ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ysenojftw

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by ysenojftw » 03 Dec 2021, 22:54

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 19:47
ysenojftw wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 19:25
Would you recommend pre tuned 240hz mode out of the box for competive fps gaming while having fps double and capped at 500? I see you can go more in depth with the utility but is there a need to do that or a benefit per say?
Yes -- I recommend 240Hz VSYNC OFF for "latency priority strobing" (ala DyAc style or ELMB style). Yes, overkill framerates far beyond Hz is recommended when you're doing latency-priority strobing rather than quality-priority strobing.

The factory 240Hz XG2431 strobing is already very well-tuned out of the box, probably amongst the lowest-crosstalk 240Hz IPS for factory tuning. You can probably get slightly better with a very slight amount of retuning via Strobe Utility (after break-in and warm-up), but the 240Hz is already very good out of the box when it's compared versus 240Hz max-Hz strobing on any current 240Hz gaming monitor. No monitor on the market does zero-crosstalk 240Hz strobing anyway, but it's top of the class for 240Hz IPS strobing.

Optional for easy strobing, but if you want to keep 240Hz low-lag but try to improve a bit further -- you may want to break-in the panel (run it for a week) and then re-tune it with Strobe Utility to get a bit better than factory in some cases (strobe equivalent of retuning color with a colorimeter). Panel variances and temperatures means it's possible to get 10%-15% better than factory strobe tuning in some cases.

Latency Priority Strobing
Just use 240Hz and VSYNC OFF & extreme framerates, like you normally use with any esports monitor.

Quality Priority Strobing
Use refresh rate headroom + QFT mode + Strobe Utility (to more accurately mimic CRT tube)
Thank you for the detailed response, what overdrive level do you recommend for the latency priority

Angel Soler

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Angel Soler » 04 Dec 2021, 03:23

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 17:43
Angel Soler wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 01:39
Hello Chief!!
I need to know if the XG2431 has less inputlag in strobe mode at 60hz (consoles) than the XP2411P
Contrary to popular belief, Blur Busters is not a monitor reviewer. We invent the tests that monitor reviewers use, and we do not compete with monitor reviewers that use the Blur Busters invented tests.

Please vote at RTINGS Suggest-a-Monitor:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9423

I can say an opinion from what I've seen since I have an old XL2411Z here too. I can say, however, XG2431 60Hz console strobing looks better than XL2411Z strobing by a quick glance.
Thank you very much , Chief!! ☺️👍

antiblur

Post by antiblur » 04 Dec 2021, 03:59

monitors: TN ACER 1916 (75Hz)>TN ACER 1917 (75Hz)>XL2540K (240Hz)>IIYAMA MASTER VISION PRO 451 (CRT 160 Hz)>xl2546k>omen x 25>24g2zu>xv252qf

AquariusLuLu

Post by AquariusLuLu » 04 Dec 2021, 04:02

Hello, was hoping to get information regarding this monitor setup for playing Apex Legends on console (59Hz). Out of the box I use standard and pure Xp but anytime I crease the PureXp my brightness is incredibly impacted.

I’m curious to know if anyone has great settings for this monitor and playing FPS console games particularly Apex Legends and COD? Thanks!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Dec 2021, 10:42

ysenojftw wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 22:54
Thank you for the detailed response, what overdrive level do you recommend for the latency priority
Overdrive in menus doesn't matter; it's overridden already by factory-tuned settings that ViewSonic has preinstall into their Blur Busters Approved XG2431's.

But if you mean the Overdrive Gain in Strobe Utility, it depends. It's like having 100 levels of overdrive, and YES, it does matter -- however, it varies very slightly (by a few percent). Perfect-possible OD Gain varies because it is very panel-lottery-specific, refresh-rate-specific, vertical-total-specific and panel-temperature-specific.

Colder temps -> needs stronger OD Gain
Higher temps -> needs less OD Gain
30min warm-up -> needs less OD Gain than the first 30 minutes (cold temp)
Higher Hz -> needs stronger OD Gain
Panel lottery effect -> affects OD Gain at high Hz by a few %
Panel break-in after factory -> needs slightly less OD Gain

Also, visible overdrive variances at the same OD Gain number will vary more at higher Hz. When you have only 5 levels of overdrive, this doesn't really matter.

