Looking for: best 27" 240hz+ counter-strike monitor

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
sk1p

Re: Looking for: best 27" 240hz+ counter-strike monitor

Post by sk1p » 16 Jan 2021, 01:55

StuckIn2003 wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 19:56
sk1p wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 09:21
StuckIn2003 wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 10:31
Hi, thank you both for your reply. I play 1.6 (hence stuckin2003 :)) mainly on 27" 640x480 black bars on my OMEN 27i. Like I said, on the extreme setting I can get it close to feeling like my VG248QE but it has motion issues from time to time. I completely agree with you sk1p, something about the VG248QE feels so snappy and responsive. Playing the same game for nearly 20 years it is not something that is just in my head. Like you, I went from CRT to the VG248QE.

After seeing some of the issues with the ACER/Alienware I am more nervous to pull the trigger on an bleeding edge tech IPS until more detailed response time reviews come out. I'm also considering the XL2746S and VG279QM which are 27" but 1080p.

I will keep you guys updated!
I played 1.6 from 2003 to 2016, moving to CS GO was hard for me)), but for the test I launched cs1.6 and I always played 640*480 and as for me it's was normanl quality on Asus vg248qe, but on 27 panel is not playable)) sharp edges catch my eyes) (or idk how can I said it in English as it not my native :D)
640x480 for life!! I don't have any issue with 27" other than the motion handling which is challenging. Right now I'm sacrificing that for better tap feeling with sensitive guns like AK/deagle + AWP fast shooting as soon as the awp delay ends. Those guns I'm really sensitive to after nearly 20+ years and can feel it.
One thing I want to add about 1.6 that I started to play from WinXP where feeling of mouse with CRT monitors and 125Hz was incredible, I only used on WindowsXP to remove accel this: -noforcemparms -noforcemspd -noforcemaccel (still remember :D) , but from windows7 and involving m_rawinput 1 in game(it was added in 2012 as I remember) mouse feeling was completely broken and for the best experience I still used rinput + m_rawinput 0 which Carn mentioned in this video https://youtu.be/rgN6zEPNb1Y?t=1134

StuckIn2003

Post by StuckIn2003 » 16 Jan 2021, 17:57

sk1p wrote:
16 Jan 2021, 01:55
StuckIn2003 wrote:
sk1p wrote:
StuckIn2003 wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 10:31
Hi, thank you both for your reply. I play 1.6 (hence stuckin2003 :)) mainly on 27" 640x480 black bars on my OMEN 27i. Like I said, on the extreme setting I can get it close to feeling like my VG248QE but it has motion issues from time to time. I completely agree with you sk1p, something about the VG248QE feels so snappy and responsive. Playing the same game for nearly 20 years it is not something that is just in my head. Like you, I went from CRT to the VG248QE.

After seeing some of the issues with the ACER/Alienware I am more nervous to pull the trigger on an bleeding edge tech IPS until more detailed response time reviews come out. I'm also considering the XL2746S and VG279QM which are 27" but 1080p.

I will keep you guys updated!
I played 1.6 from 2003 to 2016, moving to CS GO was hard for me)), but for the test I launched cs1.6 and I always played 640*480 and as for me it's was normanl quality on Asus vg248qe, but on 27 panel is not playable)) sharp edges catch my eyes) (or idk how can I said it in English as it not my native :D)
640x480 for life!! I don't have any issue with 27" other than the motion handling which is challenging. Right now I'm sacrificing that for better tap feeling with sensitive guns like AK/deagle + AWP fast shooting as soon as the awp delay ends. Those guns I'm really sensitive to after nearly 20+ years and can feel it.
One thing I want to add about 1.6 that I started to play from WinXP where feeling of mouse with CRT monitors and 125Hz was incredible, I only used on WindowsXP to remove accel this: -noforcemparms -noforcemspd -noforcemaccel (still remember :D) , but from windows7 and involving m_rawinput 1 in game(it was added in 2012 as I remember) mouse feeling was completely broken and for the best experience I still used rinput + m_rawinput 0 which Carn mentioned in this video https://youtu.be/rgN6zEPNb1Y?t=1134
I believe this was a vista bug and is not around anymore. I used a similar program called mousefix back in the day.

https://play.esea.net/downloads/8

I use the same launch options to remove acceleration and am pretty happy with the smoothness. I ended up buying the Acer Nitro XV272U Xb off amazon since I'll be able to return it if there are any issues. I'll keep you all updated on how it feels for hardcore fps!

ax111

Post by ax111 » 16 Jan 2021, 22:58

Figured I would chime in here since it sounds like we're pretty similar. I've played CS since the beta in 1999. I am hyper sensitive to monitor performance. When I switch from a CRT to an LCD screen in ~2006, I realized I made a huge mistake due to the performance of LCDs at that time. I ran that monitor at a lower res so that I could run it at 75hz. I bought the very first 120hz panel (Viewsonic VX2268wm) that hit the market in 2009.

