Please help me find a monitor I can use

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Lelole

Please help me find a monitor I can use

Post by Lelole » 30 Dec 2020, 15:45

Hi, I’ve more recently started using a computer more since my job has changed.

I have some kind of neurological issue which means my vision gets bothered by light and certain patterns. So I get visual distortions with some kinds of screens and also get migraines too. Mostly I need the brightness quite low, but with some screens even with low brightness I still have problems.

I’ve had a 2016 MacBook Pro for quite a while and that can be quite problematic, so I did a bit of research on MacBook Pro causing migraines, and found out about PWM and flicker, so I decided to opt to get a desktop and monitor now I’m working more with computers. I got a Mac mini (I’m fully into the Apple ecosystem :oops: ) and started with a BenQ monitor (GW2480) which didn’t feel comfortable at all. So I then went for a Philips - 272B7QUPBEB/00 because it seemed higher quality and adjustable, but it was awful! So so bright, even brighter when the low blue light setting was on, and just too uncomfortable, so that’s going back.

(In case it’s helpful to work out what’s going on, I find my iPad Pro 10.5 inch awful as well)

So I’m hoping for 3rd time lucky, and since I don’t have a clue what’s causing the problem, I don’t know what to look for and what to avoid... I’d be so grateful for some guidance.

Thanks

rasmas

Re: Please help me find a monitor I can use

Post by rasmas » 01 Jan 2021, 11:19

A test i would do, if you could, is try to find an OLED screen and try there. They are too big but i think it can be an starting point to know if they hurt you too, as many (not all) feels better with OLED than with LCDs.

Anyway, what i mean is that try to find a screen that does not hurt your eyes and work from there. In example some people feel comfortable with old (big) CRTs, and also with old LCDs people feel better that with new ones, no idea why but i constantly see comments about this.

Unfortunatelly i think the best is to try monitors yourself to see if one is ok. I think maybe someday we should do a list with monitors that do not hurt our eyes just to have somewhere to start, but not sure if they can be the same for all.

Good luck ;) .