Need advices to buy a new monitor that won't strain my eyes

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Lirykard

Need advices to buy a new monitor that won't strain my eyes

Post by Lirykard » 28 Dec 2020, 10:43

Hello,
thank you for this awesome forum, it's really a gold mine of usefull informations about monitors technology !

I'd like to purchase a new monitor, 1440p 27" 144hz+ gsync compatible, i don't know about the size.

I've recently bought the samsung odyssey g7, it was really awesome at first but then i've had issues with it, eye fatigue, headaches, urge to look away, theses issues were prevalent when i was watching static content and reading.
Gaming session didn't seem to affect me this way.

I've not been able to solve this issue tweaking the settings, even at 0 brightness and wearing anti blue light gogles i still had problems after a while when i was browsing internet, it felt like everything on the screen began to be glowing, like everything was just too bright, really awefull experience ...

My previous monitors never gave me any issues, i've had a Packard bell maestro 234dl and a Iiyama G-MASTER GE2488HS-B1, all 1080p 60 hz tn panels, the contrast and colors are not great but they are flawless to me regarding eye fatigue.

The g7 had some issues, some flickering in games that has been fixed with the firmware update, however it didn't fix the scanlines visible on some tones of colors like the blue background on the monitors subreddit, it also had a slight coil whine, scan lines on the whole screen as well as brightness flicker in pixel inversion scenarios.

I'm not sure if my eyes strained because of these particular issues or because of something else relative to the g7 panel itself.
I don't know if maybe 27" is too big for my desktop, i'm currently sitting at a viewing distance of 23 - 27 inch.
I've read a lot of information here about the different issues with monitors motion blur technology but there are so many model choices available in the range of specs i'm looking to.
If someone could pinpoint where the issue would come from, it could help me to find an eye strain free replacement !