Bought a 144hz 24" Gsync AOC monitor in 2015. And for the past year or so I've just been itching soooo bad to upgrade to 1440p 27". One requirement I had was that it had to be at least 240hz. So I opted for the Acer Predator XB273U GX.

The XB273U GX feels amazing in CS, it is so buttery smooth. I was honestly kind of surprised. I was concerned moving from a TN panel to an IPS but I can assure you, IPS panels are not like they used to be. I used to run a strange resolution but after seeing CS at 1440p and seeing how well it performs, I think I am just going to stick with native res from now on. So if you're concerned about how responsive these new IPS panels are, don't be. They are amazing and the response times are incredible.

Two things I will say about the XB273U GX: Image retention is a known issue. Looks like the issue can be induced by increasing the black boost past 8 or so. Chief suggested this might be fixed by a firmware update, lets hope. I don't think the image retention issue will be a problem if you are not running a high black boost. Also, the image retention goes away quickly once the black boost is backed down. Second thing: IPS Glow. It is a thing, and it is something I am having to get used to coming from a lifetime of TN panels. It isn't terrible, but I do notice it in dark scenes. This is not a problem in CSGO, but in a game like Tarkov, it might stand out.

Hope that helps

sk1p

Post by sk1p » 17 Jan 2021, 00:29

StuckIn2003 wrote:
16 Jan 2021, 17:57
sk1p wrote:
StuckIn2003 wrote:
sk1p wrote:

I believe this was a vista bug and is not around anymore. I used a similar program called mousefix back in the day.

I use the same launch options to remove acceleration and am pretty happy with the smoothness. I ended up buying the Acer Nitro XV272U Xb off amazon since I'll be able to return it if there are any issues. I'll keep you all updated on how it feels for hardcore fps!
Do you mean this mouse fix still working for Windows 10 ? (interesting, I will try it for CS GO if so)

Yep, Acer Nitro XV272U Xb with 240hz and 2k, IPS very interesting for me too, but out of my budget :D

ax111

Post by ax111 » 17 Jan 2021, 00:33

sk1p wrote:
17 Jan 2021, 00:29
StuckIn2003 wrote:
sk1p wrote:
StuckIn2003 wrote:

Do you mean this mouse fix still working for Windows 10 ? (interesting, I will try it for CS GO if so)

Yep, Acer Nitro XV272U Xb with 240hz and 2k, IPS very interesting for me too, but out of my budget :D
Mousefix is not needed. Just use the raw input option in CSGO, it is in the settings menu. Or you can set it with m_rawinput 1 in console.

sk1p

Post by sk1p » 17 Jan 2021, 08:11

ax111 wrote:
17 Jan 2021, 00:33
sk1p wrote:
17 Jan 2021, 00:29
StuckIn2003 wrote:
sk1p wrote:

Mousefix is not needed. Just use the raw input option in CSGO, it is in the settings menu. Or you can set it with m_rawinput 1 in console.
I know) but in-game CS rawinput for me has strange implementation as for old gamer from windows XP and crt monitors, like it has m_filter 1 included.

StuckIn2003

Post by StuckIn2003 » 17 Jan 2021, 09:10

ax111 wrote:
16 Jan 2021, 22:58
Figured I would chime in here since it sounds like we're pretty similar. I've played CS since the beta in 1999. I am hyper sensitive to monitor performance. When I switch from a CRT to an LCD screen in ~2006, I realized I made a huge mistake due to the performance of LCDs at that time. I ran that monitor at a lower res so that I could run it at 75hz. I bought the very first 120hz panel (Viewsonic VX2268wm) that hit the market in 2009.

Bought a 144hz 24" Gsync AOC monitor in 2015. And for the past year or so I've just been itching soooo bad to upgrade to 1440p 27". One requirement I had was that it had to be at least 240hz. So I opted for the Acer Predator XB273U GX.

The XB273U GX feels amazing in CS, it is so buttery smooth. I was honestly kind of surprised. I was concerned moving from a TN panel to an IPS but I can assure you, IPS panels are not like they used to be. I used to run a strange resolution but after seeing CS at 1440p and seeing how well it performs, I think I am just going to stick with native res from now on. So if you're concerned about how responsive these new IPS panels are, don't be. They are amazing and the response times are incredible.

