Bought a BenQ XL2420Z - Need Help With Settings

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Hexadecimal

Bought a BenQ XL2420Z - Need Help With Settings

Post by Hexadecimal » 07 May 2014, 17:34

Hey everyone, I recently bought a BenQ XL2420Z with the purpose of making sure that my hardware doesn't hold me back in any way of pursuing my goal of becoming a professional gamer.

With that being said, there are a lot of features with the BenQ XL2420Z. The game that I play competitively is called League of Legends. It's in the MOBA genre. What settings should I have enabled for that type of game? For example, should I have motion blur enabled or is that just for FPS games? Should I be adjusting the Low Blue Light at all?

At the same time, there are presets on the monitor I should be using such as the FPS ones?

I also play CS:GO from time to time and would like to know if I should be using motion blur for that game. Any help is much appreciated.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Bought a BenQ XL2420Z - Need Help With Settings

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 May 2014, 18:48

Hexadecimal wrote:Hey everyone, I recently bought a BenQ XL2420Z with the purpose of making sure that my hardware doesn't hold me back in any way of pursuing my goal of becoming a professional gamer.

With that being said, there are a lot of features with the BenQ XL2420Z. The game that I play competitively is called League of Legends. It's in the MOBA genre. What settings should I have enabled for that type of game? For example, should I have motion blur enabled or is that just for FPS games? Should I be adjusting the Low Blue Light at all?

At the same time, there are presets on the monitor I should be using such as the FPS ones?

I also play CS:GO from time to time and would like to know if I should be using motion blur for that game. Any help is much appreciated.
Blur Reduction is very game dependant. LightBoost and Blur Reduction adds a minor amount of input lag (average of 4ms), but can improve reaction times significantly if you're trying to track fast motion (e.g. "Scout" character in Team Fortress 2, as an example) since motion blur can delay reaction times in some cases. There are people whose gameplay scores improve tremendously with blur reduction / LightBoost -- LightBoost testimonials of improved scores.

Professional competitive gamers will often turn off Blur Reduction because of the input lag, especially since blur reduction do not help certain kinds of gameplay tactics (e.g. staring at crosshairs rather than tracking motion as it moves across the screen).

TL;DR: It depends on the game and your gameplay tactics, whether or not blur reduction benefits you competitively.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Hexadecimal

Post by Hexadecimal » 07 May 2014, 19:50

Thanks for the reply. What about AMA (advanced motion accelerator)? I have 3 options to choose from: OFF, High, or Premium. I'm not entirely sure what this effects or what setting I should have it on.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 May 2014, 20:24

On the BENQ, the modes on the Z series do not impact input lag. Don't touch AMA while in Blur Reduction mode, though. Play with the blur reduction and AMA while viewing http://www.testufo.com/ghosting

Also see LCD Motion Artifacts 101 and LCD Overdrive Artifacts for the effects of BENQ AMA which is similiar to ASUS Trace Free settings.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!