In desperate need of some clarification

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
yussquet

In desperate need of some clarification

Post by yussquet » 26 Dec 2020, 00:44

TLDR : Will benQ XL2411P make a difference in motion blur amount compared to AOC G246OVQ6 in Cyberpunk 2077, while playing at 60 to 75 fps ?

Hello, for the last month i've been searching for information about motion blur in general, the reason being that i have a medical condition with basically translates to "10 minutes of intense motion blur = the rest of the day dizzy". The problem here is that i never played in a full hd monitor til this month, and thats when the problem started.

I got an AOC G246OVQ6 which in the beginning was ok, then i started noticing a big blur when i moved my camera around, specially in Cyberpunk 2077. I searched for good monitors to play in 60 to 75hz (since RTX 2060 cant get much more than thatin this game) and got benQ XL2411P as a good option, but then i saw the nirvana guide to ex CRT users that stated that Cyberpunk was a special case, in which i needed to get a 240hz monitor with good 60hz strobe if i recall correctely.

So my question is : should i buy the benQ or is it not gonna make a difference in Cyberpunk 2077 at all ?

ELK

Re: In desperate need of some clarification

Post by ELK » 26 Dec 2020, 12:54

I'm sure you're familiar with response time then. The VESA standard for response time is 90%. Some monitors with 1ms response time may have a 10ms 100% response time. Some may have a 2ms 100% response time. If I'm not mistaken rtings tests 100% response time. If they have reviewed these monitors that information would be available.

Have you tried backlight strobing technologies? Have you ever used CRT monitors? The blur buster approved monitor has the first strobing mode that so good I only use it in strobed mode. That's because the strobe crosstalk is so low.

I'm quoting chief blur buster on this one. He said it is the best strobed monitor for under 1000$ he's ever seen. Ever since he said that I've been dying to know what he's seen that's better...

ELK

Post by ELK » 26 Dec 2020, 13:06

The BenQ XL2441P had a 100% response time of 26.2ms

Best Overdrive Setting
High
Rise / Fall Time
2.6 ms
Total Response Time
26.2 ms
Overshoot Error
11.7 %
Dark Rise / Fall Time
1.9 ms
Dark Total Response Time
20.1 ms
Dark Overshoot Error
14.8 %

The AOC G246OVQ6 has not been tested by rtings.

Strobed monitors require extremely good response time to not look horrible while strobed. The blur busters approved xg270 had a 100% repsonse time of 8.6ms. This monitor being an IPS I assume there may be a TN beating it.
XG270
Best Overdrive Setting
Fast
Rise / Fall Time
5.1 ms
Total Response Time
8.6 ms
Overshoot Error
0 %
Dark Rise / Fall Time
5.5 ms
Dark Total Response Time
8.8 ms
Dark Overshoot Error
0.0 %

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/mo ... 0will%20be.

HERE IT IS a link to list of monitors that you can sort by total response time. Keep in mind that these are only screens that have been tested by RTINGS.

I'm still going to highly suggest you try out strobed backlight technology which hides the bluring.

yussquet

Post by yussquet » 26 Dec 2020, 14:58

Thanks for both replies, unfortunately i do not have acess to the XG270 since i'm from Brazil, nor have ways to buy it on eBay because of taxes and whatnot, it gets really expensive, i'm still doubting buying the BenQ one but since the AOC that i have is not even listed on tests i really don't know if its worth it, all i know is that this AOC model don't have any anti blur/strobing related features. I Will look further on the Rtings list to see if i can find a good one that i can buy here