Two things I will say about the XB273U GX: Image retention is a known issue. Looks like the issue can be induced by increasing the black boost past 8 or so. Chief suggested this might be fixed by a firmware update, lets hope. I don't think the image retention issue will be a problem if you are not running a high black boost. Also, the image retention goes away quickly once the black boost is backed down. Second thing: IPS Glow. It is a thing, and it is something I am having to get used to coming from a lifetime of TN panels. It isn't terrible, but I do notice it in dark scenes. This is not a problem in CSGO, but in a game like Tarkov, it might stand out.

Hope that helps
Thanks for your input. Im glad you're of a similar use case and feel its buttery smooth. I ended up pulling the Acer Nitro XV272U Xb trigger because:

-My Omen 27i motion blur is playable but annoying - I spend too much time on CS to deal with that
-Motion handling settings
-black boost
-1440p fits in with my work from home life
-OC to 270hz
-Gamma setting

I considered the x 27 OMEN and the alienware, but the x27 had less features + TN for similar price. The Alienware was comparable but more expensive. Impatiently waiting for this to ship on Amazon!

ax111

Post by ax111 » 17 Jan 2021, 13:59

StuckIn2003 wrote:
17 Jan 2021, 09:10

Thanks for your input. Im glad you're of a similar use case and feel its buttery smooth. I ended up pulling the Acer Nitro XV272U Xb trigger because:

-My Omen 27i motion blur is playable but annoying - I spend too much time on CS to deal with that
-black boost
-OC to 270hz
-Gamma setting

I considered the x 27 OMEN and the alienware, but the x27 had less features + TN for similar price. The Alienware was comparable but more expensive. Impatiently waiting for this to ship on Amazon!
From my understanding, the Acer Nitro XV272U Xb is essentially the same as the Acer Predator XB273U GX, so I think you'll really like it, especially for CS. Enjoy!

StuckIn2003

Post by StuckIn2003 » 17 Jan 2021, 15:06

ax111 wrote:
17 Jan 2021, 13:59
StuckIn2003 wrote:
17 Jan 2021, 09:10

-black boost
-OC to 270hz
-Gamma setting

From my understanding, the Acer Nitro XV272U Xb is essentially the same as the Acer Predator XB273U GX, so I think you'll really like it, especially for CS. Enjoy!
That's right! and now Amazon says it will be delivered tomorrow beating their estimate delivery date by 5 days! I'll hopefully have an initial impression post by Tuesday on response and feel compared to my 27i omen

StuckIn2003

Post by StuckIn2003 » 18 Jan 2021, 17:13

My Acer Nitro XV272U Xb https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/m ... .HX2AA.X03 https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XV272U-Xbmi ... B08M6B6T1H came in today but I only had about 30 mins to get an initial impression.

To re-baseline, I'm coming from a 165hz 27" Omen 27i. I have very high expectations and first impressions I was thoroughly impressed. I was worried I wouldnt notice a big improvement from 165hz but I definitely do!!

The good:
-I'll eventually get this on an arm but the stand was very easy to put together and attach the monitor
-It came with a calibration report print out. I did notice how nice the colors looked and was impressed. This isn't something that usually catches my eye, I'm more about feel and performance.
-Immediately on loading CS, I could notice a much smoother experience. Even just moving around felt smoother
-In game shooting felt so snappy and butter smooth. I put overdrive to extreme along with the motion handling setting. I did not get any noticeable overshoot like on the omen 27i. Textures on maps did not look like a psychedelic experience. It was such a smooth and stable experience in a hectic deathmatch server. I loaded a few different maps to be sure of the textures and all were perfect thus far
-The smoothness even applied to scrolling on web pages, it was so much smoother
-My first time using a black equalizer type setting and it does help out in some spots like d2 CT spawn, nuke vents, and nuke window by ladder
-OSD is easy to use and the Acer display widget can give you some of the controls in an app
-Overclock to 270hz as easy as changing overclock to yes in the OSD!

The bad:
-Unfortunately, this is a worrisome one. Upon setting the black boost to 10, a few minutes later I noticed a screen door effect like you see on some OLED panels. When I logged in to steam I noticed the login screen was burned in because it was static as I configured the monitor. I toggled the black boost back down and then back up and both disappeared. Thanks for that guidance given on this website.

I'll need to monitor that, but overall the monitor definitely performs and agree with ax111 that it feels amazing. I was worried it wouldn't be much of an upgrade but it is on another level of performance. I'll post further details in a day or two. Let me know if I can help answer any questions you may have!