ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Kuscheln_Hammer92

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Kuscheln_Hammer92 » 06 May 2023, 11:44

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 07:03
roro13200 wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 20:05
hello i have a question for you chief .
I have the xg2431 and mainly play fighting games locked at 60 fps, I don't play with gsync because it doesn't work with some versus fighting games.

what setting do you recommend with this monitor?

I tried a qft 60hz mode, but with vsync there is still latency, with vsync off there is tearing and rtss does not work (blocked by the game)
Damn, RTSS is needed to maximize QFT's ability to work properly.
roro13200 wrote:
for qft maybe it's me who configured something wrong?
QFT won't unstrobed VSYNC ON much without some help from RTSS to move the pageflip to end-of-VBI instead of start-of-VBI.
roro13200 wrote:
for pure xp, if I play at 144hz but display 60fps, what can I do to improve the rendering?
For PureXP, you want framerate=Hz.

For non-PureXP, try 240Hz non-QFT non-VRR, and see how the fighting game feels.
I saw you were referring to fighting games here. I finally removed the automatic vsync in UMvsC 3 but with the scanline sync on, the game says 60fps but seems to run a few frames faster. Would I expect that from all fighting games with automatic caps via in engine vsync? Do you have a list of fighting games with it sorted out and how to's?

Jadzira

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Jadzira » 07 May 2023, 04:01

Can anyone share better tweaked CRU profile for 240 Hz? I would like to get max performance out of my XG2431. If there is any way to gain some additional benefits like better strobing or futher improved QFT, could you share info how to do it. In the pictures you can see how my current profile looks like.

Edit.

I didn't get reply yet, but I started to tweak on my own. I had read some blurbusters articles and decicded to modify parameters - Total Vertical. I tried 1160 (factory settings), 1190, 1200, 1225, 1230, 1260 (black screen on system loading - I had to login to windows emergency mode to change value).

What I had noticed so far?
The screen feels like a little more responsive, strobe is better - I can really see the difference in viewsonic strobe utility made by blurbusters. Increasing the total vertical value leaded me to reduce overdrive gain cause ghosting (coronas) became visible at the same settings. I had overdrive gain 39 for 1160 vertical total and had to reduce to 30 for 1230 vertical total.

Waiting for an CRU expert to join coversation and give some tips and explainations :)

Edit 2.
After a day of investigation and testing many values. I noticed a tiny horizontal line and it is visible above value 1165 Vertical Total .
Today I increased horizontal total by 100 to 2130 and Vertical Total by 5 to 1165.
Conclusions for now, increasing Veritcal Total improve strobing, however there is cost of it, a tiny horizontal line (above 1165 Vertical Total) not visible during normal usage but you can see it in viewsonic strobe utility.
Attachments
test2day.png
test2day.png (229.47 KiB) Viewed 8969 times
cruXG2431 tunning.png
cruXG2431 tunning.png (50.89 KiB) Viewed 9019 times
cruXG2431.png
cruXG2431.png (14.63 KiB) Viewed 9086 times

quake3

Re: [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS] ViewSonic unveils monitors for 2021 (The new 240Hz 24" king?)

Post by quake3 » 09 May 2023, 19:16

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 14:20

I wouldn't be surprised if the XG2431 (and XG251G) outperforms XG2401 in practically every metric, and you have way more features like VRR, strobing, and higher Hz. Even 144fps at 240Hz has lower lag than 144fps at 144Hz.
Hi, I asked this a couple years ago, and im still using an XG2401. Now that the dust has setled: which is the best QW and QL monitor at 24"-25"? Considering that QW I run at capped 308 fps but apparently benefits from hz as high as possible, but QL runs at 250 max fps for some reason, so not sure about that.

I have been learning more about this stuff. What concerns me is that the annoyances of using an CRT I had back in the day, where I could use them without taking breaks for some reason, which I think had to do with the way the image is displayed, would come back with IPS, but not sure the people complaining about IPS headaches and eye discomfort is also in default mode or only when using these strobing hacks things, so I ended up stayin with the XG2401 which, while the colors suck and I still can't enjoy watching a movie or playing a darker game than Quake, I can at least use for a long time without problems.

