MSI Optix Mag251rx or Odyssey G7???

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Olmerious

MSI Optix Mag251rx or Odyssey G7???

Post by Olmerious » 08 Jan 2021, 10:02

Hello there. Yes I know my title is strange comparing apples and oranges, but, the issue here, is that I wanted to get a new monitor and, for some reason, all monitors here in my country have inflated prices like the MSI costs between 550$ and 600$, which is normal here, EXCEPT that the G7 is the only monitor here with a seemingly normal price between 600$ and 650$ which begs the question why the G7' price is the only exception to all other monitors here??? Could the models here be refurbished? Is there a different, though worse model here in my country?

Now myself, I would have choosen the MSI anyway, except for the fact that its price is very close to G7 with each one having their perks and cons:

Reasons I would go for the G7:
- Having 1440p for almost the same price.
- Having better value here in my country
- Larger 27 inch screen
- Seems to be the chosen VA panel with the speed of TN and the qualtiy of VA, though with much less smearing and ghosting etc.

Reasons I would go for the MSI:
- The 1080p resolution may be better in the long run for my mid range rtx 2060 super and I am not planning to upgrade anytime soon. And even when I upgrade I usually buy mid range gpus and cpus, so would 1440p hurt me in the long run?
- Seemingly more consistent gaming specs like response time, input lag etc.
- G7 is after all a VA panel which used to have bad reputation with the gaming culture with their ghosting, BLB and smearing and while the G7 seems to have non of the issues of VA, however, there are still some reviews and comments about it that say otherwise. MSI, however, has the tried and trusted IPS panel with its superior colors and seemingly as good quality as the G7 without its issues; and not much contrast loss as the G7 seems to have a mediocre contrast ratio, when compared with other VA monitors.
- I really never had a curved monitor before and don't know if I will like it, but the pictures of it worry me a bit.
- The G7 price is kinda too good to be true and this worries me a lot.

Note: I usually don't play much AAA lately and I play mostly competitve games with some indie games in breaks but I was never a tryhard esports gamer in any meaningful way just an average one.

Also it would help if someone could tell me which brand has better QC as the customer service isn't that great here. Would appreciate comments from people who already bought those monitors and would like to know their impressions about them. Sorry for the long wall of text.