ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ViewSonic Now Shipping XG2431 as of NOW!!! [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Aug 2021, 13:35

bakamukako wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 21:49
I recently became a newbee to this whole motion blur reduction thing after realizing that motion blur is the thing that's been bothering me the most ever since I switched from CRT to LCD. I'm currently using a LG 144hz monitor that has a strobe mode. Problem is that I prefer very bright screens due to some eye conditions I have, and this monitor's strobe mode is just really dim to me. So I'm currently looking for the brightest monitor that has good strobe quality, and I always hear people talking about Zowie's DyAc monitors being really bright. How would you compare XG2431's strobe brightness to those DyAc monitors?
For brightness, BenQ has made DyAc+ exceed 300 nits on their 25 inch panels. Few monitors can strobe as bright as the XL2546's.

The XG2431 can exceed 200 nits at the "Light" setting at 240 Hz, but will have much more crosstalk.

However, if you tolerate dimness better, and do all tuning tricks documented in the Blur Busters Strobe Utility, the center become extremely clear. IPS pixel response is tight at 240 Hz but it does get fairly competitive to an average TN panel. The XL2546 is a well known benchmark in TN strobe quality. So, at least you've been informed, that if you want the brightest, your options suddenly get limited and you will have to live with compromises (like XL2546 behaving like a CRT only between 100Hz-240Hz, it can't strobe below 100 Hz) -- the XL2546 does not have retro-friendly strobing. But it is BRIGHT for a strobing mode (brighter than a desktop CRT).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ViewSonic Now Shipping XG2431 as of NOW!!! [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Aug 2021, 13:56

axaro1 wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 12:36
This is my XL2546K with the same test.
Very good photo, but may exaggerate extremely slightly -- your photo is oversaturated, can you reduce color saturation and exposure slightly? I know the XL2546 puts a little bit of crosstalk in the middle of the UFO at the right leading edge. Just ever slightly more visible than your photo -- need a photo without clipped brightness or clipped saturation -- those photos will be closer WYSIWYG. Turning off vivid-photo features or using an app can fix this.

For 240 Hz, after warmup, breakin, and Strobe Utility touch-up, I get better than Michael0121.
axaro1 wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 12:36
Imo the XG2431 looks better than my VG259QM when strobing.
You have it already too? Please warm it up for a while, and re-photograph using similar photo color saturation & photo brightness as the XG2431 photo. I'd love to have a more apples-vs-apples compare!

Also, the XG2431 also goes fully that crosstalk-free in screen center area at lower refresh rates with the Strobe Utility tweaks. Good to also test 100, 120, 144, and 180.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lostyBLUR

Post by lostyBLUR » 03 Aug 2021, 15:29

Does the XG2431 have HDMI 2.0?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Aug 2021, 15:54

lostyBLUR wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 15:29
Yes, it does.

The sales page has a mistake but I can do 240 Hz HDMI on my XG2431, and the spec sheet has it:
www.viewsonic.com/me/products/sheet/XG2431

hdmi2.PNG
hdmi2.PNG (6.57 KiB) Viewed 5089 times

The original press release also mentioned HDMI 2.0 too as well.
www.viewsonic.com/us/news/viewsonic-introduces-its-latest-slate-of-monitors-and-projectors

xg2431_hdmi2.png
xg2431_hdmi2.png (24.03 KiB) Viewed 5081 times

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 03 Aug 2021, 16:16

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 15:54
lostyBLUR wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 15:29
Yes, it does.

The sales page has a mistake but I can do 240 Hz HDMI on my XG2431, and the spec sheet has it:
www.viewsonic.com/me/products/sheet/XG2431

 hdmi2.PNG 

The original press release also mentioned HDMI 2.0 too as well.
www.viewsonic.com/us/news/viewsonic-introduces-its-latest-slate-of-monitors-and-projectors

 xg2431_hdmi2.png 
Chief, is this a 6 bit + FRC panel or true 8 bit?
The XG270 was true 8 bit, right? Why would Viewsonic regress to FRC?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Aug 2021, 17:21

Yes, 8-bit is accomplished via 6bit+FRC but I haven't noticed FRC artifacts in everyday use. It is an Innolux panel, not an AUO panel - they behave differently with their respective pros/cons -- such as lower strobe crosstalk & lower latency on the 23.8" panels -- the lowest I've seen for IPS.

Manufacturers that use these ultra-high-performance 23.8" Innolux IPS panels need to go with 6bit+FRC.

PYRUSWON

Post by PYRUSWON » 04 Aug 2021, 02:58

Hey there guys.

I'm looking to buy the XG2431 as soon as I can! I have a question or two though.
How much tuning/setup do you think I'm going to need to do to get nearly no cross-talk at 144hz? I don't intend on going over 144. Is it going to take hours of tuning and trial/error to get it to my desired spot?

