Buy buy samsung g7 odyssey 27 inch or wait

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
striker333

Buy buy samsung g7 odyssey 27 inch or wait

Post by striker333 » 18 Dec 2020, 10:29

I have benq 2720x my main usage online games and watching movies . i checked this monitor reviews in many videos and forums but i trust this forum more cuz it is specialized . it will costs me 600 $$ in my country .my choices is aorus fi27q and the samsung g7 27 both almost same price and then there is Alienware 25 AW2521HF but i prefer 27 inch ,iknow g7 have problems now and even samsung dont sell it any more at official site . i want best monitor with less input lag and motion . i can wait with no problem if those choices arent right specially this gonna cost me a lot .so what do you recommend and thx in advance

SirensOW

Re: Buy buy samsung g7 odyssey 27 inch or wait

Post by SirensOW » 18 Dec 2020, 11:48

Hi, I just registered an account to reply to this thread :)

I own the Asus VG259QM 280hz monitor, and the Samsung 27inch G7. I bought the G7 on sale two weeks ago and used it exclusively for work and gaming.

Switched back to my Asus 280hz monitor yesterday. The Samsung G7 has more then double the input lag then my Asus monitor. I could immediately tell a difference the moment I turned on my Asus monitor and used my desktop. Played a few games, it was like I was back at home where I belong.

The G7 is a beautiful monitor, 1440p is awesome. The pixel response time is amazing as many have already obviously praised. Arguably clearer during some color transitions then my Asus 280hz.

But at the end of the day, as a high raking competitive gamer that likes speed, input lag is the priority unfortunately. You can't have it all. I'm positive you still feel the input difference coming from your BenQ. But everyone is different.

striker333

Post by striker333 » 18 Dec 2020, 12:50

Thx very much for ur response i appreciate it a lot .i have benq 2720z not AW2521HF i put it as a choice . that's strange u have high lag input .reviews said opposite . did u tried different settings buy using g sync and disabling it ...etc . i prefer 1440 cuz think 1080 with 27 is low now .my options what i have mentioned besides MSI Optix MAG272CQR 27 and the AORUS 27 Inch CV27Q .

SirensOW

Post by SirensOW » 18 Dec 2020, 13:34

All freesync

is disabled, low input lag setting on.

I'm not saying the input lag of the G7 is "high", but, compared to my other monitor (that's 1080p and can go to 280hz)- its "high-er".

The G7 is definitely on of the lowest, if not THE lowest lag, 1440p monitor on the market. So if 1440p is a priority to you, I'd say you can't go wrong then.

It only makes sense that a 1080p and higher overclocked hertz monitor feels more responsive. So if responsiveness is your #1 priority (like me) then you need to look at 1080p and highest refresh rate monitors first.

Hope this all helps you decide.

thecorningrove

Post by thecorningrove » 18 Dec 2020, 17:54

check out the video I recently made on youtube (paste /watch?v=KeY_u7Pvrjg behind youtube*com since you can't post youtube links here somehow).

I don't know if they are valid, but they show what I actually felt. The Odyssey G7 didn't give me the "connected" feel and the tests actually show that.

I don't know what all the reviewers meassured, but my unit seems to be totaly off from having a good input lag.

Besides the input lag or let's say, the off feeling: Motion clearity is awesome, aswell as colours and contrast.

SirensOW

Post by SirensOW » 18 Dec 2020, 19:20

I played with freesync off, low input lag mode on always.

For 1440p monitors, I would definitely say that the G7 is as fast as it gets in terms of input lag. All reviewers say the same. With a great pixel response time to match. But most new 1080p monitors are slightly faster. Rtings says my 1080p 280hz monitor is about 1ms faster then the G7, and I can say I feel the difference after owning both.

But - If you are set on 1440p, I think this is currently your best option. If you don't want a curved display, then I think the best next 1440p monitor is the Alienware AW2721D. This is a very new model, so not many in depth reviews yet though.

I hope this helps.

striker333

Post by striker333 » 19 Dec 2020, 04:17

Thank you guys for the response again .I don't have wide knowledge about monitors so that's the first time to know that resolution have relation to response time :D that's explain why pro gamers still using 1080p monitors . actually choosing good monitor is so confusing not like choosing another pc hardware specially when you keep your hardware long time like me . besides I cant refund anything I opened specially in my country :D . so there is no a complete monitor as I see .the problem is that I am so sensitive when it comes to monitor i can feel high input lag and got headache with motion blur and hate washed colors too . sorry to made you confused with me . i think ill wait for more models to come to belter have wide choices and yes your response helped a lot thank again guys .

Rbk_3

Post by Rbk_3 » 24 Dec 2020, 15:41

SirensOW wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 11:48

I own the Asus VG259QM 280hz monitor, and the Samsung 27inch G7. I bought the G7 on sale two weeks ago and used it exclusively for work and gaming.

Switched back to my Asus 280hz monitor yesterday. The Samsung G7 has more then double the input lag then my Asus monitor. I could immediately tell a difference the moment I turned on my Asus monitor and used my desktop. Played a few games, it was like I was back at home where I belong.

The G7 is a beautiful monitor, 1440p is awesome. The pixel response time is amazing as many have already obviously praised. Arguably clearer during some color transitions then my Asus 280hz.

But at the end of the day, as a high raking competitive gamer that likes speed, input lag is the priority unfortunately. You can't have it all. I'm positive you still feel the input difference coming from your BenQ. But everyone is different.
According to Rtings measurements it is not double the lag. Were talking under 1ms difference. If you can truly notice that you are super human.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/co ... eshold=0.1

Native max refresh rate
1.9ms vs 2.7ms

With VRR
2.2ms vs 3.1ms

thecorningrove

Post by thecorningrove » 24 Dec 2020, 15:56

check out my video. maybe it's not valid, but as far as I can judge it, it is. And I literally felt that input lag compared to that omen x27

Just paste this "watch?v=KeY_u7Pvrjg" behind youtube,com, since it's not allowed to post youtube links here somehow...

Maybe I had a faulty unit tho, but it was with newest firmware and VRR Control enabled

74tm

Post by 74tm » 24 Dec 2020, 16:00

SirensOW wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 11:48

Can you say that the G7 is much more comfortable to use while working? In other words is it easier on the eyes?