ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
pllovervoltage

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by pllovervoltage » 27 May 2022, 06:59

The rting review mentiongs plugging the usb b cable to change purexp custom settings but to me it seems the strobe utility is working just fine over displayport.

Am i missing something?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2022, 16:31

Angel Soler wrote:
26 May 2022, 23:55
But... correct me if I'm wrong. In the case of consoles, since V-Sync is enabled in most games, the lag would be the same anywhere on the screen. It is right?
Yes.

Keep in mind RTINGS latency tests are for VSYNC OFF.

Average lag numbers changes totally if retested using VSYNC ON instead of VSYNC OFF, and vice-versa, even if you exclude (filter-out) GPU latency.

Remember consoles take 1/60sec to transmit a 60Hz frame (they do not currently use QFT) over the video cable which is then refreshed onto the screen simultaneously (For subrefresh-latency LCD and OLEDs). So the backlight is turned off for the whole time period. VSYNC ON is a global sync technology, which is a good fit for a global strobe technology, so all pixels can have the same lag -- but it's a full frame-transmission of lag (minimum). QFT can reduce this form of latency though, e.g. 60Hz from a PC with a QFT mode.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2022, 17:37

RTINGS just posted 15 different pursuit photographs in their XG2431 review.

\Image

I actually can get better with Custom, since they didn't utilize the QFT tricks, and I'd use bigger pulse widths for Custom (Combined with QFT). QFT allows you to use longer pulse widths with less strobe crosstalk.

The lower Hz you go, and the more QFT you apply, the less crosstalk you can get.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Prolific

Post by Prolific » 27 May 2022, 19:01

Here is a video showing my issue with the strobe utility showing the speed changing twice. The issue only happens once I create custom resolution in cru. I think this is more likely a bug with the utility itself then the monitor but I wanted to be sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZAPgWVYg-M&t=3s

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2022, 20:29

Prolific wrote:
27 May 2022, 19:01
Here is a video showing my issue with the strobe utility showing the speed changing twice. The issue only happens once I create custom resolution in cru. I think this is more likely a bug with the utility itself then the monitor but I wanted to be sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZAPgWVYg-M&t=3s
Yes, this is a known Utility bug with the animations within -- also it happens more often on different-Hz multimonitor systems.

Best to let the TestUFO motion stabilize in speed, then calibrate.

Or simply turn off the Strobe Utility animation and instead use a web browser on www.testufo.com/crosstalk -- you get customizable panning velocity.

Angel Soler

Post by Angel Soler » 27 May 2022, 23:01

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 May 2022, 16:31
Angel Soler wrote:
26 May 2022, 23:55
But... correct me if I'm wrong. In the case of consoles, since V-Sync is enabled in most games, the lag would be the same anywhere on the screen. It is right?
Yes.

Keep in mind RTINGS latency tests are for VSYNC OFF.

Average lag numbers changes totally if retested using VSYNC ON instead of VSYNC OFF, and vice-versa, even if you exclude (filter-out) GPU latency.

Remember consoles take 1/60sec to transmit a 60Hz frame (they do not currently use QFT) over the video cable which is then refreshed onto the screen simultaneously (For subrefresh-latency LCD and OLEDs). So the backlight is turned off for the whole time period. VSYNC ON is a global sync technology, which is a good fit for a global strobe technology, so all pixels can have the same lag -- but it's a full frame-transmission of lag (minimum). QFT can reduce this form of latency though, e.g. 60Hz from a PC with a QFT mode.
Last question, Chief, please.

So, taking all this into account, what lag would I have on consoles, according to Rtings?

That is, what lag would I have at 60 hz with v-Sync activated and with strobe mode activated?

Thank you very much and sorry for so many questions

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2022, 23:57

Angel Soler wrote:
27 May 2022, 23:01

So, taking all this into account, what lag would I have on consoles, according to Rtings?
Converting VSYNC OFF latencies to VSYNC ON latencies is not easy to do, unfortunately.

It can dramatically change the number to different magnitudes for different displays depending on their scanout behaviours, so you'd have to ask RTINGS to do both VSYNC ON lag tests and VSYNC OFF lag tests.

But as a rule of thumb, for a normal scanout display (cable:panel sync), enabling a low-lag strobe mode during VSYNC ON will usually add approximately half-a-refresh-cycle of latency on average. This is not a hard-and-fast rule as it depends on a lot of variables, including changes to buffering on some displays when strobe mode is enabled.

XG2431 does not change scanout velocity during strobing on/off, so it becomes slightly simpler math of an average of half a refresh cycle latency, but you have to add that to nonstrobed VSYNC ON latency test (not RTING's number for VSYNC OFF latency number). So you have no number to add to, unfortunately, since RTINGS did not test a VSYNC ON latency.

Though you can reduce this with QFT tricks, but consoles don't currently yet use QFT.

Both XL2411P and XG2431 would be identical considerations at 60Hz. Because the lag numbers are almost identical for XL2411P and XG2431 then that means it should have almost identical 60Hz strobe lag (for same sync technology setting, same strobe setting, and same Hz), since XL2411P was also extremely low latency strobe too, and uses the same generic industry standard strobe tuning (the "pulse phase + pulse width" approach of strobe tuning, although XG2431 adds 100 levels of Overdrive, for even better strobe quality at a wider range of refresh rates).

Angel Soler

Post by Angel Soler » 28 May 2022, 02:58

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 May 2022, 23:57
Angel Soler wrote:
27 May 2022, 23:01

Converting VSYNC OFF latencies to VSYNC ON latencies is not easy to do, unfortunately.

It can dramatically change the number to different magnitudes for different displays depending on their scanout behaviours, so you'd have to ask RTINGS to do both VSYNC ON lag tests and VSYNC OFF lag tests.

But as a rule of thumb, for a normal scanout display (cable:panel sync), enabling a low-lag strobe mode during VSYNC ON will usually add approximately half-a-refresh-cycle of latency on average. This is not a hard-and-fast rule as it depends on a lot of variables, including changes to buffering on some displays when strobe mode is enabled.

XG2431 does not change scanout velocity during strobing on/off, so it becomes slightly simpler math of an average of half a refresh cycle latency, but you have to add that to nonstrobed VSYNC ON latency test (not RTING's number for VSYNC OFF latency number). So you have no number to add to, unfortunately, since RTINGS did not test a VSYNC ON latency.

Though you can reduce this with QFT tricks, but consoles don't currently yet use QFT.

Both XL2411P and XG2431 would be identical considerations at 60Hz. Because the lag numbers are almost identical for XL2411P and XG2431 then that means it should have almost identical 60Hz strobe lag (for same sync technology setting, same strobe setting, and same Hz), since XL2411P was also extremely low latency strobe too, and uses the same generic industry standard strobe tuning (the "pulse phase + pulse width" approach of strobe tuning, although XG2431 adds 100 levels of Overdrive, for even better strobe quality at a wider range of refresh rates).
Thank you very much for answering me and for your time ☺️.

I understand everything you say.

I am happy with the lag of the XL2411P. I play a lot of competitive games and I have very good results. So with the XG 2431 I would have the same lag but much better strobe mode ☺️💪

Great, as soon as XG2431 comes out in Europe I'll buy it

Chief, you are great!! ☺️☺️💪💪.
Thank you very, very , very much for all☺️☺️
Take care yourself!

Angel Soler

Post by Angel Soler » 28 May 2022, 03:12

I just remembered that there is a result that maybe we can extrapolate.

I read some time ago that the XL2720 has 15 ms of lag, at 60 hz and with blur reduction activated (measured with the Leo Bornar Test).
That result should be very similar to the XL2411, and therefore the XG2431. It would be correct?

Angel Soler

Post by Angel Soler » 28 May 2022, 12:05

Sorry for so many posts in a row. It's just that I've been remembering several things and I wanted to tell you.

The XL2720 has about 10 ms without strobe mode (measured with Leo Bodnar Test).

I understand that Leo Bodnar is a test that always measures with V-Sync ON.

And if the blur reduction was activated, the lag was 15 ms (it only added 5 ms with the strobe mode)

I think the XL2720 works similar to the XL2411p, right?

So I thought that the results could be extrapolated to the XL2411p and, therefore, since the XL2411p and the XG2431 are very similar, we would then have an approximate measurement for the XG2431.

Is what I am exposing nonsense? hahahah ...or would it make sense?