Also, I've read a few times about "breaking in" the monitor by leaving it on at full brightness for many hours at a time, why is this recommended?

I'm always impressed by the advancements you guys make every time I visit this forum, really impressive work by the way!

EmojilessPsykopat

Post by EmojilessPsykopat » 04 Aug 2021, 12:34

This vs VG279QM, size difference and 60hz retro use case aside?

I've been waiting for this but now that it's delayed indefinitely in Europe I'm looking into alternatives. I'm not a pro, maining ultrawide atm - this would be an upgrade to my old XL2411P to use for fast paced games as my UW is too blurry, it's annoying. Would be using for RL, PUBG, D2, shooters in general and 2d pixel art games.

Comparing to XL2411P @~144fps I would be running the new monitor ~180+fps expecting better motion clarity and colors.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Aug 2021, 17:20

Advance Notification: Some posts from this long thread will be split, to create a new topic "European Monitor alternatives to XG2431 since XG2431 not yet shipping in Europe" thread.

I may begin moving posts to that thread soon. We have tons of people dissapointed about delayed Europe availability (likely 2022) and that threatens to swamp this thread -- and having a headline like that may encourage the Europe subsidiary of ViewSonic to accelerate things. Unofficially, I did hear Europe is considering 2022 for XG2431, but don't quote me on that -- this is unsubstantiated information.

While we certainly don't want to take market away from a manufacturer I helped but obviously we all can't let European fans down; sometimes you can only buy what's available in your country -- I can certainly relate when some amazing chinese monitors (like OLED ultrawides) are about to hit the China market (more information in the 480 Hz exposé) but not available outside China; I can't even buy some of that good bleep here (yet).

I know that, off the record, many workers in the ViewSonic monitor team anonymously have mentioned they wish the XG2431 could hit Europe faster. You have the many unavoidable left hand right hand co-ordination and management challenges typical of all large multinationals, even our favorite friendly multinationals. But I can at least politely encourage some higher-ups with a little public advocacy -- with a topic headline in lights -- to show that there's demand for XG2431 in Europe. Free polling/survey data is always helpful to companies!

I can't fault ViewSonic for the parts shortages that might be contributing to this (demand in North America) that dries up supplies for Europe, but still, I would like to see Europe availability accelerated.

In honour of the hard working engineering team in Taiwan over the pond where 8 is a lucky number -- beginning approximately lucky August 8th (08-08-2021) at 8:08:08, I will create the new thread and move these Europe posts from this thread to over there. May good luck help XG2431 to Europe sooner!

Gwyndael

Post by Gwyndael » 04 Aug 2021, 21:43

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 17:20
Advance Notification: Some posts from this long thread will be split, to create a new topic "European Monitor alternatives to XG2431 since XG2431 not yet shipping in Europe" thread.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
In honour of the hard working engineering team in Taiwan over the pond where 8 is a lucky number -- beginning approximately lucky August 8th (08-08-2021) at 8:08:08, I will create the new thread and move these Europe posts from this thread to over there. May good luck help XG2431 to Europe sooner!
Just posting to say that I think that's a great idea (and feel free to move this to the new thread on the 8th if you think it would be better suited).

I primarily fall into the "disappointed European wanting to get some solid XG2431 alternative suggestions" crowd, but I definitely agree with the other benefits of keeping this thread focused on those who can get it; and about hopefully encouraging the EU subsidiary of ViewSonic to release/speed up the release of the monitor here.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Unofficially, I did hear Europe is considering 2022 for XG2431, but don't quote me on that -- this is unsubstantiated information.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
But I can at least politely encourage some higher-ups with a little public advocacy -- with a topic headline in lights -- to show that there's demand for XG2431 in Europe.
I know this is unofficial, but if it's early/Q1 2022, and depending on the alternatives out there/available in that time frame, that personally wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me.

As I mentioned in other threads, having a BB certification/seal of approval is a big selling point for me. Heck, I was asking back in November 2020 for monitor recommendations! I was ready to go on the XG270 around the holiday/Jan sales and specifically held out for the XG2431 after it was announced (and subsequently delayed) primarily because of the BB V2 Certification, and it seemed like the logical upgrade to the XG270.

I know many of us in the EU who inquired about the XG2431 were directed to consider the XG271QG being released in September; and the XG251G being released in November. However based on the information currently available about those models, I don't feel either of them could be considered comparable/related alternatives; and the XG270 is still the closest alternative ViewSonic is able to offer (but please do correct me if I'm wrong).

At this point, I am still considering the XG270 as it's been so long and I really do miss gaming. However, I am very interested to see what other monitors (from ViewSonic and other brands) Chief and others would recommend in the new "European Monitor alternatives to XG2431 since XG2431 not yet shipping in Europe" thread, and whether ViewSonic EU have any better news about bringing the XG2431 to market.

As always, thanks for your work Chief!