hi guys ,

My aw2521h always show 360hz in current hz even if gsync Is on , in monitor > others > display info .
With others dell monitor current hz vary during games matching 1:1 fps of the videocard.
Is a common issue of monitor firmware ? ...or A gsync problem ?
Can you try run a game with gsync on and see if current and maximum hz under display info of aw2521h always show 360hz ?
Thanks

lablaka

Post by lablaka » 09 Sep 2021, 14:52

Delarocha wrote:
25 Aug 2021, 12:15
Hi guys ,

My aw2521h always show 360hz in current hz even if gsync Is on , in monitor > others > display info .
With others dell monitor current hz vary during games matching 1:1 fps of the videocard.
Is a common issue of monitor firmware ? ...or A gsync problem ?
Can you try run a game with gsync on and see if current and maximum hz under display info of aw2521h always show 360hz ?
Thanks
I haven't run into this issue.
With G-Sync on the displayed Hz were always identical to the current FPS, as long as FPS were in G-Sync range.

Are you sure it's displaying the wrong Hz and G-Sync is actually working properly? Or could it be that G-Sync simply isn't working?
Try reinstalling GPU drivers and a different DP cable.

NarfTV

Post by NarfTV » 15 Sep 2021, 15:56

So im using this Monitor since May now.
For people interessted in buying this im posting my opinion on it. Starting with the bad stuff.

Bad:
- Reflex analyzer feature sometimes stops working, to get it to work again you need to unplug the monitor from both GPU and Power and power cycle (holding the button while its not connected to anything) and do a factory reset.
- ULMB is almost unusable with my sample, even tho i match FPS with the 240hz consistently ill just get double imaging from time to time and there is something weird when alt+tabbing out of games it will eventually turn itself off, you have to make sure you disable gsync first, set fixed refreshrate in Nvidia driver, restart, enable ULMB in nvidia, enable in the monitor, and restart your pc again to avoid getting ULMB canceled. I dont know if that is a driver issue.
- ULMB brightness is way to dark.
- NO gaming features, the Blackequalizer is not good enough, there is no sharpening, no vibrance, nothing that could help.
- When not using G-Sync all overdrive modes seem off. There so much blur its quite annoying.

Good:
- Very Low input lag
- Good Motionclarity with G-Sync enabled due to variable overdrive finetuned by Nvidia (i guess.)
- Very good colors
- virtually no ghosting with "fast" overdrive mode. (lowest setting)
- Was actually the cheapest 360hz when i bought it

i use custom color mode: R 100, G 99, B 90, Brightness: 100%
Contrast: 75% for media, 100% for gaming.
Variable Backlight Mode: 0
Dark Stabilizer: 0 for Media, 3 for gaming
Responsetime: Fast for Media, Super Fast for gaming
NVCP digital vibrance: 50% for Media,70%-80% for gaming
NVCP sharpening: 0.5, 0% grain.

So aslong as you finetune the colors a little bit, use G-Sync and adjust the vibrance and sharpening via software for gaming this Monitor is actually quite a beast. But overall its more fun for Multimedia /watching movies etc. The gaming aspect isnt quite on point, if it would atleast have a very good Dark Stabilizer or better responsetimes/overdrive that would make the motionclarity better without ULMB/Gsync this Monitor would be so much better.

wickedcpa

Post by wickedcpa » 19 Nov 2021, 01:58

Ok - I have a really dumb question but I thought I'd try here just the same. I just got my AW2521H and I am thrilled with it; however I use an HDMI switch for 2 other work computers to share the monitor. The problem is, this kills the refresh rate on the monitor and kind of defeats the purpose of buying it (I'm getting 120HZ through this connection). I thought I would be able to hook up TWO connections from the main machine to the monitor: One through the switch to the HDMI port and one directly from another output on the graphics card to the DP port. That seemed to work at first, but as soon as I changed the input to DP from HDMI1 with the switch set, then back again, the HDMI version is just a blank white screen. No luck back and forth. I had to unplug the DP cord to get the desktop on the switch to work again (the other two machines continued to work fine - a little slow switching, but that's not a big deal).

