Acer XB273U GX (270Hz 1440p IPS) review

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ax111

Re: Acer XB273U GX (270Hz 1440p IPS) review

Post by ax111 » 15 Jan 2021, 16:12

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 15:45
From a bug perspective, this is interesting/unusual from an engineering POV.

A high Black Boost value must have created a bug in the LCD inversion algorithm (supposed to prevent LCD image retention) and/or excessive pixel drive voltages.

Acer should modify their QA test procedure to include
1. Set Black Boost to maximum
2. Display stationary content for an hour.
3. Go to other screens to observe the artifacts.

Hey Chief,

I think you are replying to me? But my comment requires approval so it looks like you're talking to yourself :D

Anyway, what do you think the chances are of Acer correcting this with a firmware update?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Jan 2021, 16:33

ax111 wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 16:12
I think you are replying to me? But my comment requires approval so it looks like you're talking to yourself :D
Sometimes, Manufacturers read these forums to figure out what to improve in future models, so I was adding this for general.

As longtime readers here are aware, I work with manufacturers -- e.g. consulting services on strobe backlights, to things like the Blur Busters Approved programme (being post-COVID relaunched as Version 2.0 with several models in the queue). It is the Blur Busters Forum Way that I throw in random technical critique to threads.
ax111 wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 16:12
Anyway, what do you think the chances are of Acer correcting this with a firmware update?
Hard to say at this moment. Hopefully.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

spacerocktraveler

Post by spacerocktraveler » 15 Jan 2021, 18:31

Mine also has a September MFR date & I while I don't have dead pixels or the retention issue, I either have some blb or "ips glow". Not enough to make me want to return it as given the monitor is 27" and I'm sitting fairly close while playing fps games, I'm not sure if it's one or the other and it doesn't deter from my experience much. WHAT DOES bother me is the brightness. I think it's brighter than the xb271hu I replaced & I have to set the brightness low & use VRB at normal & sometimes extreme. I do some work on this monitor along with 2 other tn(benq) panels to the side and above when working in excel & if left in hdr mode from watching something, it has already and does cause some strain on my eyes.

For gaming though - Damn it's smooth like butter. The responsiveness of it is new to me as before I thought little tiny micro-stutters and delays were the fault of my computer & now I'm considering perhaps they were the fault of the displays. I do think a year or so from now I'll probably make the switch to something massive like a 50+ inch screen for my desktop but for now this thing is great.

...I will say. With an older 2540 armed just above this, I'm sometimes tempted to play with it when playing valorant or overwatch. I think it's just TN technology vs IPS with my preference still being for TN. I'd prefer it over IPS & if Benq was to make the equivalent of this, I'd jump in a second without any care of what colors and angles I'd be losing. That said, this monitor is fast and ghosting isn't an issue. I see more than I would with the TN but still, it's just the feel & the rest of the science I don't understand behind that.

StuckIn2003

Post by StuckIn2003 » 15 Jan 2021, 20:07

spacerocktraveler wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 18:31
Mine also has a September MFR date & I while I don't have dead pixels or the retention issue, I either have some blb or "ips glow". Not enough to make me want to return it as given the monitor is 27" and I'm sitting fairly close while playing fps games, I'm not sure if it's one or the other and it doesn't deter from my experience much. WHAT DOES bother me is the brightness. I think it's brighter than the xb271hu I replaced & I have to set the brightness low & use VRB at normal & sometimes extreme. I do some work on this monitor along with 2 other tn(benq) panels to the side and above when working in excel & if left in hdr mode from watching something, it has already and does cause some strain on my eyes.

For gaming though - Damn it's smooth like butter. The responsiveness of it is new to me as before I thought little tiny micro-stutters and delays were the fault of my computer & now I'm considering perhaps they were the fault of the displays. I do think a year or so from now I'll probably make the switch to something massive like a 50+ inch screen for my desktop but for now this thing is great.

...I will say. With an older 2540 armed just above this, I'm sometimes tempted to play with it when playing valorant or overwatch. I think it's just TN technology vs IPS with my preference still being for TN. I'd prefer it over IPS & if Benq was to make the equivalent of this, I'd jump in a second without any care of what colors and angles I'd be losing. That said, this monitor is fast and ghosting isn't an issue. I see more than I would with the TN but still, it's just the feel & the rest of the science I don't understand behind that.
So my takeaway from your statement is that while you feel the monitor delivers value you still feel there is something more responsive from TN panels?

ax111

Post by ax111 » 15 Jan 2021, 20:50

StuckIn2003 wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 20:07
So my takeaway from your statement is that while you feel the monitor delivers value you still feel there is something more responsive from TN panels?
I came from a 144hz TN panel, this panel is sooo much smoother. Especially when I can drive the frames way high like in CSGO. I do however notice the IPS glow. Trying my best to move past it and just accept it as one of the downsides of IPS technology.

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 16 Jan 2021, 12:18

IPS need FALD for good image quality. Inside expensive gaming monitors, like this Acer XB273U GX and higher prices, is a must be. Here are pictures of ASUS PG27UQ 27" IPS 4K 144Hz FALD On/Off in dark room 100% brightness, Glow reduction is massive.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comme ... _ips_glow/

Let's hope FALD mass production start soon, and manufacturers race to more FALD zones, like currently with refreshrate.

From the HDR fashion viewpoint, absence of deep black, but claim the monitor has HDR, independently of max. nits level, is very dissappointing. Black is the base from where high quality SDR and HDR must be constructed.

spacerocktraveler

Post by spacerocktraveler » 17 Jan 2021, 03:30

ax111 wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 20:50
StuckIn2003 wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 20:07
I came from a 144hz TN panel, this panel is sooo much smoother. Especially when I can drive the frames way high like in CSGO. I do however notice the IPS glow. Trying my best to move past it and just accept it as one of the downsides of IPS technology.
Simply put, yes, I think so.

StuckIn2003

Post by StuckIn2003 » 18 Jan 2021, 17:19

I ended up getting the ACER Nitro XV272U Xb, which is essentially the same monitor without predator branding. I posted my thoughts below in my thread searching for a top counter-strike monitor. If I can answer any questions on this similar monitor let me know.

viewtopic.php?p=62879#p62879

barranquilla

Post by barranquilla » 28 Apr 2021, 05:52

Hi guys,
I bought the monitor and for the Moment i dont have any kind of issues with it. There is one thing. I have 2 Monitors. While gaming i switch from the game to the second one to browse the web, when i do this with Alt+Tab the Monitor goes all dark for 5 seconds before going back to normal. What can be the Problem.

Thnxs in advance.

spankjamer

Post by spankjamer » 02 May 2021, 06:10

I could get the AW2721D for 680 vs 850 for the XB273U GX. Do you think it is worth spending the extra 170 for the Acer or should I go with the Alienware? A better response time, 100% Adobe RGB vs 85% and ULMB sound very enticing.