Monitors | Differences in Movement and Aim | Input Lag Omen X27 vs Legion Y27gq

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
thecorningrove

Monitors | Differences in Movement and Aim | Input Lag Omen X27 vs Legion Y27gq

Post by thecorningrove » 17 Dec 2020, 03:57

Hey hey,

I have a weird phenomenon and I can't explain it.

I have 3 Monitors here for comparision, since I have several issues wich each of them: Of course I am aware of bias/placebo and so on, still it's so strong, that I want to ask you guys about your opinion to this topic.

- HP Omen X 27:

Pro: 0 Input Lag, very good motion clarity, nearly no motion blur and ghosting, best gaming performance (aim, movement, reactions, flick shots)

Con: Colours a bit washed out in comparison, but that doesn't bother me; shitty Coating (in games not problematic); PWM

Reason for return: PWM --> strong headache, motion sickness, nausea after several minutes of use

- Lenovo Legion Y27gq-25:

Pro: best motion clearity, superb colours for a TN Panel, according to my tests the same amount of Input Lag compared to the Omen.

Con: Still, I don't have this fluid movements, the aim is a bit off and my reactions seem a bit less/heavy/slow; same shitty coating as the omen

- Samsung Odyssey G7 27":

Pro: Nice colours and contrast, good motion clarity

Con: higher Input Lag, micro stutters at higher refresh rates (~200+), slightly worst gaming performance so far (movements, aiming, holding angles, reactions)

I tested every three Monitors under the same conditions, at the same day and every one on it's on and side by side.

Still of course, there will always be a little bit bias.

As far as I know/heard, the Omen and the Legion use the same Panel, while the Legion doesn't usw PWM to dim brightness - which makes it a viable option for me.

But my problem rn is: I have them both side by side, and I am way better on the HP compared to the Legion (For instance aim maps at CS:GO, Rb6: Siege Terrorist Hunt etc.); Odyssey is more or less completely off. But I can't really explain why. The Legion has even slightly better motion clarity and colours.

You can find my "tests" on youtube (no idea why I may not link to youtube tho). I don't know if they are valid and have any meaningfulness:

Youtube: channel/UCpu5n6M0MjHcRV0fe1yLb4w (paste behind youtube*com)

Let me hear your thoughts please!

Regards

thecorningrove

Re: Monitors | Differences in Movement and Aim | Input Lag Omen X27 vs Legion Y27gq

Post by thecorningrove » 18 Dec 2020, 05:50

Short Update:

I busted the issue on the Lenovo: G-Sync is the problem. It gives me the feel that somehow I have huge input lag. Deactivated everything feels now like on the Omen. Kinda disappointing.

And it's (for me) really a night and day difference.

I have basically the same feeling on the G7. Seems like I'm very sensetiv to input lag - while I dont really mind to play without VRR above 160Hz

Right now, I am thinking about going back to 1080p and getting the monitor with lowest input lag and best motion clarity, which brings me to ASUS VG279QM or Alienware AW2521H, AW2521HF or PG259QN. Maybe I also stick to my 1440p Y27gq and just play without Gsync.