I just come here every X years hoping there's a replacement yet, and im not sure we are there yet. If I were to upgrade to a newer model only to find out I notice more ghosting, input lag, or headaches compared to this monitor, it would be pretty lame. Now im wondering if these OLED monitors will get better and in 2 years we will have time-tested them enough to know if burn in is a problem. The wait seems to never end isn't it.

thizito

Post by thizito » 24 May 2023, 21:13

you can use 333fps and 500fps, u just have to not be ilegal
plenty people done that. but 333fps if server is full the server will lag a bit
500fps no footsteps sounds so its literally cheating
so the engine is made for 250.. i think is made even for 125fps to be honest.
the source code is on web u can see q3 code and its almost exactly like quakelive. the cvars of q3 works in ql.

noone understand what is strobing.. strobing not gonna make ur tracking, ur lightning gun better.
in fact, it will MAKE IT WORSE

just buy whatever is the fastest monitor.. highest hz. lowest response time etc... cause physics dont lie.
fast = faster

stop believing in multi milionare company like benq , with bilionare advertising
and his "features" to promote themselves to GaMeRs..

strobing is to immitate CRT. strobing is for console games.. low framerate games... stuff like these. no space for it in super competitive like quake.

quake3

Post by quake3 » 29 May 2023, 19:47

thizito wrote:
24 May 2023, 21:13
you can use 333fps and 500fps, u just have to not be ilegal
plenty people done that. but 333fps if server is full the server will lag a bit
500fps no footsteps sounds so its literally cheating
so the engine is made for 250.. i think is made even for 125fps to be honest.
the source code is on web u can see q3 code and its almost exactly like quakelive. the cvars of q3 works in ql.

noone understand what is strobing.. strobing not gonna make ur tracking, ur lightning gun better.

just buy whatever is the fastest monitor.. highest hz. lowest response time etc... cause physics dont lie.
fast = faster

stop believing in multi milionare company like benq , with bilionare advertising
and his "features" to promote themselves to GaMeRs..

strobing is to immitate CRT. strobing is for console games.. low framerate games... stuff like these. no space for it in super competitive like quake.
So rapha has the best monitor in the game now? 500hz Alienware. But is IPS, doesnt this add blurryness and some input lag compared to top TN?

rapha - Alienware 500Hz Gaming Monitor (AW2524H)
k1llsen - ASUS ROG PG259QN

So those are the top 2 players and are using IPS, however one should ask: are they using this because it's the best objectively, or because they get paid to do so? would they use TNs if they could freely choose a monitor? it's one of those things.

Boop

Post by Boop » 29 May 2023, 20:26

quake3 wrote:
29 May 2023, 19:47
rapha - Alienware 500Hz Gaming Monitor (AW2524H)
Team Liquid players get free sponsored hardware from Alienware/Dell. Unfortunately, the AW2524H has bad response times and is not well suited for 500Hz. Rapha also got a free Alienware 360Hz when they came out a few years ago.

In the current Quake Champions PTS there is a hard FPS cap of 250. Not sure if it will make it to the live build, but Syncerror believes the current movement input issues are caused by >250 FPS.

Quake Live has a hard FPS cap of 250 due to physics and sound problems with footsteps. There are some people using memory editors to bypass this hard limit, but you need to have a stable net connection and low ping to not stutter around and get "Connection Interrupted" messages across your screen while playing online.

As for strobing in Quake Live, I definitely notice dodge cues from Keel much faster and can predict where to place rockets easier with strobing enabled. Also, if you're flying around the map quickly, you will see targets much clearer and be able to hit shots while in motion more often. I notice myself hitting more rail shots this way when using my XG2431. The enemies look like they're moving slower just because of how clear they become.

Traveler

Post by Traveler » 30 May 2023, 04:04

Boop wrote:
29 May 2023, 20:26
Unfortunately, the AW2524H has bad response times and is not well suited for 500Hz.
So, that one is not an upgrade to XL2566K?
Maybe the 540Hz one will be.
In the current Quake Champions PTS there is a hard FPS cap of 250. Not sure if it will make it to the live build, but Syncerror believes the current movement input issues are caused by >250 FPS.
Where can I read more about it?
As for strobing in Quake Live, I definitely notice dodge cues from Keel much faster and can predict where to place rockets easier with strobing enabled. Also, if you're flying around the map quickly, you will see targets much clearer and be able to hit shots while in motion more often. I notice myself hitting more rail shots this way when using my XG2431. The enemies look like they're moving slower just because of how clear they become.
Same thing in Quake Champions?.. strobing helps you?

Utini

Post by Utini » 31 May 2023, 01:15

Can anyone in here compare the MAG251RX directly vs the XG2431?

