ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Keffect450

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Keffect450 » 01 Apr 2024, 08:57

no longer needed
Last edited by Keffect450 on 07 Apr 2024, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.

MURDOCK4.1964

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by MURDOCK4.1964 » 02 Apr 2024, 14:53

Hello! I am a new owner of the XG2431, and I am quite happy with the quality and performance of the monitor thus far. I have a general question regarding the "PureXP" setting. Is there any potential of this setting shortening the lifespan of the panel? I notice that when you turn it on, the "eco" usage automatically reverts to maximum (100%). I tend to replace computer monitors less than average compared to most users so I would like to do everything I can to preserve this monitor as long as possible. Does backlight strobing put more wear and tear on the panel? Sorry for the wordy/potentially confusing question and thanks in advance!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Apr 2024, 15:04

MURDOCK4.1964 wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 14:53
Hello! I am a new owner of the XG2431, and I am quite happy with the quality and performance of the monitor thus far. I have a general question regarding the "PureXP" setting. Is there any potential of this setting shortening the lifespan of the panel? I notice that when you turn it on, the "eco" usage automatically reverts to maximum (100%). I tend to replace computer monitors less than average compared to most users so I would like to do everything I can to preserve this monitor as long as possible. Does backlight strobing put more wear and tear on the panel? Sorry for the wordy/potentially confusing question and thanks in advance!
Not for the XG2431 model specifically.

The voltage boosting on the XG2431 is much more conservative than on several models such as the XL2546. There are some reports of excess voltage boosted strobe backlights causing LED lumens to go down over the long-term, but this hasn't been reported for the XG2431 model. A study by CREE LED found that you can do a 3:1 boost without appreciably wearing the LEDs down, and the XG2431 only does about a 2:1 boost of brightness.

That way, all lighting including backlights/edgelights including CCFL and LEDs do have a finite lifetime -- whether you use strobing or not. Your brightness will slowly go down over the years. Your maximum brightness today might go down by 25% in five years from now, as one example -- this type of wear will occur regardless of whether you use a strobe backlight or not. This applies to all monitors, a screen purchased 10 years ago typically generally is not able to do the same maximum brightness today -- whether CRT, plasma, LCD (regardless of backlight), OLED.

For longest longevity, you may wish to protect your equipment with some power protection such as an uninterruptable power supply with power-surge/conditioning capabilities. That way, grid disruptions is less likely to disrupt your monitor.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 02 Apr 2024, 15:24

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 15:04
MURDOCK4.1964 wrote:

The voltage boosting on the XG2431 is much more conservative than on several models such as the XL2546. There are some reports of excess voltage boosted strobe backlights causing LED lumens to go down over the long-term, but this hasn't been reported for the XG2431 model. A study by CREE LED found that you can do a 3:1 boost without appreciably wearing the LEDs down, and the XG2431 only does about a 2:1 boost of brightness.

That way, all lighting including backlights/edgelights including CCFL and LEDs do have a finite lifetime -- whether you use strobing or not. Your brightness will slowly go down over the years. Your maximum brightness today might go down by 25% in five years from now, as one example -- this type of wear will occur regardless of whether you use a strobe backlight or not. This applies to all monitors, a screen purchased 10 years ago typically generally is not able to do the same maximum brightness today -- whether CRT, plasma, LCD (regardless of backlight), OLED.

For longest longevity, you may wish to protect your equipment with some power protection such as an uninterruptable power supply with power-surge/conditioning capabilities. That way, grid disruptions is less likely to disrupt your monitor.
When did you get a merch store?

MURDOCK4.1964

Post by MURDOCK4.1964 » 02 Apr 2024, 15:42

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 15:04
MURDOCK4.1964 wrote:

Thanks chief! I appreciate the fast and informative response. I am generally pretty conservative with my monitors--I actually have the brightness set to zero on this monitor for productivity use! I will use the PureXP feature without hesitation for gaming purposes as it definitely makes a considerable difference. I imagine the decreased brightness from the BFI is still more conservative than leaving it at a static setting with blown out brightness. Cheers!

Supermodel_Evelynn

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 04 Apr 2024, 21:30

So I got my XG2431 to day and did the LVT trick and strobe utility and this is what I got

The Pixel 3 camera doesn't do it justice, it's a lot clearer in person. This is about 100 Nits.

https://postimg.cc/JHjjQfNB

https://postimg.cc/64CpSw1t

60 HZ completely cross talk free at 4500 VT

120HZ very close to cross talk free 2270 VT

Supermodel_Evelynn

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » Yesterday, 12:39

Discorz wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 13:03
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 19:03
The pulse with value is a percentage of a refresh cycle, and a strobe backlight's pulse width is the MPRT(100%) result.
It's a nice demonstration of what's going on. Even though it doesn't show exact MPRT for each refresh rate like:

XG2431 PureXP+:
@60Hz:
Light = non-strobed 150Hz mprt
Normal = non-strobed 200Hz mprt
Extreme = non-strobed 300Hz mprt
Ultra = non-strobed 600Hz mprt
@120Hz:
Light = non-strobed 300Hz mprt
Normal = non-strobed 400Hz mprt
Extreme = non-strobed 600Hz mprt
Ultra = non-strobed 1200Hz mprt
@240Hz:
Light = non-strobed 600Hz mprt
Normal = non-strobed 800Hz mprt
Extreme = non-strobed 1200Hz mprt
Ultra = non-strobed 2400Hz mprt

But due to panels not being able to achieve instant response times actual blur improvements aren't as linear as MPRT, especially at higher refresh rates.

XG2431 Pulse Width vs MPRT.png
60Hz at PW 25% has almost same blur as non-strobed 240Hz, but isn't as smooth, it flickers and its darker.
Image - non-strobed 240Hz
Image - strobed 60Hz PW ∼25%

Quality post right here my god this is EXACTLY the information I was looking for.

The fact that I can use this interpolation APP

https://store.steampowered.com/app/9930 ... s_Scaling/

And run any locked 60 FPS game like street fighter at 120 FPS and just enable Pure XP Light and get what is the equivalent of 300 HZ OLED MPRT on what is actually a 60 HZ Game is mind blowing to say the least.

And because fighting games or locked 60 FPS games in general are inherently slow it makes object motion incredibly annoying because you have time to see it being blurred where it just should NOT be so not only does it solve the blur but slow moving objects are also very easy to remove blur.

Strobing really is Amazing

Lev1n

Post by Lev1n » Today, 01:14

Just bought this monitor. Its shipped today gonna arrive in 2 days. Want to ask this monitor does comes with any hdmi/dp port cable? If it doesn't comes with any cable can i use my old dp port cable comes with vg248?