Any way to get that set up to work? I think it just confuses things having the output go to two different ports on the same monitor from the same graphics card - but I wanted to make sure there's not something simple to fix it. :?

ironstar151515

Post by ironstar151515 » 27 Dec 2021, 18:04

diakou wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 01:37
Although there's two other posts made regarding the AW2521H, they did not seem like the typical threads made for specific attention-worthy monitors.

I have had the AW2521H for a few days now and I must say, it is truly one of my best purchases to this day. I upgraded from a Omen X25F (which btw, in my opinion really was such a great "Esports" monitor for raw latency purposes) HP did a surprisingly good job on the X25, X25F.

The AW2521H has a bit of an awkward usage for me compared to most; it's to play a 60fps locked game with a full-range VRR G-Sync monitor @ highest refresh rates possible with low input lag and response times. I am a competitive top player, but my needs are often different than other competitors of other genres. These demands are more than fulfilled with this monitor. But what has shocked me so far the most is probably the colors and other games than my main one that I play (Brawlhalla)

Playing League of Legends (which btw, only has a 240fps cap, can edit it in the config text files/NVCP outside of game though) with g-sync enabled has been fantastic. I feel like I'm almost cheating versus other players in lane as I am able to consistently react and time certain interactions effortlessly. I was always able to auto attack space so that I get an attack on them, but they do not get one on me and vice-versa depending on my movement and range. But that always required some sort of planning and was not always seamless or able to execute on the possibility. Now I don't even feel like I have to plan it half the time, whenever it presents itself and the timing seems nice, it's almost always guaranteed and I can just go for it without worries that it might have been off-timing. Outside of that, panning and smoothness of the game is pretty incredible when paired with g-sync as I'm not able to push much past 400fps regardless and average around 300-320, so I have it capped @ 355. It's hard to say, but overall even though League has a lot of weirdness with its engine and high frames (such as movement prediction needs to be disabled past 200fps usually or else you're going to teleport all over the place.) It's actually just so enjoyable to play league and other games with a monitor like this. Ping matters a lot in League, but lucky with a sub 20ms connection - so that does not affect much here either, mostly my system, monitor and mice.

I don't really think this is the end however, these are still the first-gen 360hz monitors. I think there's a lot of work to be done still motion blur related and more. I'm also sad about the BFI and ULMB only working @ 240hz and not higher. I think for a premium monitor, it did satisfy the overall requirements for purchasing a monitor like this. If comparing this to 240hz first-gen monitors at launch, I'd say this specific model was a successful next-gen jump. I think the jump I did from 144 to 240, although very significant, did not feel as significant as the 240 to 360 jump. There's just something very different about this "high" of a refresh rate coupled with low inputlag. It's a combination of everything really. Trying to quantify 2ms or 3ms raw input lag / scanout differences between a 360 and a 240 does not feel justified here. The feel and effect it has on gameplay is beyond just a few milliseconds. I guess it's a violent ramp-up effect causing such "minimal" gains to be as changing.

Still! Not perfect, not even close, but happy it didn't turn out like a first gen 240hz and I'm way more content with a 360 than I was with a 240. Next jump is either a very improved 360Hz or else I think 480/720 and more is the next upgrade for me.

9/10 satisfied with the monitor, heard in the US it's on sale for $669 currently on dell's own website.Image

Quick edit;
I do not think this monitor is worth it if you are not utilizing it at 360Hz - that is an important distinction. I do not think this monitor is worth for superficial reasons either. I do not think this monitor is worth it for most people who need a different hardware upgrade (Ram/GPU/CPU) or Peripherals (Mice/Keyboard) There's also no way of knowing if the MSI or Acer edition will be a lot better or not. I do actually think the MSI 360Hz might turn out really good, just a hunch. I doubt the Acer is much better if better at all however.
Does your 360 monitor set itself to 240 hz in league for some reason even though I set it to 360hz and have frames uncapped in league with vsync off my monitor literally changes itself back to 240 hz I know this because of the game enhance mode frame rate display in game its always at 240 but any other game or in the desktop it is at 360

StarWarsCoffee

Post by StarWarsCoffee » 30 Dec 2021, 07:36

NarfTV wrote:
15 Sep 2021, 15:56
So im using this Monitor since May now.
For people interessted in buying this im posting my opinion on it. Starting with the bad stuff.

