ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
royale00

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by royale00 » 03 Dec 2021, 11:03

ysenojftw wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 07:40
royale00 wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 14:09
ysenojftw wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 00:31
Can we get some settings recommendations for games for this monitor? Lowest lag with blur settings?
Just got this monitor a few days ago coming from an Alienware AW2521H 360hz. Messing with the custom strobing setting with the ViewSonic strobe utility this is what I found works for me @ 240hz.

xg2431_my_strobe_settings.png
I will give these a try, did you notice any input lag with purexp?
I haven't noticed any input lag issues feels as good as the top tier 240hz IPS monitors I've tried (MAG251RX, XG270, VG259QM)

Discorz
VIP Member

Re: ViewSonic XG2431 Discussion Thread [Blur Busters Approved XG2431 - 24" 240Hz IPS with Best Strobing]

Post by Discorz » 03 Dec 2021, 13:16

namcost wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 19:39
Oh wow man, its a first! Confirmed fast IPS, a little faster panel than 2019 gen. Seems to be as nicely tuned as XG270.

It would be great if u managed to get 0-100 times because as you know 10-90 are a bit misleading. Did you do some overshoot (%) measurements by any chance? There should be no noticeable over or under shoot at 240Hz Ultra Fast as we know from this shot. So I'm a bit confused with moderate++ description. Did you mean for for full VRR range or fixed 240 as table says?

To check full VRR range and overdrive behavior maybe you could do Advanced or Ultra Fast at 240, 144 and 60 Hz.

These are just your measurements but randomly in RTINGS style.

XG2431 Rise-Fall 10-90% 240Hz Standard RTINGS Unofficial.png
XG2431 Rise-Fall 10-90% 240Hz Standard RTINGS Unofficial.png (19.68 KiB) Viewed 5044 times
XG2431 Rise-Fall 10-90% 240Hz Advanced RTINGS Unofficial.png
XG2431 Rise-Fall 10-90% 240Hz Advanced RTINGS Unofficial.png (19.54 KiB) Viewed 5044 times
XG2431 Rise-Fall 10-90% 240Hz Ultra Fast RTINGS Unofficial.png
XG2431 Rise-Fall 10-90% 240Hz Ultra Fast RTINGS Unofficial.png (18.2 KiB) Viewed 5044 times
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

AM_acc1q

Post by AM_acc1q » 03 Dec 2021, 15:37

royale00 wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 14:09
ysenojftw wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 00:31
Can we get some settings recommendations for games for this monitor? Lowest lag with blur settings?
Just got this monitor a few days ago coming from an Alienware AW2521H 360hz. Messing with the custom strobing setting with the ViewSonic strobe utility this is what I found works for me @ 240hz.

xg2431_my_strobe_settings.png
I'm interested in 120hz, since that's what it's locked to on Xbox Series X.

@Chief Blur Buster
Can QFT be used on gaming consoles? The app used is a Windows tool, so I'm not sure if there's a way to write the values to the firmware...

JDnoob

Post by JDnoob » 03 Dec 2021, 16:18

There is likely variability between video cards/drivers as some people seem to not get 120hz as an option on PC as a default and have to add it as a custom resolution. Not sure as I didn’t have that issue but for the people having it you probably just want to add a custom 120hz resolution in CRU anyways for the benefits of QFT so no biggy.

This is a very fast IPS panel! Up to 120hz crosstalk-free with IPS colors and viewing angles is a first of its kind and huge upgrade from TN! Imperfect blacks is only major remaining imperfection.

QFT cannot be used on gaming consoles at this time unfortunately but the chief was talking about how future monitors could have a QFT toggle built-in. Not sure if the XG2431 supports upgradable firmware so this could be added at a later date?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Dec 2021, 17:39

namcost wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 19:48
Can you give this formula for 120hz for testing? I need to know what to plug into Nvidia control panel in order to setup the 120hz mode. Currently 120hz doesn't show up in my list. Its only 100/144/240 in terms of what shows up.
Your reply require two separate answers for two separate unrelated issues:

1. Your 120Hz will show up in a different part of NVIDIA Control Panel. There's multiple copies of "1920x1080" in the list. One of them lists 50/60/120 and the other one lists 100/144/240.

2. The generic QFT formula sequence is published in Quick Frame Transport HOWTO - Creating Working Large Vertical Totals. But DO NOT modify the 120Hz mode, you must modify a copy of the 240Hz mode to create QFT modes of any lower Hz! And re-read the instructions at bottom of www.blurbusters.com/xg2431 first.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Dec 2021, 17:43

Angel Soler wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 01:39
Hello Chief!!
I need to know if the XG2431 has less inputlag in strobe mode at 60hz (consoles) than the XP2411P
Contrary to popular belief, Blur Busters is not a monitor reviewer. We invent the tests that monitor reviewers use, and we do not compete with monitor reviewers that use the Blur Busters invented tests.

Please vote at RTINGS Suggest-a-Monitor:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9423

I can say an opinion from what I've seen since I have an old XL2411Z here too. I can say, however, XG2431 60Hz console strobing looks better than XL2411Z strobing by a quick glance.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

namcost

Post by namcost » 03 Dec 2021, 17:51

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 17:39
The generic QFT formula sequence is published in Quick Frame Transport HOWTO - Creating Working Large Vertical Totals. But DO NOT modify the 120Hz mode, you must modify a copy of the 240Hz mode to create QFT modes of any lower Hz! And re-read the instructions at bottom of www.blurbusters.com/xg2431 first.
So, you are saying, open Nvidia control panel. Custom resolution. But only do this while I am already on 240hz. That way when I switch from automatic timing to "manual" it will have the proper stats for starting off. AND THEN from there, you double/triple/quadruple the total vertical pixel number? And that's it?

