ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ViewSonic Now Shipping XG2431 as of NOW!!! [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Oct 2021, 13:21

gameinn wrote:
16 Oct 2021, 03:45
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
12 Oct 2021, 13:32
There's a high shipping charge involved, but even with that, still competitive with European alternatives when considering all-in costs
I might be mistaken but I am pretty sure if the monitor has issues then good luck with the RMA process. You will be forced to send it back to USA at your own expense. Also I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure there is legal issues with requesting RMA via USA to UK/Europe not to mention making sure you get the customs declaration properly done.

Also the US units will come with a US plug which is useless anywhere else. I've always been awkward about using cables not originally packaged with the item even if it's the same amperage or whatever.
Yes, there is warranty centre potential location differences (have to check), but I can vouch the safety of using any voltage.
___

However, US-vs-Europe power is a non issue for XG2431 as it uses the same universal power supply for all countries:

All current modern gaming monitors come with detachable power cords (either to the external power brick or directly to the monitor). All current models by all vendors today now utilize universal voltage switching power supplies directly marked with “90V-260V AC, 47-63 Hz” or similarly broad ranges. Which means its voltage range is 90 volts through 260 volts for most universal switching power supplies, encompassing the world’s entire mains voltage ranges. If Elbonia has 160 volts 55Hz AC, it’s safe - it’s within the voltage range.

I can confirm the factory making XG2431 ships these exact same power supplies (builtin or brick) for all monitors they manufacture now, with different IEC-320 with C5/C6 mating (cloverleaf) or C13/C14 mating (like the back of a computer).

For your country, you just using a different plain detachable power cord, like the one between power outlet and the back of a computer. The power supply today in all these modern gaming monitors, now, are true universal power supplies with continuous voltage range.

There is no warranty risk with all brand name gaming monitors released since about 2012 as they always ship with the same power supply worldwide with universal voltage ability.

There was once a day you had a switch between 120V/240V but that is extinct now for all computer and computer accessory power supplies, as the components of a universal power supply has become cheap. It also simplifies manufacturing, one power supply fits the entire globe.

Because of this, almost anything made in the last 10 years — smartphone plug, tablet plug, computer plug, monitor plug, can safely be passively adaptored between all the plug types without voltage/frequency conversion. Anything that’s generally lighter than an old copper transformer (e.g. like the Apple charger or a modern laptop brick) is now a universal-voltage power supply. (Moreover, the value of copper is so high for heavy transformer, that it’s cheaper to manufacture the electronics of universal voltage power supply now, which uses a hell lot less copper). You can read the fine print on the plug and it often says a voltage range such as “90V-260V AC”. If you see that, its completely safe to adaptor the plug prongs with a passive adaptor or swap a detachable power cord. You don’t have to worry about the current, as that’s the automatic responsibility of what runs inside the power box, you’re simply making the plug prongs compatible (either by passive plug-prongs adaptor or by detachable power cord). So magically any electronics manufactured in the last decade (and in many cases, two decade back when this explosion of universal voltage electronics power bricks started to happen), you can bring a whole computer rig overseas and just plug it in without any voltage conversion. The factories are just giving you different power cords to different prongs, the same power supplies are used for simplicity as it’s now super cheap to make universal power supplies nowadays, which are heavily commoditized by billions of units (literally — every single smartphone ever made since the first iPod, first iPhone, first color BlackBerry, and first Droid phone). The last time I had a non-universal power supply in my computer was way back in the 486 days. That's before the Pentium!

Also, coincidentially on the DC side, USB standardized charging for the last twenty years, concurrently with the standardization of universal AC power supply on the AC side. So you can safely adaptor the prongs of any USB charger and the charger would still work safely on any of the world's 100V-240V consumer power outlets. Mains power sockets (often 1500W and up) has far more than enough power for today's powerful USB chargers (30W, 100W and even the new 240W standards). For plugging a random USB charger to a random power outlet, you pretty much now only need to worry about wattage nowadays, and not the voltage or the current, as that's already automagically done nowadays.