I did the research from the available reviews and to me this seems to be the end result:

Parameter: MAG251RX / XG2431
Price (EU): 290€ / 370€
Size: 24.5" / 23.8"
Contrast: 1200 / 800
Brightness: 435 / 340
Input Lag: Both very similar
Response time: Both very similar
Color volume and accuracy calibrated: Both very similar
Strobing: Both very similar (MAG251RX probably brighter, XG2431 probably a tiny bit better tuneable)

So going from these parameters it seems like the winner would be the MAG251RX.
Now there is a noticeably difference in OSD / configurability.
The MAG251RX has a great OSD and additionally a software that lets you adjust all OSD settings within the OS (unfortunately not Linux) on the fly. On the other hand, the XG2431 are the PureXP tool which gives way more configuration choices regarding strobing / overdrive.

I am probably lacking the tools to take the full advantage of the PureXP tool.
Also from the reviews I have seen it seems like the final outcome will still be very similar.

Could anyone provide some input on my summary or maybe even a direct comparison?

Thanks in advance!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 May 2023, 01:56

thizito wrote:
no space for it in super competitive like quake.
Fact Check: "It Depends"

We're both correct. But you have to understand why we're both correct.

Doesn't Help CS:GO or Valorant Much, But It Helps Other Esports

It doesn't help hide-and-snipe games like CS:GO or Valorant as much as other games. Strobing doesn't help stationary gaze at crosshairs very much.

But strobing it helps "stare at everything during middle of continuous movement" situations like arena games a lot -- including some Quake Live arenas.

The Rainbow Six esports champion from a few years ago used strobing.

While strobe adds a bit of lag (~2ms from average(top,center,bottom) photodiode measurements, for 240Hz strobe versus unstrobed), strobe CAN speed up human reaction time in some games.

If the specific game allows you to use strobing to reduce human reaction time more than the strobe lag, then you win anyway.

The Art of Slight Increase In Display Lag For Bigger Reductions In Human Lag

Remember, reviewers don't measure the human-lag (reaction time) portion of input-lag.

The human reaction time is a hidden part of the lag chain you need to be aware of.

The benefit varies a lot, depending on how your eyes move & how the game mechanics benefit from strobing.

But here's a specific example for a specific person in a specific game:
Who cares if strobing adds +2ms lag...
...if it reduces human lag -10ms by letting you react faster with a specific game tactic!
You're still saving a net of 8ms lag.

Human & Reaction Time as Part of Latency Chain

Examples

Example1: Motion blur can hide camoflaged enemies during fast continuous movements (arena-style thrashing without stationary camp/snipe moments), and strobing removes the motion blur that hides the camouflaged enemies.

Example2: Motion blur can make RTS pans very blurry, if you want to watch what happens mid-DOTA2-pan. Strobing can help you read the labels above enemies in realtime during a 2000+ pixels/sec fast-pan like www.testufo.com/framerates-versus ... Not everybody practices the "work-the-RTS-faster-with-fewer-panning-pauses" technique, but some do!

Example3: High speed low-altitude helicoptor flybys over a forest, shooting hiding enemies below. The continuous scrolling creates motion blur that makes it hard to see the camoflaged enemies.
Etc
Etc
Etc

Less motion blur = you kill enemy sooner in THESE specific cases.

Sometimes strobing speeds up human reaction time MORE than the strobe lag, in CERTAIN games with CERTAIN game-play tactics!

It can even be very map-specific, e.g. it only helps some Quake Live maps (the wide open areas that force you to keep moving around continuously, and your eyes spend more than 50% of the time moving away from crosshairs).

To find out how to use strobing to reduce human reaction time correctly, in the correct esports game, please read this FAQ:
HOWTO: Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively

Strobing is useful in esports -- but not in all games -- and not for all gameplay tactics

Right Tool For Right Game!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Boop

Post by Boop » 31 May 2023, 02:32

thizito wrote:
Strobing won't make you the king of 1v1 Thunderstruck LG duels, but it helps a lot in other fast game modes.
Traveler wrote:
30 May 2023, 04:04
Where can I read more about it?
They discuss the PTS changes in the main Quake discord.

Traveler wrote:
30 May 2023, 04:04
Same thing in Quake Champions?.. strobing helps you?
I think it helps more in Quake Live Clan Arena where multiple targets are moving around at fast speeds. You're constantly switching targets, doubling with teammates, rotating around the map very quickly by rocket jumping and strafe jumping, going for angles to clutch rounds or dish out damage, and also making yourself difficult to hit by dodging or rocket jumping off walls to gain speed to avoid fights where you're at a disadvantage. Everything just looks clear and in focus while strobing and it feels like playing on a CRT.

Fast games like Xonotic would benefit from it as well.

phpBB [video]