My 240hz stats when doing that states

Active Pixels: 1920/1080

Front Porch: 23/57

Sync Width: 32/8

Total Pixels: 2030/1160

Polarity: +/-

So from that, I should change the refresh rate now to 120hz and then change the vertical total pixels to a higher number? correct?

Because honestly, I did this, and there was still a ton of crosstalk. Generally using the custom purexp application in windows, either crosstalk is heavy at the top, and as you increase the second strobe pulse you can see the crosstalk shift. It started mainly at the top, and then comes down to where the entire screen has crosstalk, ending with most of the bottom having crosstalk. almost like its 180 degrees out of phase.... No matter what, its a ton of crosstalk. I have yet to see a perfect image like you claim. I even tried 60hz doing the same. Still a ton of crosstalk. Again seeming like its 180 degrees out of phase in terms of crosstalk adjustment.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Dec 2021, 18:39

namcost wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 17:51
Because honestly, I did this, and there was still a ton of crosstalk. Generally using the custom purexp application in windows, either crosstalk is heavy at the top, and as you increase the second strobe pulse you can see the crosstalk shift. It started mainly at the top, and then comes down to where the entire screen has crosstalk, ending with most of the bottom having crosstalk. almost like its 180 degrees out of phase.... No matter what, its a ton of crosstalk. I have yet to see a perfect image like you claim. I even tried 60hz doing the same. Still a ton of crosstalk. Again seeming like its 180 degrees out of phase in terms of crosstalk adjustment.
Using Advanced QFT Modes On XG2431 Requires Strobe Utility Re-Adjustment

Built-in factory strobe tuning is only for non-QFT modes.

High quality strobing with QFT modes requires "PureXP Custom" which you can adjust via Strobe Utility.

Step by step instructions: www.blurbusters.com/xg2431
The instructions are very easy to do. And you can't mess things up because adjusting this app only affects "PureXP Custom". So don't worry about touching the settings. If you are using the optional QFT modes, you must to re-tune them using PureXP Custom with Strobe Utility.

Please post your Strobe Utility screenshot. Thanks!

Based on your post, I've now added a new QFT disclaimer to QFT HOWTO:

IMPORTANT: To Finish QFT strobe crosstalk reduction:
- For ViewSonic XG2431, readjust via ViewSonic Strobe Utility
- For BenQ XL2411/XL2720, readjust via BenQ Strobe Utility
- For Eve Spectrum, readjust via Eve Strobe Utility

Currently, QFT strobe is not yet plug-n-play. No monitor manufacturers officially support plug-and-play QFT quite just yet, so it's a little more work for end users at the moment. Manufacturers simply follow the EDID formulas rather than an unpublished QFT formula -- but is otherwise really simple.

ysenojftw

Post by ysenojftw » 03 Dec 2021, 19:25

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 18:39
namcost wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 17:51
Using Advanced QFT Modes On XG2431 Requires Strobe Utility Re-Adjustment

Built-in factory strobe tuning is only for non-QFT modes.

High quality strobing with QFT modes requires "PureXP Custom" which you can adjust via Strobe Utility.

Step by step instructions: www.blurbusters.com/xg2431
The instructions are very easy to do. And you can't mess things up because adjusting this app only affects "PureXP Custom". So don't worry about touching the settings. If you are using the optional QFT modes, you must to re-tune them using PureXP Custom with Strobe Utility.

Please post your Strobe Utility screenshot. Thanks!

Based on your post, I've now added a new QFT disclaimer to QFT HOWTO:

IMPORTANT: To Finish QFT strobe crosstalk reduction:
- For ViewSonic XG2431, readjust via ViewSonic Strobe Utility
- For BenQ XL2411/XL2720, readjust via BenQ Strobe Utility
- For Eve Spectrum, readjust via Eve Strobe Utility

Currently, QFT strobe is not yet plug-n-play. No monitor manufacturers officially support plug-and-play QFT quite just yet, so it's a little more work for end users at the moment. Manufacturers simply follow the EDID formulas rather than an unpublished QFT formula -- but is otherwise really simple.
Would you recommend pre tuned 240hz mode out of the box for competive fps gaming while having fps double and capped at 500? I see you can go more in depth with the utility but is there a need to do that or a benefit per say?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Dec 2021, 19:47

ysenojftw wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 19:25
Would you recommend pre tuned 240hz mode out of the box for competive fps gaming while having fps double and capped at 500? I see you can go more in depth with the utility but is there a need to do that or a benefit per say?
Yes -- I recommend 240Hz VSYNC OFF for "latency priority strobing" (ala DyAc style or ELMB style). Yes, overkill framerates far beyond Hz is recommended when you're doing latency-priority strobing rather than quality-priority strobing.

The factory 240Hz XG2431 strobing is already very well-tuned out of the box, probably amongst the lowest-crosstalk 240Hz IPS for factory tuning. You can probably get slightly better with a very slight amount of retuning via Strobe Utility (after break-in and warm-up), but the 240Hz is already very good out of the box when it's compared versus 240Hz max-Hz strobing on any current 240Hz gaming monitor. No monitor on the market does zero-crosstalk 240Hz strobing anyway, but it's top of the class for 240Hz IPS strobing.

Optional for easy strobing, but if you want to keep 240Hz low-lag but try to improve a bit further -- you may want to break-in the panel (run it for a week) and then re-tune it with Strobe Utility to get a bit better than factory in some cases (strobe equivalent of retuning color with a colorimeter). Panel variances and temperatures means it's possible to get 10%-15% better than factory strobe tuning in some cases.

Latency Priority Strobing
Just use 240Hz and VSYNC OFF & extreme framerates, like you normally use with any esports monitor.

Quality Priority Strobing
Use refresh rate headroom + QFT mode + Strobe Utility (to more accurately mimic CRT tube)