wierd "static" \ "shimmring" effect ingames.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
niros

wierd "static" \ "shimmring" effect ingames.

Post by niros » 21 Dec 2020, 06:02

9900k+3070 msi trio x +32gb 3200cl 14 ram b-die ram+970 evo plus 1tb ssd. latest windows build/updates+gpu driver 457.30+1080p IPS monitor 240hz

https://imgur.com/a/My6xhxl

So I uploaded two pictures from Cyberpunk as an example but this issue happened for me in other games like Witcher 3 , Apex Legends , RDR2 , PoE and so on as you can see i have a wierd "static" or "shimmering" effect on some objects ingames (when im ingame you can actually see this "static" effect moving ) and also on games with AA disabled(Apex for example) the jagged issue is extreme.

now let me state that i built this pc 2 weeks ago and ran all stablity tests needed. all parts are good! And for the first few weeks all worked good aswell. until Cyberpunk came out. I installed it and everything was fine.. then NVIDIA released a new GPU driver so i went on and installed it (for cyberpunk mainly) and then the issue started.

when I didn't had the issue i was on 457.30 but as you can see i reverted back and i still have issues.

things i tried? reverting and installing old\new drivers with DDU method.(non worked) changing ingame/nvidia control panel/nvidia profile inspector settings (non worked) replug RAM/GPU/CPU + Flashing new BIOS + OC settings off/ OC settings ON(non worked) tried new monitor+monitor cables+other gpu ports(non worked)

Stevie66

Re: wierd "static" \ "shimmring" effect ingames.

Post by Stevie66 » 21 Dec 2020, 07:19

Go to the same area and turn on Ray Tracing and see if it's still there

StareX

Post by StareX » 22 Dec 2020, 07:37

I get these shimmering "black dots" type of "Static noise" effects in COD MW and COD Black Ops Cold War too.

If I turn the settings to Ultra high I dont get it, but what settings effect this?

elexor

Post by elexor » 22 Dec 2020, 11:09

It's just the grain from SSR "screen space reflections" you can turn SSR off to get rid of alot of grain.

This accurate lighting and reflection stuff comes with huge fidelity compromises that almost no-one seems to mention. SSR grain also gets worse during motion so when your driving a car in cyberpunk it's even worse. I think nvidia's raytracing with do a better job but that comes with massive performance penalties.

Aldagar

Post by Aldagar » 22 Dec 2020, 11:50

Isn't this pixel crawling/flickering caused by specularity? Usually TAA (Temporal Anti-Aliasing) solves this, but it's weird since Cyberpunk 2077 have forced TAA.

ELK

Post by ELK » 26 Dec 2020, 13:16

Are the 3070 the cards having overclock issues due to have RF getting through the capicitors? Open Nvidia control panel click help then click on debug mode to disable factory overclocking. Is the issue still there?