Just seeing ‘100V-240V AC” or “90V-260V AC’ in the fine print on the tiny wallwart or brick, and that’s all the reassurance you need. If you’re using a 20-year-old computer you may sometimes need to check but even then, more than 50% of the time, even that 20-year-old computer uses a universal voltage power supply — they started replacing old linear-transformer supplies (not universal) even back then. The moment the 120/240V switch disappeared, they were automatically universal. After twenty years, pretty much everything electronics power supply is now universal, but you can still double check the fine print if still worried.

Now, that said, I definitely know the answer for the XG2431: It’s universal. The US models are safe for Europe — they both use the same power supply.

TL;DR: You can safely swap common IEC-320 detachable power cords with the XG2431 and I can vouch this. The factory already does this, only for the simple power cord, the same power supply/brick is used in all countries.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

masterblaster

Re: ViewSonic Now Shipping XG2431 as of NOW!!! [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS]

Post by masterblaster » 18 Oct 2021, 13:44

Heres a question. Wait for this XG2431 to come in stock, or go with like the Acer 390hz monitor? Which is better you think?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Oct 2021, 13:41

masterblaster wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 13:44
Heres a question. Wait for this XG2431 to come in stock, or go with like the Acer 390hz monitor? Which is better you think?
Fair question.
But new thread for monitor-vs-monitor questions.
I'll be forking this off off this XG2431-only thread as I am the OP of this thread, and this thread is XG2431-only.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

isaac

Post by isaac » 24 Oct 2021, 03:54

why 23.8" ? why not 24.5" ?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Oct 2021, 12:56

isaac wrote:
24 Oct 2021, 03:54
why 23.8" ? why not 24.5" ?
I already replied in the previous page ;)

Panel factory differences between AUO versus Innolux, etc. XG2431 uses an Innolux panel.

Silliker

Post by Silliker » 30 Oct 2021, 10:44

Gents.
I'm going to purchase this monitor in the next week or so when it's back in stock. Do you think there will be any noticeable upgrades over the Asus VG258QM ? I assume the colors will be better being an IPS panel and perhaps equilient motion handling ? I use ELMB on Apex and it seems to help with tracking and up close shotty fights. Some people say IPS feel "snappier" , is this lower input lag ? Also will there be a dark boost or shadow boost at all ? Some door rooms its hard to see the enemies. I am also considering the xl2546k for this reason
Thanks
VG258QM

harrison256

Post by harrison256 » 04 Nov 2021, 03:15

I sent an email to ViewSonic Sales requesting an update on the restock status of the XG2431 to Amazon.com, and I have some bad news for those who were waiting for the mid-November restock of the XG2431.

Here's the response I recieved:
Thank you for contacting ViewSonic,

The XG2431 stock has been pushed back until the beginning of December due the supply chain disruption and the congestion at our local ports.
We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I guess I'll be waiting until December to import the XG2431 to Europe from Amazon.com! :-(

Mugabi

Post by Mugabi » 04 Nov 2021, 03:22

If u have emi no monitor will make ur gameplay any better

Silliker

Post by Silliker » 04 Nov 2021, 15:40

Hmm I talked with a distributor in Canada about a week ago and they were still expecting Mid November.
I guess we will see soon.
VG258QM

AM_acc1q

Post by AM_acc1q » 05 Nov 2021, 11:02

harrison256 wrote:
04 Nov 2021, 03:15
I sent an email to ViewSonic Sales requesting an update on the restock status of the XG2431 to Amazon.com, and I have some bad news for those who were waiting for the mid-November restock of the XG2431.

Here's the response I recieved:
Thank you for contacting ViewSonic,

The XG2431 stock has been pushed back until the beginning of December due the supply chain disruption and the congestion at our local ports.
We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I guess I'll be waiting until December to import the XG2431 to Europe from Amazon.com! :-(
On October 11th they told me it would be stocked on Amazon by the end of October. :oops:

I found leaked footage of ViewSonic logistics: