ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Love

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Love » 30 Nov 2021, 13:09

Zace wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 12:52
Love wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 18:07
Is this normal? I received my XG2431 on Tuesday and the bottom right corner has been bothersome when playing.
It’s not just you. My xg2431 has the same bothersome problems.
Thats a relief, I've been contemplating returning it for a replacement. The only thing that seems to help is putting it in PureXP on Normal. I've also tried leaving it on 100 brightness so the colors settle.

Discorz
VIP Member

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Discorz » 30 Nov 2021, 13:10

Zace wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 12:52
It’s not just you. My xg2431 has the same bothersome problems.
Love wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 18:07
Is this normal? I received my XG2431 on Tuesday and the bottom right corner has been bothersome when playing.
This is classic IPS glow. If you want to capture backlight bleed only do it from longer distances, maybe two meters away. Display full black, full screen with room lights off.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Nov 2021, 15:30

Yes, this is IPS glow.

For panel defects (backlight bleed) or panel pressure during shipping (center splotches), photograph from 2+ meters away (zoom lens is OK) to eliminate IPS glow error margin.

(To fix pressure spots (center splotches roughly where the bracket connects), run a 72 hour burn-in nonstop 24/7 to redistribute the liquid crystal fluid between the glass layers. Monitors are often accidentally shipped flat or upsidedown, causing pressure on the LCD, like a finger pressing the middle of the LCD for days nonstop. This pressure spot can take days to disappear. But what I see from your pictures is just IPS glow).

Sitting dead center with the monitor tilted exactly perpendicular to your face, will add symmetry to the IPS glow (equal and fainter in all corners), especially if you sit at least arm's length away from dead center.

It's not as bad as TN in my experience -- TN is more viewing angle sensitive and worse than IPS glow but your mileage will vary (YMMV) depending on what kind of panel quirks you are picky about. TN, VA, and IPS have their own quirks.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

woland

Post by woland » 30 Nov 2021, 16:32

mxblue wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 23:27
woland wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 02:09
Some thoughts on the XG2431 after two days. I also own an XL2746s and AOPEN 25XV2Q (390hz), and play Apex at a decent level (my team is currently top 20 in the NA ALGS Challenger Circuit). The monitor is excellent; for my intents and purposes better than the XL2746s or 25XV2Q. I had to tweak settings for visibility to be good enough at the normal pureXP setting, at settings higher than Normal it's too dark for my taste.

Settings:
- Apex fps capped at 260, gamma 50, digital vibrance default
- Standard mode, Normal PureXP (default configuration), 240hz
- Contrast 85, Color Temp Normal
- Sharpness 50, Black Stabilization 60

During the day when it's too bright I sometimes switch PureXP from Normal to Light.
Would you mind expanding on how/why the XG2431 is better than the XL2746s, and especially 25XV2Q?
Certainly. I was not a fan of Dyac+ on the XL2746s and ended up not using it. I test monitors extensively in Kovaaks but this conclusion was not reached from that; Kovaaks is not a good tool for assessing the benefits of blur reduction. Apex has fast peripheral movement so one would think blur reduction would be beneficial. Instead, I found myself performing worse with Dyac+ on. I'm not sure if it was due to latency or because the strobing tired me out, but the end result was that I kept Dyac off. This led me to testing the 25XV2Q and its 390hz.

I prefer the 25XV2Q to the XL2746s. On the 25XV2Q I preferred not to use blur reduction or gsync, I just kept everything unlocked. I ended up reaching some great Kovaaks scores on it, beating the scores of SirDel, Taskmaster, Querni and other players of that level on scenarios they frequent. In Apex however things looked blurry. I ended up missing information that was more important than simply aiming well due to low latency. This in turn led me to the XG2431.

The XG2431 appears to be the best of both worlds. I am able to comfortably use its blur reduction at the settings I mentioned above, which improves overall visibility, while aiming well. Peeking for information and picking out details has become easier. My Kovaaks scores on it are close enough to the 25XV2Q for it to not make a difference. I have not yet extensively tested the XG2431 without PureXP but I'll get there eventually and will post my feedback when I do. Right now though I am content with its strobing tech, latency, and the overall result.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Nov 2021, 16:37

woland wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 16:32
Certainly. I was not a fan of Dyac+ on the XL2746s and ended up not using it. I test monitors extensively in Kovaaks but this conclusion was not reached from that; Kovaaks is not a good tool for assessing the benefits of blur reduction. Apex has fast peripheral movement so one would think blur reduction would be beneficial. Instead, I found myself performing worse with Dyac+ on. I'm not sure if it was due to latency or because the strobing tired me out, but the end result was that I kept Dyac off. This led me to testing the 25XV2Q and its 390hz.

I prefer the 25XV2Q to the XL2746s. On the 25XV2Q I preferred not to use blur reduction or gsync, I just kept everything unlocked. I ended up reaching some great Kovaaks scores on it, beating the scores of SirDel, Taskmaster, Querni and other players of that level on scenarios they frequent. In Apex however things looked blurry. I ended up missing information that was more important than simply aiming well due to low latency. This in turn led me to the XG2431.

The XG2431 appears to be the best of both worlds. I am able to comfortably use its blur reduction at the settings I mentioned above, which improves overall visibility, while aiming well. Peeking for information and picking out details has become easier. My Kovaaks scores on it are close enough to the 25XV2Q for it to not make a difference. I have not yet extensively tested the XG2431 without PureXP but I'll get there eventually and will post my feedback when I do. Right now though I am content with its strobing tech, latency, and the overall result
Great to hear that XG2431 PureXP outperforms the much-vaunted BenQ DyAc for you in particular!

Personally, how would you compare crosstalk of XL2746 DyAc versus XG2431 PureXP?

Especially after re-tuning in ViewSonic Strobe Utility after a 72-hour burn-in period? You can usually get slightly-better-than-factory tuning even without QFT, because of extremely minor panel differences -- much like how a colorimeter can do for color tuning.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

woland

Post by woland » 30 Nov 2021, 17:34

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 16:37
Great to hear that XG2431 PureXP outperforms the much-vaunted BenQ DyAc for you in particular!

Personally, how would you compare crosstalk of XL2746 DyAc versus XG2431 PureXP?

Especially after re-tuning in ViewSonic Strobe Utility after a 72-hour burn-in period? You can usually get slightly-better-than-factory tuning even without QFT, because of extremely minor panel differences -- much like how a colorimeter can do for color tuning.
It really is a great monitor.

I haven't made any customizations in the strobe utility yet. What do you think I should try playing with?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Nov 2021, 17:51

woland wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 17:34
I haven't made any customizations in the strobe utility yet. What do you think I should try playing with?
Simply follow the instructions at www.blurbusters.com/xg2431 -- and repeat again after a week.
You can just follow section "Advanced DIY Strobe Tuning via Custom PureXP", steps 1 through 7.

We ask people to re-calibrate again after a week (or so) because LCD GtG pixel response can change slowly after factory and stabilize after the first while of use (Break-in period). This is because of the liquid between the glass (in Liquid Crystal Display) can take time to redistribute between the glass layers of your screen.

This recommendation for Strobe Utility (for strobe tuning) is the same recommendation given to people who use colorimeters (for color tuning).

Sometimes a panel is so well-tuned, that you don't see a difference with PureXP Custom (for non-QFT modes). QFT modes will always be better than factory when tuned properly. However, due to panel lottery / variances, most can expect a minor further improvement with Strobe Utility even with the factory 240Hz mode (without QFT).

Zace

Post by Zace » 30 Nov 2021, 17:51

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 16:37
woland wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 16:32

The XG2431 appears to be the best of both worlds. I am able to comfortably use its blur reduction at the settings I mentioned above, which improves overall visibility, while aiming well. Peeking for information and picking out details has become easier. My Kovaaks scores on it are close enough to the 25XV2Q for it to not make a difference. I have not yet extensively tested the XG2431 without PureXP but I'll get there eventually and will post my feedback when I do. Right now though I am content with its strobing tech, latency, and the overall result

do you need qft on 240hz too?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Nov 2021, 17:52

Zace wrote:
30 Nov 2021, 17:51
do you need qft on 240hz too?
Easy Answer:
Quick Frame Transport (QFT) is optional. It is useful for reduced input lag and reduced crosstalk for below maximum refresh rates (below 240Hz). For example, getting a 60Hz or 120Hz mode with the low input lag of 240Hz. QFT is not needed for full 240Hz.

Due to panel temperature / lottery / variances, you can still get strobe quality improvements (better than factory) via Strobe Utility without using QFT. Just remember to warm up your monitor for at least 30-60 minutes before using Strobe Utility. Warmer LCDs have faster LCD GtG pixel response than cold LCDs, especially in the winter.
(end of easy answer)

Long Advanced Answer:
Quick Frame Transport (QFT) refers to the speed of frame transmission on the video cable (which is also synchronized to scanout velocity on an Innolux 23.8" panels).

It is mainly better for below-max-Hz mode, because QFT accelerates a low-Hz mode to deliver refresh cycles at max-Hz velocity (e.g. 120Hz refresh cycles transmitted over the video cable in 1/240sec). In general, don't bother with QFT at 240Hz -- it mainly benefits less-than-240Hz modes. A 240Hz refresh cycle can't refresh faster than 1/240sec, but the XG2431 supports refreshing any low-Hz mode (e.g. 120Hz) at max-Hz velocity of 1/240sec.

Faster refreshing per refresh cycle creates a longer idle time between refresh cycles, to more easily hide LCD GtG pixel response in total darkness between refresh cycles, to make possible crosstalk-free strobing at low Hz. The world's first zero-crosstalk LCD operation needs to use these technique to hide real-world LCD GtG100% in a super-long VBI. Very few LCDs on the market can do this, such as Valve Index VR LCD, Oculus Quest 2 VR LCD, and the ViewSonic XG2431 LCD (via <120Hz + QFT + Strobe Utility re-tuning).

QFT means a 120Hz refresh cycle can be painted onto the XG2431 panel in just 1/240sec (about 4ms). This means the panel can idle for 4ms between refresh cycles in total darkness before the strobe backlight flash. This is long enough to let most pixels reach GtG100% for zero-crosstalk strobing, hiding LCD GtG limitations away from human eyes. Lower Hz allows more idle time between refresh cycles, so lower Hz will be easier go crosstalk-free.

It is not possible to create QFT modes via GMT, CVT, CVT-R timings formulas. QFT requires a custom EDID formula, that monitor manufacturers currently usually do not use (yet), but is now possible via a Custom Resolution Utility. Eventually I hope to convince future manufacturers to add a "Quick Frame Transport ON/OFF" setting in monitor menus (EDID swap behavior, similar to FreeSync ON/OFF), so people don't have to use ToastyX or Custom Resolutions to create QFT modes. This would be 100% true plug-and-play QFT.
But today, for now, QFT requires the creation of a Custom Resolution (same visible resolution, but much bigger blanking interval).
(end of long advanced answer)

AM_acc1q

Post by AM_acc1q » 30 Nov 2021, 22:23

I just got the monitor and will probably have a huge list of questions in the next couple of days.
I've only messed around with the Strobe Utility for a few minutes (I'm going to let the monitor burn in before I make any changes).

Any reason why the tool doesn't supply us with the numbers when we switch between PureXP modes? It seems to just leave the values we have stored for custom which I guess kind of makes sense. I would like to know the exact numbers used for Light, Normal, Extreme, etc...