RTSS' Scanline sync equivalent for linux?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
deama

RTSS' Scanline sync equivalent for linux?

Post by deama » 22 Dec 2020, 16:59

So for linux gaming, is there a scanline sync feature alternative? Something that allows the user to adjust the tearline, to hide it. This would also have to work for games under wine too I'd imagine.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: RTSS' Scanline sync equivalent for linux?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Dec 2020, 13:41

deama wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 16:59
So for linux gaming, is there a scanline sync feature alternative? Something that allows the user to adjust the tearline, to hide it. This would also have to work for games under wine too I'd imagine.
Not currently, unfortunately.

Someone with classic beam racing / raster interrupt knowledge (and applying it to modern GPUs, ala Tearline Jedi) would have to create this.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

deama

Post by deama » 23 Dec 2020, 21:38

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 13:41
deama wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 16:59
Not currently, unfortunately.

Someone with classic beam racing / raster interrupt knowledge (and applying it to modern GPUs, ala Tearline Jedi) would have to create this.
Can RTSS be used in wine? Including it's scanline sync feature?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Dec 2020, 23:25

deama wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 21:38
Can RTSS be used in wine? Including it's scanline sync feature?
Hugely doubtful.

<Programmer Technical>
I doubt that the D3DKMTGetScanLine() reports accurate data in the GPU drivers for WINE.

If an open source programmer wishes to virtualize D3DKMTGetScanLine() in a simulation, by improving the WINE source code, as a time-based offset between two VBlanks, then it is theoretically possible, although RTSS is a driver hook, and I don't know if driver hooks works in WINE.

It's kinda a low-level call, that I've never seen successfully virtualized in any emulators or virtual machines on another OS than its host, though it is not impossible -- though it requires an open source programmer familiar with the raster delivery pipeline of pixel delivery from GPU to display (programmers who used to do raster interrupts in the olden 8bit days of the 1980s, will learn this kind of stuff fairly quickly, but some modern programmers will probably stare blankly at these kinds of concepts)

An estimated scan line number can be extrapolated as a time-based offset between two vertical blanking intervals, so no direct GPU access to a raster scanline register is needed, but knowledge of ModeLines is also an asset, so you can get a Vertical Total, to know how many scanlines there are between the vertical blanking intervals (where the last scanline finishes -- bottom edge of screen -- finishes transmitting out of the GPU output, but before the blanking interval that separates refresh cycles)
</Programmer Technical>
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!