To re-tune your PureXP overdrive gain, go to www.blurbusters.com/xg2431
1. Download Strobe Utility
2. Follow the instructions

While these instructions are for advanced users, it's generally easier than using a colorimeter. People use colorimeters because panel color can vary a little bit between panels, and a colorimeter can re-tune color a few percent more perfectly than factory. Likewise, getting strobing more perfect as possible (better than factory) gets all the way into these tiny unit-specific nuances.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Dec 2021, 10:51

AquariusLuLu wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 04:02
Hello, was hoping to get information regarding this monitor setup for playing Apex Legends on console (59Hz). Out of the box I use standard and pure Xp but anytime I crease the PureXp my brightness is incredibly impacted.
Simple Answer:
PureXP can never be as bright as non-PureXP. Stronger PureXP exchanges brightness vs motion clarity.

Advanced Answer:
PureXP uses a strobe backlight technology (backlight is flashing in a high-precision manner on refresh cycles, like the high speed video at www.blurbusters.com/lightboost/video ...) -- it's like doing flashbulb photography at night, which totally freezes motion blur -- except continously on a series of monitor refresh cycles. This is how all strobe backlights work, including ELMB, ULMB, VRB, etc. The strobe flash duty cycle is directly proportional to motion blur. The length of the backlight flash is the MPRT(100%) that the LCD panel gets (assuming it's well tuned).

PureXP Ultra = backlight is only on 10% of the time to reduce motion blur by 90%
PureXP Extreme = backlight is only on 20% of the time to reduce motion blur by 80%
PureXP Light = backlight is only on 30% of the time to reduce motion blur by 70%
PureXP Normal = backlight is only on 40% of the time to reduce motion blur by 60%

Very few strobe backlights manage to get fully bright (e.g. DyAc) but DyAc does not work at 60Hz, and it's much harder to voltage-boost a strobe backlight brighter at lower Hz (more LED damage risk because of brighter needed due to fewer refresh cycles per second) than at higher Hz. The brightness was tuned for the LED's safety.

My recommendation is to turn down lighting and use either PureXP Extreme or PureXP Normal. This is a goldilocks setting. PureXP Light can be used in a pinch, at the cost of quite noticeably more strobe crosstalk and blur (due to less time to hide LCD pixel response and LCD scanout in darkness between refresh cycles).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Kachou

Post by Kachou » 04 Dec 2021, 15:37

Just a simple question, should I run PureXP Normal on 240hz and lock fps at 120? Or 120hz and 120fps? I have read the guides and all, but I still dont really get it to be honest.

ysenojftw

Post by ysenojftw » 04 Dec 2021, 18:11

I’m also wondering if purexp adds input lag vs having it off completely. Can anyone chime in on this? I’m on 240hz, purexp normal, and capped fps at 500. If it doesn’t add input lag I think I’ll get used to the darker monitor.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Dec 2021, 18:33

ysenojftw wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 18:11
I’m also wondering if purexp adds input lag vs having it off completely. Can anyone chime in on this? I’m on 240hz, purexp normal, and capped fps at 500. If it doesn’t add input lag I think I’ll get used to the darker monitor.
The short answer is:
Yes and No. It depends.
It’s the same as DyAc/ELMB/VRB lag behavior.
Also, strobing reduces human reaction time for certain gaming tactics, so even if electronic lag is increased, human lag is decreased more — depending on gaming tactic you use.

The long answer is:
No added lag for some pixels, and some added lag for other pixels. Strobing modifies the latency gradient along the vertical axis of the screen. It’s a result of the asymmetry between global strobe flash, and LCD scanout in total darkness. So some pixels have no lag penalty and other pixels do.

A strobe backlight is a global flash, but a non-strobed LCD doesn’t refresh all pixels at the same time. See high speed videos of refresh cycles at www.blurbusters.com/scanout

Non-strobed modes = not all pixels become visible at the same time
Strobed modes = all pixels become visible at the same time.

So enabling/disabling a strobe backlight, affects the latency gradient along the vertical dimension on the screen for ALL strobe backlight technologies, including LightBoost, ULMB, VRB, ELMB, PureXP, DyAc, etc. If you average the latency difference for each pixel on the entire surface of the display, it is usually approximately half a refresh cycle, though longer pulse widths will affect this.

The human is considered part of the input lag chain in a way that is not easily measurable by electronic equipment. Most electronic equipment only measures via photons, not how fast the human reacts.

With less motion blur, it’s easier to identify targets faster, and react faster, and kill/kick/catch/etc items or targets faster. This can be very useful if you’re in perpetual motion such as Rocket League or RTS or MOBA games. For FPS games, whether you have reaction time improvements depends on whether you track eyes.
See HOWTO: Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively which explains this effect better.

Bottom line: For certain games, the improved human reaction time (reacting faster because of less motion blur) can sometimes outweigh the tiny lag increase from strobing. The average lag increase for a 240Hz strobe backlight is typically ~2ms, or 0.002s. A human reaction time is often closer to 200ms or 0.2s. However, if you even react 2-3% faster (e.g. 195ms), that already more outweighs the 2ms increase in strobe lag.

However, too-dim picture MAY make you react a bit slower, so adjust your brightness until a good sweet-spot compromise — bright enough that you have no problems playing, but strong enough motion blur reduction that the reduced blur makes you react faster.

Reviewers don’t measure human reaction time when measuring input lag. That’s the correct way to test monitors. However, it does not acknowledge how different modes of a monitor may influence (speed up) human reaction time to compensate for the electronic-timed lag increase of the monitor feature.

Does a millisecond matter? Yes, but it depends. See The Amazing Human Visible Feats of the Millisecond, sometimes even 10 microseconds creates a human-visible effect. 1.0ms versus 1.01ms strobed MPRT is a 1% difference in photons, bigger than to RGB(253,253,253) versus RGB(255,255,255)

TL;DR; It is the same “quirk” behavior for all strobe backlights, including ULMB and DyAc, that is for sure. The same laws of physics applies to all of them. Some strobe backlights are laggier than others, but PureXP does the absolute minimum possible increase to lag, and you can adjust screen area for crosstalk, to decide where you want the lowest lag (The lowest lag is right above the crosstalk band).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Dec 2021, 18:36

Kachou wrote:
04 Dec 2021, 15:37
Just a simple question, should I run PureXP Normal on 240hz and lock fps at 120? Or 120hz and 120fps? I have read the guides and all, but I still dont really get it to be honest
I will be clear:

Choice 1: Easy Latency Priority Strobing
If you want easy and low lag, stop reading, ignore this thread, simply switch to 240Hz and turn on PureXP just like turning on DyAc or ELMB. Done, just play and be happy.

Choice 2: Improved/Quality Priority Strobing
If you want better quality (and simulate a CRT tube better), read on carefully:

The purpose of changing the refresh rate lower is to improve strobe quality

The purpose of capping the frame rate is to help it reach framerate=Hz.

240Hz and 120fps is not framerate=Hz

You want Framerate=Hz if you want quality-priority strobing instead of latency-priority strobing.

Otherwise, you get a duplicate image problem similar to CRT/Plasma 30fps at 60Hz.

There are two causes of duplicate images on strobe backlights.

1. Strobe crosstalk, explained at www.blurbustrs.com/crosstalk
Reducing refresh rate fixes this.

2. Framerates lower than strobed refresh rates:

If your latency-priority, you won’t care about this. At least the duplicate images are much clearer than motion blurring, which can help you react faster.

But if you want perfect zero motion blur with perfect zero duplicate images, you want framerate matching Hz. So 240fps a 240Hz. However, the next dominoe is that you want refresh headroom to avoid strobe crosstalk.

Also stutter is more visible without motion blur, so all strobe backlights (PureXP, ULMB, ELMB, VRB, LightBoost, etc) can make stutter worse. Fixing this is also by making sure framerate=Hz, to eliminate stutter.

For Quality Priority Strobing (instead of latency priority)
You fix #1 (Crosstalk) by lowering refresh rate (and optionally using QFT and Strobe Utility)
You fix #2 (Duplicate images and microstutter) by using capping framerate=Hz, using VSYNC ON, or framerate cap, or RTSS Scanline Sync, or Special K Latent Sync, or your other favourite method of framerate=Hz

Do you understand better? ;)