Bad:
- Reflex analyzer feature sometimes stops working, to get it to work again you need to unplug the monitor from both GPU and Power and power cycle (holding the button while its not connected to anything) and do a factory reset.
- ULMB is almost unusable with my sample, even tho i match FPS with the 240hz consistently ill just get double imaging from time to time and there is something weird when alt+tabbing out of games it will eventually turn itself off, you have to make sure you disable gsync first, set fixed refreshrate in Nvidia driver, restart, enable ULMB in nvidia, enable in the monitor, and restart your pc again to avoid getting ULMB canceled. I dont know if that is a driver issue.
- ULMB brightness is way to dark.
- NO gaming features, the Blackequalizer is not good enough, there is no sharpening, no vibrance, nothing that could help.
- When not using G-Sync all overdrive modes seem off. There so much blur its quite annoying.

Good:
- Very Low input lag
- Good Motionclarity with G-Sync enabled due to variable overdrive finetuned by Nvidia (i guess.)
- Very good colors
- virtually no ghosting with "fast" overdrive mode. (lowest setting)
- Was actually the cheapest 360hz when i bought it

i use custom color mode: R 100, G 99, B 90, Brightness: 100%
Contrast: 75% for media, 100% for gaming.
Variable Backlight Mode: 0
Dark Stabilizer: 0 for Media, 3 for gaming
Responsetime: Fast for Media, Super Fast for gaming
NVCP digital vibrance: 50% for Media,70%-80% for gaming
NVCP sharpening: 0.5, 0% grain.

So aslong as you finetune the colors a little bit, use G-Sync and adjust the vibrance and sharpening via software for gaming this Monitor is actually quite a beast. But overall its more fun for Multimedia /watching movies etc. The gaming aspect isnt quite on point, if it would atleast have a very good Dark Stabilizer or better responsetimes/overdrive that would make the motionclarity better without ULMB/Gsync this Monitor would be so much better.
You might have something faulty with your unit because I have no issues with Reflex Analyzer turning off and my ULMB doesn’t lose any brightness in my testing. Maybe you’re used to always playing at 100% brightness or something, but the ULMB is definitely not too dark at all.

I do notice the occasional double image with the ULMB but I noticed the exact same thing with other strobing monitors I’ve tested. The XL2546K had the best feeling strobing but the AW’s is surprisingly clear. I get some eye fatigue with strobing so unfortunately it’s not a setting I can use long term. However, without it the AW is blurrier than I expected for a 360hz monitor. I haven’t tested it with G-Sync on so maybe that will help. But I don’t notice much of a difference in this 360hz and using a 240hz monitor given the motion blur in games.

xenphor

Post by xenphor » 20 Jan 2022, 13:25

I bought this monitor but gsync does not work over HDMI despite reviews and the manual saying it should work. I'm using a 1050 ti with the latest drivers. Has anyone else gotten gsync to work over HDMI? I've tried both HDMI ports but that didn't help.

blrapok

Post by blrapok » 27 Jan 2022, 05:43

Hello !

I want to buy DELL Alienware AW2521H 360Hz G-sync monitor.

What is the maximum number of hertz supported by g sync mode? Some sources claim that the maximum frequency of g sync is 240Hz. What about fps range 240 - 360 ? In this fps interval, the g sync mode does not work?

Thanks for help !

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 27 Jan 2022, 06:48

blrapok wrote:
27 Jan 2022, 05:43
I want to buy DELL Alienware AW2521H 360Hz G-sync monitor.

What is the maximum number of hertz supported by g sync mode? Some sources claim that the maximum frequency of g sync is 240Hz. What about fps range 240 - 360 ? In this fps interval, the g sync mode does not work?
According to nvidia, the range is 1Hz to 360Hz:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/pr ... ors/specs/
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.