Acer xb271hu - Is this strobe crosstalk?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
fluidz

Acer xb271hu - Is this strobe crosstalk?

Post by fluidz » 10 Jan 2021, 19:31

Hello there,

According to this link - https://blurbusters.com/faq/advanced-st ... stalk-faq/ it seems my monitor may be suffering from bad crosstalk? Or bad pixel response time? When I scroll a webpage quickly with the scrollwheel (or via the scrollbar), light text on a dark background doubles (ghosts badly) and it makes it look like there are horizontal lines flickering through text. It also happens when scrolling dark text on a light background but the issue isn't as bad. I have the monitor set to overdrive : normal, but adjusting the overdrive value does not help. Ajusting the refresh rate from 144hz to 60hz, kinda helps but doesn't completely fix the issue. The higher the refresh rate the worst it shows.

Can you see what appears to be a horizontal black line flickering through the white text in the Gif below? Focus on the words "Multiple Displays" and "Notication Area". There is a gap in between the original text and the ghost text, and both are almost identical in brightness. It looks really bad to my eyes :shock: This is in the taskbar settings in Windows 10, dark mode enabled. Mouse settings : Skip 3 lines at a time. Scrolling up and down with the scrollwheel of my Razer Deathadder elite mouse.

120fps Video recording - https://streamable.com/lkuja3

When I'm gaming, with Gsync off, Vsync on, when I move the camera around, those tiny stutters from the framerate not matching the refreshrate are making ghosting appear worst. I cannot play a game with Gsync off otherwise I see lots of ghosting. I have to make sure I'm either hitting 144fps (144hz) or Gsync is on to mitigate the problem.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen a similar issue with their own monitor? I do not see this issue with a much older Asus pb278q monitor (60hz,pls,pwm). I do not recall my monitor always doing this, I've owned the monitor for a couple of years, this issue has been bothering me for a few months now. I'm trying to find out the exact name of the issue, some people are saying slow response time, but I have asked a couple of other people who own this monitor and they say they do not see the same issue with theirs.

Scrolling the Xbox app in Windows 10

Scrolling Windows taskbar settings with darkmode enabled

Ghosting test - https://www.testufo.com/ghosting

Ufo test : Cross strobetalk, 1200 pixels/sec, 144hz - https://www.testufo.com/crosstalk#pps=1 ... &pursuit=0

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Acer xb271hu - Is this strobe crosstalk?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Jan 2021, 20:48

No, this is not strobe crosstalk
Your monitor is not in strobe mode. XB271HU doesn't support 144Hz motion blur reduction strobe backlight, so this can't possibly be strobe crosstalk.

This is probably:
(A) Ghosting from slow GtG -- www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-motion-artifacts
--combined with--
(B) Stroboscopic Effect -- www.blurbusters.com/stroboscopics
fluidz wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 19:31
Hello there,

According to this link - https://blurbusters.com/faq/advanced-st ... stalk-faq/ it seems my monitor may be suffering from bad crosstalk? Or bad pixel response time? When I scroll a webpage quickly with the scrollwheel (or via the scrollbar), light text on a dark background doubles (ghosts badly) and it makes it look like there are horizontal lines flickering through text. It also happens when scrolling dark text on a light background but the issue isn't as bad. I have the monitor set to overdrive : normal, but adjusting the overdrive value does not help. Ajusting the refresh rate from 144hz to 60hz, kinda helps but doesn't completely fix the issue. The higher the refresh rate the worst it shows.

Can you see what appears to be a horizontal black line flickering through the white text in the Gif below? Focus on the words "Multiple Displays" and "Notication Area". There is a gap in between the original text and the ghost text, and both are almost identical in brightness. It looks really bad to my eyes :shock: This is in the taskbar settings in Windows 10, dark mode enabled. Mouse settings : Skip 3 lines at a time. Scrolling up and down with the scrollwheel of my Razer Deathadder elite mouse.
First, it's hard to tell, but you may have 2 separate problems affecting you, and these photos don't give me enough information to separate the 2 problems yet.

First, your LCD is an older slower-GtG IPS LCD. I recommend much faster GtG for high-Hz, and your IPS LCD is one of the slower 144 Hz LCDs on the market.

Now, separately of GtG, there is often a stroboscopic effect of finite frame rates.
This is a cousin of the mousearrow stroboscopic effect at www.testufo.com/stroboscopics ... Very bad ghosting will amplify the visibility of the stroboscopic effect, so ghosting can make this more visible. Much like moving a mouse arrow on an old 1990s laptop, slow GtG can amplify the trail effect (mouse trails, text trails, motion trails, etc). Slow GtG pixel response indeed makes this much more visible.

How long have you had this? Did it progressively degrade over time? Or did you recently get this.

Faster GtG and increased refresh rate (240Hz, 360Hz) will decrease the visibility of the stroboscopic effect. An LCD too slow GtG for its refresh rate, will tend to produce this amplified text trailing effect, the ghosting is really bad.

The XB271HU is an older 4ms-GtG 144 Hz IPS LCD. There is not enough information to determine whether this is normal or not, but I would recommend upgrading to a more modern IPS LCD 1ms-GtG.

As an interim measure, try lowering your refresh rate to 100Hz or 120Hz and enabling NVIDIA "ULMB" in the monitor menus. See if the text trailing effects reduces during browser scrolling.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ELK

Post by ELK » 10 Jan 2021, 20:59

yeah that's just poor response time. Like most specs "standards" response time is almost useless. It's dark grey to light grey to dark grey. (and or vise versa)? for 90% transition. The most logical test for response time would be black to white to black with 100% transition. Your monitor has fortunately been tested by rtings. It is rated a 7.1/10 and has a total pixel response time of 17.4ms.

The best setting to reduce ghosting/coronas is off. This is their quote on your monitor "The Acer Predator XB271HU has a decent response time when using the 'Off' overdrive setting. The 'Normal' setting has a much faster response time, but there's more noticeable overshoot. We don't recommend using 'OD Extreme', as it introduces significant and easily visible overshoot artifacts behind moving objects." For your clarification overshoot is when it goes past the correct color. It gets to the correct color faster but goes past it to the wrong color then goes back to the correct color. How do you think response time is measured? yep by how fast it gets to the right color even if it actually takes WAY longer to actually get there goes it zoomed right past it. Definitely set your OD to off.

Most panels are pushing themselves really hard at max refresh rate but I noticed you're using 144 and not 165 so that may be helping.

Your old monitor the pb278q has a total pixel response time of 6.1ms and is rated 10/10 by RTINGS. Here is a quote from rtings "'Trace Free 60' was the most balanced overdrive setting; '80' was also very good, making the response time a little faster but also adding a bit more overshoot. Those who don't mind overshoot artifacts may prefer 'Trace Free 80', but most people will be better served by '60'."

edit: the ratings are for motion blur not for the monitor overall.

fluidz

Post by fluidz » 13 Jan 2021, 19:28

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 20:48
No, this is not strobe crosstalk
Your monitor is not in strobe mode. XB271HU doesn't support 144Hz motion blur reduction strobe backlight, so this can't possibly be strobe crosstalk.

This is probably:
(A) Ghosting from slow GtG -- www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-motion-artifacts
--combined with--
(B) Stroboscopic Effect -- www.blurbusters.com/stroboscopics
fluidz wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 19:31
Hello there,

First, it's hard to tell, but you may have 2 separate problems affecting you, and these photos don't give me enough information to separate the 2 problems yet.

First, your LCD is an older slower-GtG IPS LCD. I recommend much faster GtG for high-Hz, and your IPS LCD is one of the slower 144 Hz LCDs on the market.

Now, separately of GtG, there is often a stroboscopic effect of finite frame rates.
This is a cousin of the mousearrow stroboscopic effect at www.testufo.com/stroboscopics ... Very bad ghosting will amplify the visibility of the stroboscopic effect, so ghosting can make this more visible. Much like moving a mouse arrow on an old 1990s laptop, slow GtG can amplify the trail effect (mouse trails, text trails, motion trails, etc). Slow GtG pixel response indeed makes this much more visible.

How long have you had this? Did it progressively degrade over time? Or did you recently get this.

Faster GtG and increased refresh rate (240Hz, 360Hz) will decrease the visibility of the stroboscopic effect. An LCD too slow GtG for its refresh rate, will tend to produce this amplified text trailing effect, the ghosting is really bad.

The XB271HU is an older 4ms-GtG 144 Hz IPS LCD. There is not enough information to determine whether this is normal or not, but I would recommend upgrading to a more modern IPS LCD 1ms-GtG.

As an interim measure, try lowering your refresh rate to 100Hz or 120Hz and enabling NVIDIA "ULMB" in the monitor menus. See if the text trailing effects reduces during browser scrolling.

Heya,

I originally thought it may be strobe crosstalk, as there seems to be multiple copies of the ufo on screen at once (2 copies).

Since upgrading from a 60hz monitor to my first high refresh rate, 100hz Acer 34a monitor, I noticed a white strikethrough effect through black text when I scrolled the windows start menu, never seeing this happen before I put it down to a faulty monitor (it appeared that way at first) but after heading to the local computer store I noticed it on 2 other high refresh rate monitors, and also on the monitor I'm using now, the Xb271hu. Since Windows introduced dark mode, I instantly noticed that scrolling light text on a dark background when using the scroll wheel (skipping multiple lines) can look equally as bad as screen tearing, every word appears to have a strikethough, and the contrast between the text and strikethrough (very light/very dark) catches the eye. Since then I see this issue almost everywhere in the OS.

I have tried switching through every refresh rate that my monitor supports, including 100hz, 120hz, and ulmb, the issue is there at 165hz, and all the way down to 60hz. Although at 60hz its much harder to see due to the lower framerate. I can still see a faint strikethrough, but it doesn't bother me.

Have you ever noticed what appears to be a strikethrough through text when scrolling high contrast pages with the mousewheel when using slower panels in your tests in the past? I've asked around the internet and after asking others to try and reproduce what I see, even others with the same panel, I can't believe how uncommon (it seems) this is.

If there are any tests you recommend, to narrow down what the issue is, I'm up for trying them out.

Thanks.
Last edited by fluidz on 13 Jan 2021, 20:10, edited 7 times in total.

fluidz

Post by fluidz » 13 Jan 2021, 19:40

ELK wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 20:59
yeah that's just poor response time. Like most specs "standards" response time is almost useless. It's dark grey to light grey to dark grey. (and or vise versa)? for 90% transition. The most logical test for response time would be black to white to black with 100% transition. Your monitor has fortunately been tested by rtings. It is rated a 7.1/10 and has a total pixel response time of 17.4ms.

The best setting to reduce ghosting/coronas is off. This is their quote on your monitor "The Acer Predator XB271HU has a decent response time when using the 'Off' overdrive setting. The 'Normal' setting has a much faster response time, but there's more noticeable overshoot. We don't recommend using 'OD Extreme', as it introduces significant and easily visible overshoot artifacts behind moving objects." For your clarification overshoot is when it goes past the correct color. It gets to the correct color faster but goes past it to the wrong color then goes back to the correct color. How do you think response time is measured? yep by how fast it gets to the right color even if it actually takes WAY longer to actually get there goes it zoomed right past it. Definitely set your OD to off.

Most panels are pushing themselves really hard at max refresh rate but I noticed you're using 144 and not 165 so that may be helping.

Your old monitor the pb278q has a total pixel response time of 6.1ms and is rated 10/10 by RTINGS. Here is a quote from rtings "'Trace Free 60' was the most balanced overdrive setting; '80' was also very good, making the response time a little faster but also adding a bit more overshoot. Those who don't mind overshoot artifacts may prefer 'Trace Free 80', but most people will be better served by '60'."

edit: the ratings are for motion blur not for the monitor overall.
Hi, I understand where you're coming from with the trace free setting, I noticed this issue when I first picked up the pb278q, spent a good hour looking at the screen thinking where I went wrong and regretting my purchase, and eventually found out the solution myself by ajusting the tf value, I even posted a video on youtube to show others about it at the time and quite a few people were thankful :lol: .

Unfortunately, the overdrive setting on my xb271hu monitor does not have any effect on the strikethrough lines (gaps) I see through text when scrolling. Literally no difference. Off, normal or extreme, regardless of which setting I choose, the only difference i see is a blur/inverted color trailing motion. Overdrive set to normal at 144hz looks best and runing the motion blur test shows that clearly. Only at 60hz is there a visible lime blur behind back lines in motion (looks really bad when moving windows around on the desktop), and setting overdrive to off fixes that (yet as a side effect adds tons of motion blur). Overdrive seems to (although I could be wrong) be working normally on this monitor, to my eye the ufotest shows that at 144hz, overdrive off = ghosting, normal = almost perfect, extreme = coronoas, this is in line what others have said about this monitor on the internet.

When I'm gaming with Gsync enabled, overdrive set to normal, as long as motion is smooth and not skipping frames, there aren't any issues at all with ghosting, coronas or image doubling, 144hz, VRR enabeld and the refresh rate fluctuating up and down from 80 - 120fps (for example) everything looks nice and sharp.

I agree its probably a response time issue but I have asked others with this monitor if they see the same issue and they have all said no, this is why I have resorted to asking here. Perhaps in my case the response time performance of has degraded over time.

Thanks.